Need to stall on the HOD ladder?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krismoose

Need to stall on the HOD ladder?

Post by krismoose » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:34 pm

Hi all,
I'm approaching the end of LHFHG with my 5.5 yo ds, and we have really enjoyed it. So has my 3 yo dd, which is what has me reconsidering my original plan to start Beyond half-speed this summer. They really enjoy doing all the activities together, and I'm actually amazed at what my dd is picking up from the different readings. Nothing deep, she's three :wink: but still, she's following along well. The couple of times that she was sick and didn't join in, my ds was not interested in the activities much.. "What's next Mom, I'm done..." He does K level math, TRL and handwriting while she plays with special toys in their room. So looking at Beyond (I have the manual), I can see there will be fewer activities she can participate in meaningfully, so I'm thinking of waiting until he's 8 and she's 5.5, and starting it slowly to let her grow into it. Truthfully, I like the idea of not repeating a guide 3x, but just once more down the road with our new baby...I like variety :D And when I've prayed about it, I just feel like they're supposed to be together for now. So now I have 2-2.5 years to fill. We'll continue with Singapore slowly (he's in 1A now, and we often take 2 days to complete a lesson) and probably start the emerging readers when TRL is finished next month, and continue handwriting, but for the "fun stuff" Bible, science, art etc, I'm thinking of doing MFW K next, then maybe MFW 1st. Any thoughts or other suggestions for other meaningful activities that are all spelled out for me that my 3yo can participate in with us? :D I really love how spirit-filled HOD is, and I kind of wish we hadn't done LHFHG so early :wink: :lol:
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

sharonb

Re: Need to stall on the HOD ladder?

Post by sharonb » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:39 am

Someone else commented that LHFHG is more challenging than MFW K, so if you pick that, you might need to add to it for your oldest. Plus, MFW K includes phonics, but I guess you can skip that part if you already have another program.

Another option is Galloping the Globe. It can be used for 1-3 years, so you can spread it out. I haven't used it myself, but I've read a lot of positive reviews. If you get the full bundle it covers the countries, missionaries, science (with Considering God's Creation), animals, cooking, etc.

GracieMarie

Post by GracieMarie » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:14 pm

Check in to Five in a Row. You can pick and choose from their manuals what both your children would be able to participate in.
Beyond ds 2nd grade and dd 4th grade (with LA portions of bigger)
CTC dd 7th grade
little guy with down syndrome starting LHTH soon.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:20 pm

krismoose wrote:Hi all,
I'm approaching the end of LHFHG with my 5.5 yo ds, and we have really enjoyed it. So has my 3 yo dd, which is what has me reconsidering my original plan to start Beyond half-speed this summer. They really enjoy doing all the activities together, and I'm actually amazed at what my dd is picking up from the different readings. Nothing deep, she's three :wink: but still, she's following along well. The couple of times that she was sick and didn't join in, my ds was not interested in the activities much.. "What's next Mom, I'm done..." He does K level math, TRL and handwriting while she plays with special toys in their room. So looking at Beyond (I have the manual), I can see there will be fewer activities she can participate in meaningfully, so I'm thinking of waiting until he's 8 and she's 5.5, and starting it slowly to let her grow into it. Truthfully, I like the idea of not repeating a guide 3x, but just once more down the road with our new baby...I like variety :D And when I've prayed about it, I just feel like they're supposed to be together for now. So now I have 2-2.5 years to fill. We'll continue with Singapore slowly (he's in 1A now, and we often take 2 days to complete a lesson) and probably start the emerging readers when TRL is finished next month, and continue handwriting, but for the "fun stuff" Bible, science, art etc, I'm thinking of doing MFW K next, then maybe MFW 1st. Any thoughts or other suggestions for other meaningful activities that are all spelled out for me that my 3yo can participate in with us? :D I really love how spirit-filled HOD is, and I kind of wish we hadn't done LHFHG so early :wink: :lol:
Well, I can see what you are saying here, and I'm so glad to hear you are praying about it - so take God's advice first please, whatever that may be. :wink: What a blessing your 2 dc enjoy working together. :) I am thinking that your little one is really little though - and a lot can change in the next 2 to 2 1/2 years. Hmmmmm. :? Could you do Beyond half-speed 4 days a week with ds, and do LHTH with dd, clipping along quickly? If you had a quick pace with her and a slow pace with him, the 2 would meet up eventually. The two could do whatever you wanted from each other's school and enjoy that very much. Also, that would give you some time to continue to see how the two of them work together, and if their academics match up well enough to do so. I'd just hate for you to miss the building that goes on from one guide to the next, but I really can see this is a toughie. Praying for you!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:48 pm

