If you were struggling with deciding which program to use...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).

If you were struggling with deciding which program to use...

Postby we6rblessed » Thu May 22, 2008 5:43 am

Which would you choose?

I have a bright 7yo dd, independent reader. Have not done cursive
10 yo ds, struggling reader, but indedpendent. Have not done cusive
15yo dd, with processing issues, reads comfy on 6th grade level.
We do "other" math and I am not sure if I will do other LA, I need to see the teaching manual before I make that decision.

I desire to place us all in either "Bigger" or "Preparing." I will do extensions and addtions as per Carrie's suggestions.
I have no problem starting with Bigger, as this literature base is new to us, but at the same time wonder if I shoud begin with Preparing?
Being that some of you have used Bigger, why or why not start with one over the other?

Thank you so much for your advice!
~Linda
we6rblessed

Postby netpea » Thu May 22, 2008 6:13 am

You might consider Beyond for the 7yo and Preparing for the older two? Have you checked the placement chart for each child?

http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php
netpea

Postby granolamom6 » Thu May 22, 2008 6:49 am

I am currently using Bigger with my 7 yo dd, 10 yo dd and 12 yo ds. (I am also using Little Hands with my 4 yo dd.) I had been trying to do Beyond with my 7 yo and then Bigger with the olders, but trying to do three programs was just too much. :D

We have been doing Bigger all together for a couple of weeks now and it is really going well. It is so much easier on me and I really enjoy having the kids learning together.

We will move on to Preparing when we are finished with Bigger (we stared all this in March, so we have a ways to go yet in Bigger...).

HOD is very flexible and the women here on this board are very helpful. I am certain you will find the help you need. :D
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/
granolamom6

Re: If you were struggling with deciding which program to us

Postby my3sons » Thu May 22, 2008 3:20 pm

Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, DITHOR, WG, WH, USI, USII
Currently using USI, RevtoRev (oldest son Liberty University Business Finance)
Wife to Rich for 24 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 19, 16, and 12
Sister to Carrie
my3sons

Postby we6rblessed » Fri May 23, 2008 7:14 am

we6rblessed

Postby my3sons » Fri May 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, DITHOR, WG, WH, USI, USII
Currently using USI, RevtoRev (oldest son Liberty University Business Finance)
Wife to Rich for 24 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 19, 16, and 12
Sister to Carrie
my3sons

Return to Main Board