HS question: Incorporating the beef-ups

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
flydena

Re: HS question: Incorporating the beef-ups

Post by flydena » Tue May 08, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm enjoying this thread and all of the great ideas! I have one also going into high school next year using RevtoRev. However, I always thought the extensions were in addition to the Reading About History box. Could someone please show me where it says otherwise? I certainly don't want to assign more reading if it is not required.

Thanks! And, please keep the awesome ideas coming!
Dena
Completed LHTH w/ DD3 & taking a yr off to grow into LHFHG
Completed PHFHG w/ DD2 & taking a yr off to save CtC for Jr High
and Completed RtR w/DS1 & moving on to Rev2Rev for High School
and I FEEL BLESSED TO HAVE FOUND HOD!

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Tue May 08, 2012 2:59 pm

flydena wrote:I'm enjoying this thread and all of the great ideas! I have one also going into high school next year using RevtoRev. However, I always thought the extensions were in addition to the Reading About History box. Could someone please show me where it says otherwise? I certainly don't want to assign more reading if it is not required.

Thanks! And, please keep the awesome ideas coming!
Your original assumption is correct. You need to do both the Reading About History and the Extension. The confusion is this: on the website/catalogue there are 4 major sections of resources listed in the packages:
1.) History
2.) Science
3.) History Read-Aloud also referred to as Basic
4.) Extension

The History Read-Aloud section, which is also called the Basic is the optional set for the high-schooler. If you are not familiar with the different "terminologies" it is easy to get the Basic set (set 3) confused with the History set (set 1). Basic set means storytime or read-aloud.

For High-school credit in history you need to utilize the first set and the fourth set.

Does this clarify for you? Let me know. I'll be glad to help further.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed May 09, 2012 11:58 am

I have an add-on question! :o

Is this high school credit-worthy as is (with extensions) or are there additional books, etc. that Carrie has recommended? I was thinking of doing this with my 7th grader in the fall (returning to HOD) but then wondered if I could have them combine, but I don't want to have to do a lot of extra choosing for him. So, trying to figure out if I should just do something completely different for him or if I can go with HOD with REV to REV. He'll be in 9th grade.

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Wed May 09, 2012 3:11 pm

InHistiming, yes, you can combine. Go up to the top of the main board (in the stickies) and look for beefing up for jr. high and high school.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

flydena

Post by flydena » Sat May 12, 2012 6:24 am

deltagal~

Thanks so much! That does help clarify. I do love all the books so much, that I'm not sure I want to skip any....even if they are not required, however my son may not feel the same way (as he is not one who LOVES to read as I do). So, I will really have to think about and pray about whether or not we do those story time (read aloud) books.

I very much appreciate the clarification, as I did not know they were optional.

Dena
Dena
Completed LHTH w/ DD3 & taking a yr off to grow into LHFHG
Completed PHFHG w/ DD2 & taking a yr off to save CtC for Jr High
and Completed RtR w/DS1 & moving on to Rev2Rev for High School
and I FEEL BLESSED TO HAVE FOUND HOD!

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Sat May 12, 2012 9:07 am

I do love all the books so much, that I'm not sure I want to skip any....even if they are not required, however my son may not feel the same way (as he is not one who LOVES to read as I do).
My son doesn't know that the Storytime titles are optional with the extensions added! He doesn't really like to read, but he reads well.

He did RTR this year with extensions (and storytime books) and was still done with school by 2:00, so I don't think doing all the books for Rev2Rev will be too much. I guess I can always change it if I find he is overwhelmed and having trouble getting done each day. Unless that happens, I would rather he reads them all. They are all such wonderful titles and each one adds so much.
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension