Help Me Please!!(I thought I had it all planned out)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momto3ms

Help Me Please!!(I thought I had it all planned out)

Post by momto3ms » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:53 pm

My name is Sonya, I thought I had prayerfully decided to use MFW for next year, and then I can across HOD. I had my husband look over HOD as well, and I just need to get some answers. I have 3 children ages 13, 10 and soon to be 5. This is our 7th year of homeschooling and we have used a mix of curriculums from R&S to Robinson Curriculum to Abeka. My biggest challenge is my 13yo ds, he is a very artistic driven child, he enjoys drawing, and sculpting with clay. We have studied Ancients for history along with timelines to give him more hands on, but school does not inspire him, I have tried different things to no avail. I had thought and prayed about using MFW ECC next year, that way I could give him hands on capabilities. Then I saw HOD, and I have been reading the posts and really enjoying the the messages and testimonials. What has really drawn me is the drawing through history in Preparing and HFHTT. He is a very reluctant writer and I really want to inspire him to do his absolute best, but nothing so far that we have used has given him any inspiration. My dd on the other hand who is 10, absolutely loves to read whatever she can put her hands on, and will do her school work before I get up in the morning. I keep them together and beef up the subjects for their age levels. Please assist me with which HOD I should use for them, I would really like to keep them together. I am not understanding the difference with Preparing and HFHTT. I am feeling lead to use this, but I am not really understanding what I would need for next year, nor how to implement it. Sorry for such a long post. Thanks for all of your help.
www.momto3ms.blogspot.com
------------------------------------------------
Matthew 13yo - 7th grade
MacKenzie 10yo 5th grade
Mason 4yo Preschool
Soon to be official HOD in the new school year

Teena6

Re: Help Me Please!!(I thought I had it all planned out)

Post by Teena6 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:05 pm

I am sure Carrie... will pipe in here and share.

Just wanting to encourage you.... we have been hs-ing 18+ yrs and my two youngest are 17 months apart.... and I am so enjoying LHFHG..... our 11 yr old is in Bigger... but I wanted to start her there to get her a good year in US History. She loves it and is really learning. She falls in love with the people she reads about and how it all correlates together.

I know you will love it. I have friends who use Sonlight.... and I have looked at it and looked at it.... but I have never had the peace I have with HOD.

I am so very thankful for it.

Hope it was ok for me to share :D
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)

tmcg

Post by tmcg » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:58 pm

I totally understand your sentiment. I changed curriculums 3 times and that includes MFW. I used BJU, then my MFW and I definitely like HOD the best. Always remember that no curriculum is perfect, but what you need is something that is user-friendly, adaptable/flexible without extensive prep time (IMHO). Then you can make things fit your children instead of trying to fit your child into the curriculum. I used MFW only for K and found I was not as pleased with it as I had hoped. Another HS mom with older kids is not pleased with it either. She said it is a bit dry and she has to supplement it because she thinks it is not very challenging. The unit study idea is a good one and MFW and HOD are similar in that way. Both curriculums are promoted by those that like Ruth Beechick (if you are not familar with her, I'd suggest you take a look at her philsophy) and those on that discussion group because reading books instead of 100% is more realistic to real life learning than just "school learning."

HOD has been more adaptable, required less prep and been easier to follow. My 5 yo will be like your 13 yo.....when she does her math workbook, she then asks to color the pictures (whether part of the assignment or not). She is my little artist, she is good in math so far but just wants to be creative. I can only imagine what it will be like for her later on. I think you will be happier w/ HOD even though I have not used the other more advanced packages.

When it comes to history, could you give your 13 yo art projects. For example, if you are learning about pyramids and Egypt could you have your child create a pyramid, but first do research on what they looked like and their purpose. Have your child present the art project as part of a presentation that requires specific questions to be answered (so she must read and learn but not read chapters upon chapters, she is looking for specific information). Then, instead of having him write about history, have him pick an artist or something of interest to him and write about that or go to a museum and write about a specific painting analyzing the artist's style etc. I know of a great book that asks simple questions about famous paintings and would be a great starting ground. It is called "Come Look with Me..." series by Blizzard. If your child does not want to write for writing class or for history, then it might just be a matter of figuring out what she will enjoy writing about. If it does not matter, she is this way about everything ....then it comes down to an up front conversation that like it or not this is a life skill she will need because artists or (fill in the blank of what your child wants to be) need to be able to communicate orally and in writing. Sometimes we can accommodate our children and adapt things so they can get more out of their education but if this does not motivate them then it comes down to needing the skill to be successful in life. I also think that some children are not motivated by what they will need to know someday, but rather what they will miss out on now if they do not apply themselves more fully in something they are less than fond of. Meaning they can take a group art class or do a sport or whatever the activity if they are completing their writing assignments to a specific standard but if not he has to stop the activity for a given time or until things improve.

I do not specifically know the difference in the two programs you are looking at within HOD, but somebody has to know. I am just giving you my 2 cents about MFW vs. HOD and suggestions on how to make writing less of a drag.

HTH,
Tammy
Mom to dd, 6, 1st grade, LHFHG
dd, 5, Pre-K, LHTH
ds, 2, Toddler Pre-K, LHTH (he loves the songs)
Wife to Jonathan (12 years in June)

momto3ms

Post by momto3ms » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:51 pm

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. I posted another question because I am pretty much settled on using HOD, but I am like a kid in a candy store. I don't know what to choose.
www.momto3ms.blogspot.com
------------------------------------------------
Matthew 13yo - 7th grade
MacKenzie 10yo 5th grade
Mason 4yo Preschool
Soon to be official HOD in the new school year