Has a revised high school guide plan been stated?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
StillJulie

Has a revised high school guide plan been stated?

Post by StillJulie » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:07 am

I know that Carrie plans to finish up the World History guide this year, with the complete guide shipping out in spring.

Is it still the plan for the third high school guide still going to be written? Has any timetable been stated regarding when we can realistically expect to see sneak peeks and then the guide itself?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't take this as nagging. I am SO grateful for all that you do, Carrie, and I completely understand health restrictions affecting our goals. Thank you so much for all that you've already done. You are an immense blessing to my family and so many others.

I'm just thinking ahead and trying to plan. :)
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

my3sons

Re: Has a revised high school guide plan been stated?

Post by my3sons » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:18 pm

I talked with Carrie, and she will be doing the Sneak Peeks, but they will be much later in the year. She is thinking sometime between April and June, simply because the WH guide has to take precedence now. She does have a lot of the resources picked for the American History guide already, as she's been researching this throughout the past couple of years. It is my understanding that Mike and Carrie plan to go forward with the American History guide in the same way we have gone forward with the WH guide this year, as people have been very pleased. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:27 pm

From my own experience using the WH guide now, I just wanted to mention that Wyatt and I are personally very happy with the quality of the guide, the notebooking pages, and the format of the installments. They are equally as good as the other completed guides, other than they are not bound. Carrie and I are meeting each week to painstakingly edit everything, proof notebooks, etc.. Carrie is also meeting with our graphics designer weekly to complete the WH Student Notebook and WH Art Notebook to create each of the pages, one unit at a time, and they are of the same full color beautiful professional quality that they have always been. :D Then, each installment is compiled, copied, 3-hole punched, shrink-wrapped, and mailed out for free. This has been an incredible challenge, but it has provided a way for Heart of Dakota to make available the WH guide to its loyal customers a year earlier than would otherwise be possible. So, anyway, it is a true labor of love both for our wonderful HOD customers and for our own sons using the guide. So, Lord willing, we plan to provide this option again. :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:22 pm

Thanks for the update! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sounds great. So glad to hear it. I'm relieved. The thought of having to try to piece something together on my own after years and years of dependence on HOD was not a good one...
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:15 pm

StillJulie wrote:Thanks for the update! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sounds great. So glad to hear it. I'm relieved. The thought of having to try to piece something together on my own after years and years of dependence on HOD was not a good one...
Thanks - Carrie and I are right there with you! :D :D :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:12 pm

We are using the World History guide this year, and things have been going very well!! Everything comes just when it is supposed to. It is only my daughter and I who get behind. :)
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:55 pm

8arrows wrote:We are using the World History guide this year, and things have been going very well!! Everything comes just when it is supposed to. It is only my daughter and I who get behind. :)
:D :D :D Thanks, 8arrows!!! We have found the same to be true, especially after pheasant and deer hunting season. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:45 pm

StillJulie,

My3son's did a great job of sharing our company's thoughts about heading into the next guide. I appreciate your patience in waiting for the new sneak peeks to come at a later juncture this coming year too. :D

While writing the new World History guide definitely takes precedent right now, I am also researching for the guide to come after this simply because the research process is such a long one. :D I have been able to make tremendous gains in the selecting of resources for the new American History guide and am truly excited about this coming guide too. It is going to be different from anything already available for American History, and I am so thankful to be as far in the selection process as I am!

Our plans for the first American History Guide are to follow a similar pattern to what we have been doing for the World History Guide this school year. This will enable families to use the American History Guide a year earlier than if we waited for the guide's completion prior to making it available.

As far as how the writing of the World History Guide is going this school year, I will share that we have incurred considerably more expense than anticipated in aborbing the cost of professionally printing, collating, 3-hole-punching, and shrink-wrapping each section of the World History Guide, and then shipping the installments to customers for free (and also repeating this process for each of the World History Journals and Art Gallery Notebooks). Since I want our customers to receive a clean, beautiful, fully edited professional copy, I am unwilling to switch our method of printing the intallments of plans. So, we already know that in order to cover at least a portion of this expense in the future, we will not be able to offer families a free Teacher's Guide for the American History Guide, as we did for the World History Guide. However, other than the added expense of writing a guide this way, the guide's plans have been coming together nicely in a timely fashion. :D

It is likely for the future guides that we will offer a promotional similar to that of our previous guides, in offering a free set of notebook pages to those families who pre-order the newest guide. 8)

I must share that I am so thankful to be able to stay ahead of my second oldest son and allow him to use HOD to finish out his high school years! :D To save me the deadlines, and our company the added expense, I had considered only making the American History guide available in rough form for my own son (and for my sisters' kiddos) for the 2015-2016 school year, and not making the guide available to the public until it was complete. However, for now, it seems that families are happy and appreciative to have the opportunity to use the World History Guide as it is being written, so we plan to continue on a similar course for the first American History Guide.

I look forward to sharing the journey with many of you in the years ahead. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

dianeh47

Post by dianeh47 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:02 pm

Carrie,
Thank you for making the American History guides available to us. I am looking forward to Joel completing his high school years with HOD. Thank you for all that you have done. I know that a lot of families appreciate what you do.
Blessings,
Diane

Began HOD in 8/2008
Joel -18 US2 History

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:01 pm

You are most welcome! :D It is a blessing to be able to share this journey with wonderful moms and teachers like you! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:37 am

Carrie, Mike, and Julie,

I can't thank you enough for all the work you all are doing in order to get these weeks of the guide to us every two weeks. They always arrive right on time. I can't imagine all of the effort and time that goes into what you are doing right now.

Carrie,

I know only God can provide you with the strength to keep writing as you are and I thank Him for putting this special calling on your heart and equipping you to do it. Thank you for being willing to continue in this fashion for next year so that your HOD families can continue on with the guides without missing a year. Those of us who have been using HOD for years would be so lost without our HOD guide for high school! :shock: I know it's quite a sacrifice to make the commitment to continue to write and mail out the guide every few weeks next year as well. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, we truly love the new WH guide. It is blessing us so much just like always. :D
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Tiffini,

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement! They are much appreciated! :D I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying the World History Guide this year. We are thankful to have it as well, as we've done one round of high school already without the HOD guides (and I wouldn't want to do it that way again). :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

razorbackmama

Post by razorbackmama » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Is American History still going to be split into 2 years? Working on my plan of attack. :D

alhempel

Post by alhempel » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:09 pm

I am so pleased to see that the American History Guide will be made available. My son has loved the World Geography and World History Guides. We have looked at some other things in case the American History guide wouldn't be available and haven't been able to find anything we liked.
Alison

I-15- completed World History Guide
T-14- completed World Geography Guide
E -8 completed Bigger w/ emerging readers
M-6 In Beyond w/ Emerging Readers
G- 3 years and ready to start some school
C- 4 1/2 months

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:53 pm

Yes, the plan is to split the American History Guide over two years as noted in the Scope and Sequence linked here: :D http://www.heartofdakota.com/scope.php

Blessings,
Carrie