Weekly Review: Nov. 19-30 (due to Thanksgiving)

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Weekly Review: Nov. 19-30 (due to Thanksgiving)

Post by my3sons » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:53 am

Ok Girls,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Weekly Review: Nov. 19-30 (due to Thanksgiving)

Post by my3sons » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:18 am

Missions to Modern Marvels:
Move over Julia Child, here comes Missions to Modern Marvels! :lol: This week's history projects were a blast! They had Wyatt baking up a storm, and they didn't do one thing to help with my pre-Christmas diet - they were g-o-o-d. :D The plans made it clear Wyatt could just choose one recipe to make, but of course, they all looked good, so he made them all. I really have HOD to thank for Wyatt being so good in the kitchen. Ladies, I am telling you, this guy is going to be a catch someday. :wink:

Sopapillas was our first treat. Mmmmm, if you have ever had these at a Mexican restaurant, you know how good they are. The boys snatched them up, and loved trying honey and chocolate drizzled over them.
Image Image

Iced Coffee... well, I haven't met a 'coffee' I didn't love yet, and this one was no exception. Mmmmm, too sweet for my own good, but y-u-m-m-y! :D

Cornbread... this may be the best cornbread recipe we have ever used. I actually am thinking about throwing out my old tried and true cornbread recipe and replacing it with this one. It was simply the best, and very easy to make too. Wyatt made a copy of it for his own recipe collection, which he started a few years' back. Many of HOD's recipes are in his collection. They taste great, but are easy to make. :D

We had a great discussion this week for Worthy Words. It was about immigration, which is currently a hot topic for our country too. I am really enjoying our Socratic discussions. It is neat to see how the insight the history books offer help Wyatt understand more deeply the speeches. Diaz' from Mexico was another great discussion we had - how his speech painted one picture of him, and the history book another. It is really a high level skill to mesh different viewpoints together and try to determine what that has to do with what really happened. The way HOD has Wyatt prepare a short index cards of notes to use as we discuss the questions really helps him come prepared. I am enjoying reading the speeches myself. There are some phenomenal speakers! Sometimes they are sadly mislead though. This year is all about discernment for Wyatt, the search for truth. In memorabilia (i.e. actual newspaper articles, photographs with captions, posters from history), in his Biblical worldview study (i.e. stories of dc and how their families practice their beliefs around the world), in his Worthy Words (i.e. by comparing people's speeches to others' viewpoints and what occurred in history), and in Snapshot in Time (which compares/contrasts 2 people, events, etc.). Talk about some awesome high level thinking! And I mean 'high' level, as in keeping the Lord above all! :D

Wyatt is loving the science too. He just began his Ellen McHenry study of the Elements, and he is always coming to tell me this or that that he is excited to learn. I am surprised at how independent he is able to be with his science! These are difficult concepts, yet all of the previous years of HOD's training in science have helped him be very successful with this. :D

Another highlight for me this week was Wyatt's oral narration. Using the Ipod for him to record it, so I could more easily type it to put in his MTMM Student Book was genius (thanks for that great idea, Carrie!). His personality is completely shining through, and yet he is doing a super job of keeping his facts straight. I find he is so more apt to go into greater detail this way. Before, he had to go so slowly because I could not keep up typing (and I'm a pretty fair typist). This was so much better for the times we are typing the narration in the plans. :D
Image Image

Hope you had a super week too!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:11 pm

Creation to Christ:
Riley had a ton of fun doing his predator and prey activity for science "Land Animals..." this week! :D (You can see his shirt was appropriate for this activity, BTW! :lol: ) It was a great lesson to show how the population of cougars (the predator) and the population of deer (the prey) effect one another. In a sectioned off area, there were 3 deer. To begin with, Riley got to 'hunt' with 1 cougar by throwing the cougar in the square. If it landed on 3 deer (which was what it needed to produce offspring), Riley got to hunt with 2 cougars the next time. If his cougar landed on 3 or less deer, no offspring, and the next generation had just 1 cougar to hunt. The number of deer left after each hunt doubled, to show the deer's offspring. At the best point (according to Riley), he had all 6 cougars to hunt with... of course this wiped out the deer population and could not be sustained for longer than a generation. Riley hunted for 19 generations before the deer population was wiped out. He loved this activity so much, he chose to keep it and play it again with his older brother.
Image Image Image Image Image

Another fun predator and prey activity for science was this one, where it showed how difficult it is for a predator to find the prey sometimes, as well as how difficult it is for prey to see its predator at times...
Image Image

For Riley's description of an object for WWTB, he chose our Christmas tree. He really did a super job of prewriting with me, coming up with a bunch of creative descriptors, nouns, adverbs, vivid verbs. Here was our inspiration, and here is our prewriting...
Image Image

I challenged Riley to color his best for his Geography of the Holy Land's travel log because he enjoys it and is good at it. He seemed to use some of his watercolor painting techniques he is using for his CTC Poetry. I think it turned out lovely...

Here is Riley's history project where he made his shepherd's headdress - isn't he a cutie pie? :D

A great week - hope you had one too!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:35 pm

Little Hearts for His Glory:
Emmett loves his Papa so very much, and one way he has been showing he is thinking of him during his chemo treatments is to trace, decorate, and send a Bible verse to him. My Dad has loved it so much, that he calls him on the phone personally every time he gets it in the mail to thank him. It's become a pretty special tradition these days...

One of my favorite things about LHFHG is that my oldest 13 yo ds can jump in sometimes and help out if he has a free moment. I love this, he loves it, and Emmett loves it - a win/win situation for all. As Wyatt is quite active, he loves the Fingerplay best. They usually do it together several times, which in turn Emmett loves...
Image Image

It is exciting to see Emmett's cutting and gluing skills improving. These days, I get to just point to what needs to be cut out, explain the activity, and leave to let him do it. This is sooooo different from how he started out in LHTH a few years' back, when I had to help hold the paper for him and guide his every cut...

In math, Emmett is using his cut down to 10 compartment egg carton to count by 10's, and to represent tens and ones. He can now count by 10's and understands what place value means better and better...

We had a good week in LHFHG together, and I feel so blessed just to have him be healthy again. For those of you that prayed for him as he was in the hospital, thank you so very much. As always, God is faithful, and He helped us through that difficult time with His unwavering love and support. Have a good weekend! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Julie your weekly updates are so encouraging. Thank you for taking the time to share. I know posting photos and such takes time.

Here is a look into our Friday http://training6hearts4him.blogspot.com ... 22013.html

It sound horrible but I have a hard time writing a week in review with 6 kids and 4 guides, plus a 4yr. old nephew that I'm trying to fit in (using something else). I'd have used HOD but I couldn't afford another guide (shhh, I don't get paid). I am having fun with a Pre-K student again. He will go to public K next year so I want to get him going with knowing his letters, numbers, and don't throw any tomatoes, some sight words.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:16 pm

FINALLY got to our week in review last night :)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspo ... 26-30.html
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

rogmisbailey

Post by rogmisbailey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:20 pm

This is actually for a few weeks. Hope you all enjoy!

http://mimishouse2005.blogspot.com/2012 ... pdate.html
Misty
Mom to DD7, DD5, and DS1
Completed LHTH, LHFHG and working on Beyond