please tell me about One Small Square books

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ahngele

please tell me about One Small Square books

Post by ahngele » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:14 pm

Are those evolution free? From a creation veiwpoint?
thanks!

Tansy

Re: please tell me about One Small Square books

Post by Tansy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:57 am

I would say the recommend "square" books are neutral. Neither creation bent nor secular bent they are mainly reference books just giving information.

No not all one small square books are evolution free. The ones Carrie has chosen do not get into evolution. I can't remember any of her "chosen ones" bothering me. I have heard "swamp" covers evolution and "pond" had some "easily skippable" bits.

HOD's approach incorporates bible verses into the experiments to reinforce the fact God made the world and everything in it.

hope that helps.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:27 pm

Angie,

Tansy did a great job of answering your questions. We stick to the One Small Square books that do not mention evolution. Not all of the One Small Square books are equally excellent. The Swamp one is downright yucky. The Night Sky one is filled with evolution. If you stick with the ones in our guides, your kiddos will have a wonderful experience with them. We do weave the Bible throughout the science as Tansy mentioned. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:38 pm

It seems like I recall one of the first OSS books used in Bigger that had one evolutionary statement, but part of the assignment in the lesson was to find that statement and recognize it. I really appreciated that because it helped to open my dd's eyes to look for that type thing in other science related books she might get from the library.
Charlene

Rev2Rev (8th gr. ds)
World History (11th gr. dd)
HOD Users since 2007

ahngele

Post by ahngele » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Thank you for your responses. We are always looking out for evolution free science books to add to our personal library .

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:31 pm

wow... we love the one small square books. I was going to post that they are neutral.

I love all the information.

I didn't know some were not. I am glad you have done all the work Carrie and we can just enjoy ;)

I love how everything is brought back around to God.....

as always I am so very thankful for HOD. I am a veteran homeschooler but .... it came just when I needed it. :) God is good huh?

oh and to add to your science library .... don't forget the Apologia Elementary Science by Jeannie Fulbright.

oh another God thing.... before finding HOD... we read her books for science for Alyssa. Last year we did the "swimming creatures" and she loved it. This year we would of read "flying creatures" (and we have it) but we started with HOD. She is in Bigger and now she is reading ALL about birds!! And we pulled that book back out for experiments and we are bird watching and making bird feeders.... FUN.

I can not begin to tell you the peace I have with HOD.

sorry I am sure I rambled. :oops:
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)