Good ideas, thank you! I think GTG would be more involved than I want to do right now, but it does look fun. FIAR may be more our speed for the time being... Julie, I agree I'd rather do things uninterrupted, but maybe we'll wait until the 3yo is starting the sequence and her older brother can do it with extras. This past year has been great, but I can see how much more ds would get out of it if he was a bit older. But then we need to decide if we care how much history is completed before high school :roll: :) Perhaps we'll do something else for the coming year and then start Beyond...I think *I'd* get tired of American History if we stretch Beyond and Bigger out too much :D Or maybe we'll just end up doing separate guides after all :lol:
Kristen
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:48 pm

krismoose,

While only you will know what is best for your children, I just wanted to pop-in and mention a few things that I've learned along our homeschool journey. While it is good to look ahead and plan for the future, the future also includes many unknowns. So, we've discovered that if something is working well, it is a gift and one that is worth celebrating! There is also a tremendous blessing that comes from continuing on the HOD path from guide to guide with as little interruption in the sequence as possible, as one guide builds so well upon the next. In that way you'll truly see the fruit long-term of the incremental plans, rather than having every year feel like a challenge due to switching curriculum providers from year to year. :D

I did my share of switching and searching with my oldest son, so I can see what you are thinking. I spent years trying to figure out how to combine my oldest two sons (who are 3 and 1/2 years apart) only to find that their personalities and learning styles were so different that separating them ended up to be best. So, don't throw out the option of continuing on the HOD path too quickly, as switching curriculums often does have its set-backs. :wink:

If you do choose to go a different route than HOD, only you can know if that is the path that is right for your family. I pray the Lord will show you His will for you in this area, as His best is most important. :D Since the purpose of the HOD board is to discuss how to better use HOD in our own homes, if you do a choose a different route than HOD you'd have to discuss those options on that curriculum provider's board. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks, Carrie, for your words of wisdom :D I agree, I don't want to jump around, so we may just take a short break until ds is 6 in the fall and then start Beyond. I struggle with wanting to have a future plan, but yet holding it in an open hand for God to rework as needed. I appreciate everyone's input :D
Kristen

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:10 pm

Kristen,

I totally relate to your dilemma as mine is similar. DD 5, about to start K in the fall. I have been doing LHTH with the 5YO and my 3YO together this year and we have all really loved it! But I don't feel repeating it is right, even if I add in reading, writing, and math. It is encouraging to me that your K-er and 3YO have been able to enjoy the LHFHG activities together, my 3YO is a watcher and will probably enjoy them too. I see how later down the line the HOD books will really allow me to keep my girls together, but right now it's difficult to see how that can work. Also though it seems I will have to repeat a book with my oldest to make that happen... but we will see.

Melissa
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Ladies,

Sometimes just slowing a book down or going half-speed for awhile can be enough time to allow the younger to grow up enough to join the older one. For example if you did LHFHG at half-speed over two years, the younger one could join the older one and be much closer to the target age range of Beyond next. While doing LHFHG over two years, you could do daily phonics/math/handwriting for the older (or for both kiddos) and just stretch the other areas. Then, once you got to Beyond, you could go 4 days a week, stretching 9 weeks into the next school year to finish. This would enable your younger to grow up even more before heading into Bigger Hearts. :D

Or, you may find as you journey that your oldest is a self-starter and raring to go. Then, you may be more comfortable just separating the kiddos into their own programs. :D Or, you may find the reverse to be true and your oldest to be a bit less academic and your second born to be raring to go. If this is the case, then combining would be a better way to go. There are many options, and quite a few of the options can be changed mid-way through a school year quite easily by simply slowing down or bumping up a guide to full-speed to best meet your family's goals. :D

In all honesty, kiddos change so much in just 3 months time that it can be hard to make a "combine" or "not combining" plan way ahead of time. You honestly may not know until you get a bit closer to beginning your school year. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:14 pm

MelInKansas wrote:Kristen,

I totally relate to your dilemma as mine is similar. DD 5, about to start K in the fall. I have been doing LHTH with the 5YO and my 3YO together this year and we have all really loved it! But I don't feel repeating it is right, even if I add in reading, writing, and math. It is encouraging to me that your K-er and 3YO have been able to enjoy the LHFHG activities together, my 3YO is a watcher and will probably enjoy them too. I see how later down the line the HOD books will really allow me to keep my girls together, but right now it's difficult to see how that can work. Also though it seems I will have to repeat a book with my oldest to make that happen... but we will see.

Melissa
Hi Melissa! I just wanted to welcome you to the HOD Board! :D I'm so glad you've enjoyed LHTH. It is such fun to teach and to see our dc thriving. You will find all of HOD's guides to be this way - fun to teach and helping dc thrive. We have done just about everything Carrie just recommended in the previous post. HOD can easily be slowed down, spaced out, and adjusted according to what you find with our dc as they grow and mature. It's that flexible!

So, for all of you in situations such as these, I second Carrie's ideas here, as I have found them to work well for us. :D We fell on the end where it was easier not to combine, but others fall on the other end and thrive with combining. All I can say is move forward with HOD with the best pace and combining/not combining scenario for now, and then what would be best will emerge. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie