Copywork Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
psreit

Copywork Question

Post by psreit » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:50 pm

One more question. When doing copywork, do any of you have your children use writing tablets, or do you use notebook paper. My dd has a struggle with handwriting. When she was making valentines for her friends at school, I was concerned by what I saw in her writing skills. Her teacher feels she is doing well in her manuscript writing, but she is doing it on lines. I know she is having some problems with formation, but I don't know if I can make a difference while she is in school. I tried showing her the proper way to make a lower case 'e' and because her teacher has not told her different, she does not think it matters. Am I being too fussy? DD has had occupational therapy for this very thing. This was an area of concern for the therapist and myself when I put dd in school. Her teacher isn't seeing the problems. How strong should I be on formation? She will be in school until early June.

Pam in PA
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

annaz

Re: Copywork Question

Post by annaz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:36 pm

psreit wrote:One more question. When doing copywork, do any of you have your children use writing tablets, or do you use notebook paper. My dd has a struggle with handwriting. When she was making valentines for her friends at school, I was concerned by what I saw in her writing skills. Her teacher feels she is doing well in her manuscript writing, but she is doing it on lines. I know she is having some problems with formation, but I don't know if I can make a difference while she is in school. I tried showing her the proper way to make a lower case 'e' and because her teacher has not told her different, she does not think it matters. Am I being too fussy? DD has had occupational therapy for this very thing. This was an area of concern for the therapist and myself when I put dd in school. Her teacher isn't seeing the problems. How strong should I be on formation? She will be in school until early June.

Pam in PA
First, how old is dd? I personally use grade 1 or grade 2 paper; the kind with the dotted line in the middle. That shows where letters should be placed.

I tend to have them learn the letters, then work on proper form. Copywork is to perfect the letters, not necessarily learn the letters. I took it in steps. My dd is just now perfecting her writing and she's in 3rd grade. Doesn't mean it's right, but in the long run I think it matters, but in due time.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:20 pm

Correct formation is important. Is she using a triangle grip pencil? also is she right handed or left? does she use the proper grip or wrap her thumb?
My DD1 uses special paper at school its white then yellow and so on... so she really can tell where the next line begins.
Also turning the paper at an angle is super important. She uses a slanted surface which has dramatically improved her copy work.

When I'm in your shoes I email the special ed teacher or O.T. and just ask them to talk about it to her. Once she hears it from them the problem may disappear.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:20 pm

DD is right handed and I believe she does well holding the pencil for the most part. The O.T. was doing Handwriting Without Tears with her. Capitals are done in boxes. She didn't really get into the lower case because dd went to school. When she went to school and had to write on lines, the O.T. was concerned that she would struggle with that. But, dd has done well with the lines. I think at a point it just clicked with her. It could have been her eyesight. She has glasses now that may have helped with the lines. She may have been seeing double from her eyes drifting. One thing the O.T. didn't agree with is that the school teacher said they concentrate on position (on the lines) first and worry about formation later. The O.T. thought formation should be taught first. I have a tendency to agree now that I see how dd is writing some of her letters. She is one that will get very frustrated if she is used to doing something a certain way and then someone tries to show her a different way. DD still has O.T. biweekly, working more on gross motor skills. I should probably ask her to work on lower case letters with her even though she is working on them at school. Just a few months to go at school, then.......BEYOND! I haven't ordered yet, but I'm definitely in!

Pam in PA
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:06 pm

I'm so with you! the last few months breaking the bad habits she formed in p/s last year in holding the pencil has been my latest trial. Once they get in a habit of making the letters wrong it can be so hard to break. I like your plan of having the O.T. work with her. Glasses helped my dd1 till we had surgery on her eyes. She still has tracking problems, we're doing eye exercises with her, the combo has really improved her fine motor control and her handwriting, its almost legible now *giggle*
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:35 pm

When just starting copywork, we used handwriting paper with wide lines, and I hi-lighted the stopping points like this:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4618&p=34014
Image Image

After awhile, like when he began the copywork of the Bible verse or the poem in Beyond, we actually used blank copy paper or a blank index card, and I drew lines with a ruler quite far apart. I did this because it was actually too time consuming for him at that point to use handwriting paper with the dotted line. It took him forever, and he was ready to write smaller, but not yet able to write on wide-lined paper. At this point, his writing looked like this:
Image Image Image

After that, he made the transition to wide-lined notebook paper. It helped for me to write the beginning word of each line for the poem, to remind him of the size of letters he was shooting for:

Now, he can finally write well on wide-lined notebook paper. For example for his dictation, we use a wide-lined composition book:

But, I still sometimes like to draw lines for him, since it gives him space to illustrate his poetry:

It really is amazing how dc's writing continues to improve over time with some guidance. I agree that letter formation is first and foremost, but once they have that down, the steps above helped both of our dc become neat, confident writers - with some patience on my end (not a natural virtue of mine :oops: ). I hope this helps! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

psreit

Post by psreit » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Thanks for the pictures, Julie. Angelina wants to write big and spread her letters far apart, so that gives some ideas for writing in Beyond. Until she is no longer in school, I can only ask the O.T. to work on her lower case letters. Because she is doing that work at school, I don't want to overwhelm her by having her do extra at home. She would cooperate doing a little at O.T. When I see her forming a letter wrong, I have to be tactful. She gets defensive and says her teacher loves her handwriting :) She enjoys making a game out of everything, so that would be another approach. Isn't it funny? When I decided to put Angie in school, I had such peace about it. Although I feel that school has been good for her in some ways, now I have such peace about bringing her home. I've known for a while, but HOD has solidified it. In fact, I'm going to order Beyond right now!

Pam in PA
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12