LHTH all in one sitting or sprinkled through the day?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Christi in Ohio

LHTH all in one sitting or sprinkled through the day?

Post by Christi in Ohio » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:48 am

Just wondering if anyone can share how LHTH has worked for them? I have it scheduled to be broken out through the day. My DD doesn't seem to thrilled with that. She didn't want to listen to the Bible reading and refused to do any circle time songs or finger plays. :roll: Part of it is starting back up with a new routine after a couple weeks of free-for-all for her. I am wondering if I might be better to have a school bin that we get out and sit at the table and get everything done in one sitting.

Thanks to anyone who can share.

Blessings,
Christi
DS1(17) - Private high school
DD(12) blessed with down syndrome
DS2(7) - Sonlight Core B
DD2(4.5) - just enjoying life tagging on where she can

Motherjoy

Re: LHTH all in one sitting or sprinkled through the day?

Post by Motherjoy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:07 am

We do it all in one sitting. It doesn't take long and they enjoy it.

Anytime you take a break and the kids have a 'free for all', it is going to take some adjusting back to the routine.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

eachlee

Post by eachlee » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:42 am

We do it all in one sitting here. The only time I split up the work is if there is an art project that isn't appropriate for my 18 month old to 'join in' on. If at all possible I let the littlest think he's doing the same as the bigger kids by giving him whatever they have and letting him go to town. :D
Nancy, mom to 3
DS6 - LHFHG, ER and BLHFHG Spelling
DD5 - LHFHG
DS3 - My little climber

We have also loved using LHTH!

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:47 am

We do ours all in one sitting as well, unless something urgent comes up. We also do it in the morning, right after breakfast most days while she is at her most easily persuaded into sitting still. lol.
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:50 am

I did the same as eachlee.

Jenn
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:23 pm

We "sprinkled" when we went through it. :) I had a newborn at the time that made things rather unpredictable, so we kept things light-hearted and flexible. My preference would be to do it all in one shot, but sometimes the littler ones don't make that possible!
~8 yr old DD
~6 yr old DD
~4 yr old DS
~2 yr old DS

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:36 pm

We "sprinkle" it through the morning, b/c I've two olders doing Beyond. So we fit it in when it makes sense. Many times the olders join in, b/c it's like a little break-time for them, and my dd (age 8 yrs) loves to read the Bible Story to her little brother.

Sure, it would be ideal to do it all at once, but I'm just glad to get anything done with my youngest at this point! :-) It's keeping me accountable to work with him, too, now!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

GinainMD

Post by GinainMD » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:04 pm

I really originally intended to spread LHTH out into very short bits of time, however, once we started I was so surprised at how eager DD3 was and how she enjoyed LHTH so much that she was able to complete all of the blocks of activities pretty much consecutively. Occasionally we will be interrupted by something that just cannot wait, but for the most part we finish the entire days activities in one sitting. We also do LHTH in the morning before the older girls lessons which makes for less interruptions when the big girls and I do get to their lessons, kwim, as DD3 has already had my full attention. I have found that LHTH is flexible so do whatever works best for you and your DD and don't feel locked in. Also, sometimes I'll read while the children are eating their lunch or playing with playdoh, etc. It always amazes me how they can look as if they are in their own little world but are really absorbing everything.HTH
Gina
married to dh 2000
dd 12/01 Bigger
dd 08/03 Bigger
dd 03/07 LHTH
dd 06/08 LHTH

gmhaynes

Post by gmhaynes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:06 pm

We do it all in one sitting. I find once they have the "free" time, it is all downhill!

Mary
Wife to Guy for 13 years
dd9 in Preparing
ds7 in Beyond
ds5 in LHFHG
ds3 starting LHTH
Deut 6:4-9

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:51 pm

I've done it all in one sitting with my dd (3) this year. It works well for us because once school is finished, the rest of the day is left for play and other activities that are planned.
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:07 pm

We do it all in one sitting. Unless we get interrupted or something comes up - discipline issue - which I hardly ever have while we're doing LHTH. I like to get it done first thing after breakfast, while I still have the motivation!

The activities are so short it would be hard for me to break it up through the day. I am starting to do Handwriting activities with my oldest at other times, but I see that as a separate activity.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:22 pm

another vote for All One Sitting...

but I will admit I some times do the read aloud after dinner, and after recess she does poetry copying, handwriting and spelling practice on her own. (to encourage self study habits)
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