Help me schedule for Bigger

This folder contains helpful past threads about Bigger Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
lil' ladies

Help me schedule for Bigger

Post by lil' ladies » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:07 am

I'm trying to work out my daily schedule for when we start 'Bigger' after Easter.

How long on average do you take on Learn the Basics and Learn through History?

I'm planning on doing one group in the morning and one in the afternoon, along with a few extra's (Saxon Math, French and Phonics) and need to know how long I should plan for each group.

If I allow 2 hours for Learn the Basics and 1.5 hours for Learn through History will that be enough? (I know it may seem a little silly, but I need to plan my days otherwise I won't stay on track.)

Thanks,

Annie :D
Annie, mom to two lil' ladies 9 and 7, working our way through 'Bigger'.

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:00 am

Sorry, no advice. I'm interested in this too, as I'll be using Bigger next year, along with Little Hearts..I'm a planner, and don't stay on task either if it's not written out for me. Any advice on how to get housework done amidst the homeschooling havoc? The kids do have their own chores, it's just getting them to stick to it and getting mine done as well. I'll be watching to see what everyone has to say for the scheduling...

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:38 am

I know you are going to get batter replies than mine on this. :lol: But what you are suggesting sounds very good and doable to me. I have extra variables in my day so my plan is not a good example. But to me what you are saying for you sounds great. 8)
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:19 pm

Annie,

Once we hit our stride this year with "Bigger..." the plans have been pretty much broken down into the following time increments at our house: 8)

Cursive = 5-7 minutes

Drawn into the Heart of Reading 20-30 min. total (including reading time - we only read one chapter a session)

Math = 20 minutes

Reading About History Box (8-10 min.), Bible Study Box (5- 10 min.), and Bottom left corner box of "Learning Through History" (15 min.) done in one sitting totaling 35 min. (Note: Art days take a little longer.)

Dictation (5 min.), Poetry (5-10 min.), Rod and Staff English (10-15 min.), and Storytime (15 min.- We read aloud only one chapter a day. Some moms do more!) done in one sitting totaling 35 min.

Hymns at lunch (5-10 min.)

Science (after lunch - 15-35 min.- depending on whether there's an experiment or a notebooking entry or just oral narration)

I need to be up front in saying that I am a no-nonsense, check-it-off type teacher and don't stray far from the planned lessons, so these times can vary widely depending on whether or not you enjoy going off on bunny trails with your lessons. :)

The wonderful thing about our guides is that no matter what teaching style you are, you can tweak the program to work for your family. Being the no-nonsense type teacher, I need the "fun, hands-on activities" all planned out for me or they don't get done. :D

Hope that helps! Maybe some other moms can chime in with their general times for the subjects. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:17 pm

I would ditto the times Carrie has mentioned. Once we hit our stride with Bigger..., those time increments mentioned are the same for us. You're going to love Bigger... - it is very easy and enjoyable to teach (and for your dc to do too)!
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie