Another sneak peek into Rev. to Rev.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

Another sneak peek into Rev. to Rev.

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:10 pm

Ladies,

I thought you might enjoy another sneak peek into Revival to Revolution. So, here goes! :D Our guide will be scheduling Map Trek maps to coordinate with the history study in Revival to Revolution. We are blessed that the Johnson's are producing a special printable CD for Heart of Dakota of just the needed maps for Revival to Revolution from the Map Trek series. :D

Another sneak peek is that we will be including a weekly "Worthy Words" entry in the Student Notebook based on primary source documents. These "Worthy Words" will be excerpts from speeches and letters that give insight into what the students are reading within their history on that particular day. I have just finished finding, reading, sorting, and gathering the selections and am very excited about them. Of course, at this level, the students will mainly be reading and pondering the meaning of these not-so-easy excerpts, but it is a great introduction into primary source documents that provides a wonderful glimpse into the time period. :D

A third terrific part of the Revival to Revolution guide will be having classic poetry about historic events and people matched to the readings once weekly as well. After reading the whole poem and thinking about its meaning and the connections to the history reading for that day, the students will be copying a portion of each classic poem into their Student Notebook. The poems are by wonderfully famous authors and include poets like Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, Phillis Wheatley, Lord Byron, John Greenleaf Whittier, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Carl Sandburg, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Lord AlfredTennyson, and others! :D They are not easy, but they are inspiring, and they will make the kiddos think! :D

One last item that I'll share is that the Student Notebook will also have a small full-color picture of a famous painting each week which shows an event or person that the students have read about that week in history. The paintings are beautiful and really do bring history off the pages and hopefully into students' hearts! :wink:

And in case you weren't remembering, there will be a section at the beginning of the notebook for research entries on the lives of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. There will be an entry box for each of the signers, with each man's picture, so students will have one place to record their findings about the the men who were willing to sign away their very lives so that America could be free! We will be including a book option to use for the research on the signers within our packages. If you desire to use your own source instead that may add time to the day but will work as well. Research will be done once weekly in Revival to Revolution. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mskogen

Re: Another sneak peek into Rev. to Rev.

Post by mskogen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:46 pm

OH, I wish we got to do Rev to Rev next year! We will get to do CTC, which I am excited about as well. Thank you Carrie for your committment in honoring God. I know my children are recieving a tremondous education thorugh HOD!

Blessings to you and your family!
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Oh Carrie that sounds fabulous!! We have so much to look forward to in the future.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

JoyinIndo

Post by JoyinIndo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:50 pm

Oh my goodness, it looks amazing! It is going to be hard to wait until we get to it!!

Thank you, Carrie, for all of your hard work, prayer, and time you've put into this!!

Blessings,
Joy

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:14 am

WOW! Decisions, decisions...I can't wait to see more, so I can see which HOD guide will be the best fit for my 8th grader next fall :) Rev to Rev sounds great!
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:30 am

Wow! It sounds incredibly interesting. It just keeps getting better all the time.

Thank you so much for all the hard work you put into your manuels.

And to think, we just started Bigger...

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:15 am

So excited for this program. I absolutely love how HOD is progressing with each guide. It just keeps getting better and better and yet I still love doing the older guides again with my youngest set too. I can't wait to be able to get my hands on this one! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:07 am

WOW, wow, wow!!!! Sounds awesome, Carrie!!

We're in CTC now, and planning RTR for the upcoming school year, but I'm super excited for Rev. to Rev., too! :mrgreen:
As water2wine said, I love how the guides keep building on each other! How perfect for all HOD users, but especially rich for those of us using HOD for high school. This is a better education than I ever got in public school! :wink:
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:12 am

Carrie, God is truly smiling upon you - giving you so much insight and wisdom to plan each level. Thank you. You continue to be in my prayers AND on my thanksgiving list!
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Ladies,

Bless you! :D Where else could I go to have my cup filled and have people who are near and dear to me, often whom I have never met in person, share in my excitement!?! :D

You are gifts from God above as I write! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

kvmck

Post by kvmck » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:04 am

Wow! I feel so fortunate to have found HOD for our family. Carrie, please know that even though we have never met you, that you are such a blessing to us. I don't even want to think about what I'd be doing without HOD! It is so exciting to hear about all the wonderful guides we have ahead of us... I can hardly wait.
Kristen

ds '00 PHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '02 BHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '07 LHTH

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:22 am

Hello Carrie,
What a wonderful blessing you are to our family! I cannot express how thankful I am for you and HOD! Year's ago, I knew the Lord was leading our family in a "new" direction for our homeschooling, and as much reading, researching and trying to put together a "Christ centered" CM style plan on my own, I just could NOT do it! Then when my health issues began, I really needed some help. God answered my prayers by leading me to HOD! I love how you have included everything that I wanted to teach my children and so much more! As my children grow and use HOD each year (this is our 4th year with HOD), I can see that they are getting such a wonderful education with their relationship with God a priority, as it should be. I humbly thank you for all your hard work and research in writing these guides each and every year to fill a much needed gap in the homeschooling community and especially for our family. I'm thankful that I do not even need to think about "what am I going to do for next year" for my 7th grade dd especially as she gets closer and closer to those high school years. I know God has directed us to HOD and will provide for all of our needs. DD is enjoying RTR and she loves her notebook and takes great care in adding her entries each day. The next guide sounds so amazing! I sure wish I had time do the study myself, LOL! I LOVE history and the next guide sounds so exciting! Again, thank you.
:)
Charlene

Rev2Rev (8th gr. ds)
World History (11th gr. dd)
HOD Users since 2007

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Kristin and Charlene,

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement! They blessed me beyond measure today as I'm busily writing. :D We pray so often that the Lord will bring those to HOD who will be blessed by what we have to offer, and He answers with wonderful ladies such as yourselves! What an answer to prayer you are to me! :D

Blessings,
Carrie