Week in Review: December 15-January11 (Due to Christmas)

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

lissiejo

Week in Review: December 15-January11 (Due to Christmas)

Post by lissiejo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:06 pm

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

lissiejo

Re: Week in Review: December 15-January11 (Due to Christmas)

Post by lissiejo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:09 pm

I thought it would be okay to post the dates this way :) Our lives were turned upside down this Christmas due to my having very unexpected major surgery 4 days before Christmas. We're still trying to get back to normal, but here are my posts!

January 2nd-4th - http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspo ... y-2-4.html

January 7th-11th - http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspo ... -7-11.html

I hope the start of your new year has been smooth!
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Missions to Modern Marvels
"Write with the Best" had Wyatt writing a how to essay this week. He chose to write how to make homemade ice cream. He is really getting creative with his writing this year and letting more personality come through. Here is his recipe...

So many things in HOD interconnect - we love that! Wyatt used his homemade ice cream recipe for his history project ice cream social. The whole family enjoyed the ice cream at his ice cream social and decided that tradition should be brought back! :D

Fortune cookies filled with Proverbs was a great baking project that had him using his Bible too. This kind of multi-skill interdisciplinary approach in HOD is so neat! The whole family loved this project and enjoyed opening their fortune cookies, reading their Proverbs, and of course, eating them! :D
Image Image Image Image

Author Ellen McHenry sure knows how to put fun into science! Wyatt is really enjoying this. That is one full science program with lots of ways of learning tied into it that make science memorable and fun!
Image Image Image

This is Wyatt's last year with DITHOR. He is pretty sad about it, though we have done DITHOR for the past 6 years. He has worked through all the levels, read all the HOD book packs (some just for fun), and done so many kickoffs and projects. He told me he will really miss it next year. I know HOD will choose something equally neat for high school lit, but I'll be sad for Wyatt to be done with DITHOR too. Wyatt totally planned this past kickoff himself. This is the Battle of Gettysburg, which this mama had a blast watching...
Image Image Image

We discovered the HIG guides for SIngapore include step-by-step fully worked solutions for the reviews and practices. We have been using the HIG for this purpose at the end of 6B. I have not found any need to use the HIG guides until this point, but I am sure thankful for them now! We will be starting Discovering Mathematics next.

Amidst colds and sinus infections, we have been so blessed by the ease of use of HOD. We are focused on the blessings God gives us this 2013, and HOD is certainly one of them. Hope you had a good week!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Creation to Christ
A big hit with everyone was the Philistine helmet Riley made for his history project this week. In fact, everyone had try it on for size! :D
Image Image Image

Riley also finished out another history project by re-enacting the crossing of the Red Sea, with the art project he made to go along with it...

It has been neat ot see Riley's watercolor painting skills improve through CTC's excellent guidance. Here he is with his Robert Frost rendition of a fall scene...

Interconnectedness is just a natural part of HOD, it seems! I really like this, as so much more is retained, and learning is just more natural. Here is Riley's description of a place (done for Write with the Best 1) of a fall scene we visited - Wisconsin Dells. I think he used vivid description and a lot of personality in his writing of this...
Image Image

Geography of the Holy Lands has been giving us a neat 'tour' of the Holy Lands! It really makes the ancients time period come to life, and helps Riley to see the connectedness of these ancient places to today's world! Here is one of his travel logs he enjoyed doing...

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Little Hearts for His Glory
Emmett is cruising along in LHFHG and learning so much! One of the biggest things he has had to learn is simple to pay better attention and listen well. He is so full of life and joy, but this little guy is easily distracted! :D He is also always moving. I am so thankful LHFHG keeps lessons short and moving along, as well as glad it has ample movement in the plans that is purposeful. He needs it! :D

The FIngerplays have been wonderful, as he gets up and gets moving, while learning important skills at the same time! He just learned about the trinity, a tough concept for little ones. I was amazed when he recited the fingerplay about the trinity as an answer to a question in his "Devotions for the Children's Hour" - he was right! His fingerplay was a great answer! :D

Science is another get moving kind of subject in LHFHG. This week he learned about his sense of taste and the 5 different tastes on his tongue. The brothers had fun joining in on this tricky taste test. Sugar or salt? They look the same but taste totally different - sweet and salty. Lemon juice or apple juice? Cocoa powder or hot chocolate mix? Everyone had fun using their taste buds to solve the mystery of what they were tasting...
Image Image

This history activity had Emmett following commands to complete tasks to be a good worker. Here he is pretending to make a bed (and being a sweet little brother to big brother Riley by covering him up with a blanket).

Here he is pretending to wash dishes. Of course, Emmett wanted to literally do this, and helped big brother Wyatt clean up the dishes from his history project, which was making fortune cookies. :D

Emmett loves to sing to his music! It acts a great memory aid for him to learn his Bible verse. When our chruch said the Lord's Prayer, Emmett surprised us by reciting it all from memory! He had learned it for LHFHG a few months ago, and he remembered it all. :D What a happy moment that was for us!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

rogmisbailey

Post by rogmisbailey » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Misty
Mom to DD7, DD5, and DS1
Completed LHTH, LHFHG and working on Beyond

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Love reading about the other HOD families! Julie...you make me want to jump right into MTMM with my son. But, guess we will finish what we have first!

Our week in review:
http://bloomingoodlife.blogspot.com/201 ... earts.html

http://bloomingoodlife.blogspot.com/201 ... o-rev.html

Hope I did that correctly!
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:18 am

4Hispraise wrote:... Julie...you make me want to jump right into MTMM with my son. But, guess we will finish what we have first!...!
Thank you, 4Hispraise! :D All credit goes to MTMM - it is just a terrific guide all around! Our ds loves it. :D You'll be there before you know it, and when you get there, MTMM will be waiting happily. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie