Seeking Answers re: Switching to HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tiffini

Seeking Answers re: Switching to HOD

Post by Tiffini » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:12 pm

I am so delighted to have been reading past posts and seeing the quality of the women here. I am looking forward to the help you can give me!

I am a current user of MFW ECC and have really enjoyed using it. I have also used MFW ADV and 1st Grade. There are a few elements that I have found missing in the programs, but I believe that would be the case whatever I used. I had always thought HOD was for only younger children, but I see now that it is not and that has given me cause to look deeper.

My situation: I have a 10 yo dd (currently doing 4th grade and will be 11 in Oct.) and two 7 yo twins (currently doing 2nd grade.) We have done a year of Am. History using MFW ADV and we have done a year of Geography using MFW ECC.

My first question: Would Preparing be the way to go with my kiddos? I am assuming it would be, but with the extensions added on for my would-be 5th grader? Would this be too easy for her? How easy is it to integrate the extensions into the main program? (Okay, I guess that is more than one question! :) Also, is there any idea when the samples for Preparing will be out?

Next, I have concerns about the history cycle. If I use Preparing with my 5th grader, then she would not complete the history cycle before high school. My two 3rd graders would then have a year to fill in before high school. How does that all work?

How does the LA guide work in Preparing as far as applying it to the 5th grader? Are there recommendations as to what to do with the older ones as well? As far as writing goes - do you rely on R&S for writing instruction or do you use something different for that?

For those who have used MFW as well, do you find that the Bible portion in HOD is more integrated? I appreciate the daily Bible readings in MFW, but would like a little more guidance with discussing the text as well as applying the text. I realize some people do not want this as they want to do it their own way, but I would not mind a little help in this area. Also, are books used to develop worldview and answers to relevant questions to our culture - such as Answers in Genesis type materials or similar? That is an extremely critical component to me as I want my children to be thinkers and able to express themselves and know WHY and WHAT they believe. I want this to be a part of our daily discussions.

Is HOD planning to go through high school or stop at 8th grade?

These may be too many questions to post here. Are these type of questions something that I should call the office about? I hope I'm not bogging you all down, but I have appreciate so much the answers I have read elsewhere on the board.

Sincerely,

HappyatHome
DD-10
DS-7
DD-7

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:41 am

HappyatHome,

I can't answer many of your questions, as I have younger children who are using LHFHG and Bigger (in the fall). I can tell you that some of the ladies here have been using HOD for a long time and will chime in here to give you advice. And I'm sure Carrie (the author) will take the time to answer your questions, too.

I have never used MFW, so I can't compare, but after using the HOD Beyond...guide, I can say that the Bible is incorporated all throughout the lessons. Everything is connected, in order to bring you back to God and His plan for our lives, how He is always working, how we can trust Him, etc. We really enjoyed using the Beyond..guide, and that's why we'll be using HOD products with all three kids next year. Hope that helps some. I know there will be other ladies to answer your questions soon. :)

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:28 am

Can't answer all your questions, but had one idea for ya.....the Am. history covered in Bigger is totally different that what is covered in MFW Adv. You could get that extra year by starting them in Bigger. (Actually the way Carrie uses the books makes even Beyond a different Am. History program than MFW Adv.)

I have 7 yo twins as well....with Dec. birthdays!! We are just finishing up our first grade year with Little Hearts.

Welcome to HOD and we hope you find a good fit for your family here!
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:48 am

Have you looked at the placement chart yet? It is a very good tool to see where your kids fall.

http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Let us know where you think your kids fit after looking at it and I'm sure more ladies will chime in.

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:38 am

I appreciate your replies so far. I am not too excited about doing Am. Hist. again, although it does look interesting coming from a different approach. Does Bigger apply to all of Am. Hist. or just the later part? I was also concerned about putting my 5th grader in that program. It seems a little young for her age and I don't want her to feel like she is going backwards, kwim?

I am looking forward to more replies. Thank you so much for your help!

HappyAtHome
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:49 am

Hmmm....I was thinking of Bigger just for your 7 yo's. I didn't realize you were wanting them all together. Have you considered doing seperate programs??
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:32 am

Just looking at your situation. I am wondering if your kids don't need the American History in Bigger. The American in MFW adventures is similar sort of but not exactly to Beyond. I could see skipping that if they test OK but Bigger has a lot more American. I don't know how much other history your oldest had but that would be my first thought.

OK so after looking at the placement chart I would first see where they fall. Depending on what history your oldest has had I would think it would be Bigger for the twins and either Bigger with the extension or Preparing for the older. And seeing now your question on is Bigger enough for a fifth grader. I really think it is especially with the extension pack. My fifth grader is learning a lot and enjoying it. You will see we are even taking it into sixth. Carrie had a great thread on things to add if your child is very advanced. I will look for it to add in here. viewtopic.php?t=640

Now on the cycles :D This is something near and dear to my heart. I was practically in shrinks chair trying to figure out how to make that history cycle thought work for all my kid due to ages and the fact some were in ps for a while. Here is the place I have come to, while I think it is very wise to have a plan for the future, I personally got to the point where I was willing to compromise the present to make the future look the way other hsing "experts" were telling me it should look. I mean I was obsessed with working out that plan perfect. So what I have felt God say to me recently is what matters is by the end she learns it well and that she knows Him well.I have found that home schoolers focus on the history cycles so much and when you think about what is going to affect college entrance exams and future college for majors that are tougher, science and math are probably more of a factor. However having the well rounded view of history and being able to see God's hand in that really does I think go to making a well rounded person who can see the world intelligently. So all are important. But in the end I honestly feel what she is learning in terms of how to think with HOD and a Biblical world view will take her to whatever God calls her to whether that be a well educated mom or a brain surgeon. I feel she will be ready for College either way. And in the end while it is all very important it seems here on Earth, in Heaven God will ask me to account for how I have taught my children and I am thinking History cycles will not be on the list. Sharing all that with you because it is the thought behind my personal plan for my oldest child and it is kind of the thing that thumped me on the head to be able to even find a solution for us. :D

Ok so having said all that I have a now 5th grader and we are not too far into Bigger. She needed the American history. I am either going to have to force it in quick or take the time to do it thoroughly and admit our path is not going to match what the common "wisdom" is promoting. Originally I was going to try to go fast. But after getting into HOD I really feel God has been speaking to me to enjoy the stroll in this time in life and to study deep rather than fast. So we will go into most of 6th with Bigger as well. Then 7th will be preparing for us. 8th will either be the Reformation or Ancients. I say that because we are doing a very in depth chronological Bible Study and we explore the history that connects directly to The Word as we go lightly. I am considering using HOD in the 9th if possible for The Reformation then having two very in depth years of World and American together and one last year brining the first two cycles together in terms of each other. So it does not look perfect but I do really think it will work. Either way by the end of high school she will have a very deep foundation and a good understanding of how all of history connects and what was God's hand in it.

So after saying all that not saying all of that applies to you or even any of it but just wanted to share I guess from a mom that has been looking down a similar path. 8) I promise you whatever level you decide is best for your children you are going to love it and thinking about the placement will have been so worth it! Welcome and let us know what you think when you look at the chart.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:58 am

I really think it's about where your kiddos place.
My 7 year old would have been over overwhelmed with bigger at 7. We even took it very slowly in the beginning of this year and are going to stretch it into 4th grade. I know Carrie is putting preparing together now. Maybe that would be the best Place for your older child.

Many moms have had no problem running 2 programs at one time. I only have the one (so far..) so I can't give ya a testimony on that.

At our house cause we are so multi cultural :) We study more than American history. I have a great ref "history of the world" DK book. 25 cents library sale!! woot woot! on Day 5 when we do our time line, we look at the ref book time line and see what else has been going on in china or India at the same time. maybe if your combine your kiddos you could do something similar with you older child. Give her more books to read like biographies of people in Europe or China at the same time period?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:05 am

I just wanted to add that I will be using Bigger with an 8 yo and a 10 yo. I have added the extension pack for the 10 yo. We really need to study American History, too, and I didn't want him to miss it. Plus, incorporating a K'er into the mix next year, I needed to keep the older two together. However, I know there are some moms here who are using 3 programs successfully; I just thought I would add the second slowly and separate the next year if I feel I need to and can handle it! I think as long as you have the L.A. and Math at your older child's level, it will be just fine to use Bigger for the History, Art, Science, etc. You could always use the extension pack, which includes a Science and History text for 4th-5th graders who are using Bigger..along with younger children. That's what I'm doing. Good luck with your decision; hope to 'see' you around. :o

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:26 am

Keep it coming, ladies! I appreciate it so much!

I have looked at the placement chart and I think we probably fall best as a group of 3 children in the Bigger category.

Since I would prefer to keep them together, I think Bigger may work better for us than Preparing, but I was just concerned about doing American again. So, since we had done the overview of Am. Hist. with MFW ADV - you still think that Bigger would work for us? That is all my oldest has had and I would love to get more in depth with that. I think the ages of 7-9 on the description is what concerned me as my oldest will be 11 in Oct. Also, can anyone compare how the two programs present Am. History? I don't want a basic redo of what we did before.

So, how many think it is beneficial to do two separate programs based on my kiddos ages? They are 2-1/2 yrs. apart in age - 2 yrs. in school. My 7 yos will be 8 in April. I really had not considered doing two separate programs at all until reading these replies. I have really liked keeping everyone together. I want to do what is best for each one, but also keep my life doable as I know many of you understand. It is always a struggle to figure that out.

Water2Wine, thank you so much for your perspective on the history cycle. It is amazing how much that doggone cycle frustrates my thinking!! You are so right about what is really important. And the thing is that we really don't know what tomorrow holds, let alone 4-5 years down the road. I appreciate you taking the time to type that all out.
Tiffini
HOD Users since 2008

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:39 am

HappyatHome wrote: Since I would prefer to keep them together, I think Bigger may work better for us than Preparing, but I was just concerned about doing American again. So, since we had done the overview of Am. Hist. with MFW ADV - you still think that Bigger would work for us? That is all my oldest has had and I would love to get more in depth with that. I think the ages of 7-9 on the description is what concerned me as my oldest will be 11 in Oct. Also, can anyone compare how the two programs present Am. History? I don't want a basic redo of what we did before.

So, how many think it is beneficial to do two separate programs based on my kiddos ages? They are 2-1/2 yrs. apart in age - 2 yrs. in school. My 7 yos will be 8 in April. I really had not considered doing two separate programs at all until reading these replies.
Bigger covers a broader span of History I would compare it more in terms of MFW to Exp to 1850 but it goes longer than that so it goes into what MFW has as 1850 to present but not quite as long. I find MFW focus is more world history than solely American and HOD is more American focused. But just so you get the idea you are expanding more than you are overlapping.

On the running two programs depending on what you think fits your oldest best...piece of cake! I run two and one of mine has special needs with six kids. The issues are I think what is best for your oldest in terms of what they need. However I do understand the wanting to share for the sake of it is really just fun. Take a good honest look at the chart and the samples of bigger to looking at the table of contents to see if you think it is going to add to your dd's history knowledge and weigh that against wanting one program. But just letting you know doing two is very easy so don't let that get in the way of what you decide. HTH Someone else will give you a better answer I am sure.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:10 am

Water2Wine said it very well. This history in Bigger is different than Adventures. We are currently doing Beyond which is comparable to Adv. in history, then we will move into Bigger. I think your youngers would do well in Bigger and with the extension package, your older might too. If you tried it and didn't work, you could always pick up the preparing book.

Next year I will be doing Little Hearts and Bigger together. Two programs at one time isn't difficult with HOD.

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:24 am

Do you feel like you are missing out on that family learning experience if you do separate programs? It seems hard to me to be doing American history with one and World history with another.

Also, another question - do you feel that HOD develops a heart for the world? One thing about MFW that I really like is the missions focus - learning and praying for other people groups, etc., Is that a part of HOD?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to me. Since HOD is not any conventions near me and I don't know anyone here who is using it to look at the materials, your answers are invaluable!
Tiffini
HOD Users since 2008

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:51 am

Hi! Carrie has made such wonderful manuals, that many moms are using up to three programs without a problem!
Another alternative would be to use:
Bigger Hearts language and math for the youngers (make sure all the kids take the Singapore placement test if you plan to use that math)
Preparing Hearts language and math for the oldest child
Preparing Hearts history and science for all using the read-alouds in the Economy Package and the science readers
Add either the grade 3/4 or 5/6 independent study readers for your oldest child, to add challenge and in-depth study for an avid reder who would need/enjoy doing additional reading on their own
This way you could combine them in the same topics, but the youngers would not be overwhelmed.
Don't miss out on Drawn into the Heart of Reading, for literature study!

As for writing, Carrie is including writing instruction in the Preparing manual, and Rod and Staff is very through with grammar and writing. A fifth grader could begin with level 3 or 4, because Rod and Staff tends to be advanced.

The Bible is totally integrated! This is one of the things I love about HOD-brief discussions are written into the guides along with Bible memory, character lessons are included and everything really ties together. As for a heart for the world-what I can say is, Carrie has put a premium on having a heart that is directed toward God, and it shows through in all she has written. If you have a heart for God, you will have a heart for the world (solely my opinion, so you can take that with a grain of salt!)

HOD plans to go to 8th grade, but you never know...we hope :wink:
Just some ideas for you!
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Candice

Post by Candice » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:16 pm

HappyatHome,

Just pokin' in to say hello and welcome to the board :wink: .

Candice