Is it okay to read with them?

This folder contains helpful past threads about Bigger Hearts for His Glory. They are placed here by the adminstrator for you to view.
AmyB

Is it okay to read with them?

Post by AmyB » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:37 am

I know they are supposed to do a lot of the reading on their own in Bigger, but is it okay to do the Hist and science reading with them? Also, we do the extension package, and I do some of the reading with her. To me it's not worth a fight or a sad face or feeling discouraged for her. Besides, I like reading with her. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
May God Bless You Richly,
Amy

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:22 am

I think it's okay to do that if it doesn't bother you. Obviously, there would be more mom-time involved that way. It will also depend on how many dc you are teaching, with how many programs. Do you have time to do that?

One of the great things about HOD is its flexibility! There are people who read all of the extension pack books aloud so they can extend their studies to their younger children...so many ways you can do it. I think the next manual, Preparing..., is set up for your dc to begin doing more 'independent' work; you should be just fine! :P

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:45 am

In Bigger, I do ALOT of the reading out loud to them.

I read the history out loud- way over his level! I also read the storytime, but there are activities for the kids to narrate back information to me (comprehension). If I need to read a bible verse, I always read that out loud... the words are so tiny in our Bibles, it frustrates him when he loses his place alot.

I usually read the science (one small square) and have the kids do the activities associated with it.

He does read the poetry, reading choices (scheduled or DITHR) and grammar, etc...

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:53 am

I'm sorry! :oops: :roll: I think I misunderstood! If I'm not mistaken, you're supposed to do the History and Science readings with your children, as well as storytime, Bible, etc. It's the Emergent Reader Schedule or DITHOR (depending on what your child is using) that the child reads aloud to you. This is the way I used Beyond..and it went well. The readings are a bit above their reading level, so it makes sense for the parent to read it aloud. I believe that's why Carrie has it written the way she does.

As for the extension pack, it is scheduled for the child to read it on his/her own, but you can read it aloud to them if you like. There are those who do it both ways, so it's really just preference. HTH :o

I apologize for the confusion my previous post must have caused! :(

AmyB

Post by AmyB » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:31 am

As a parent you struggle with not wanting them to be frustrated, but also, not helping them too much. Thanks for the advice! I think I'll keep helping her with some of the reading, and make sure they do the DITHOR and Emgering reader schedule on their own, or reading it to me.
Thanks again!
May God Bless You Richly,
Amy

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:29 pm

JoyfulHeart wrote >>>If I need to read a bible verse, I always read that out loud... the words are so tiny in our Bibles, it frustrates him when he loses his place alot. >>

I just thought I'd make a quick comment on this. I got the idea (from Cindy Rushton ??) to buy my 1st graders a GIANT print Bible for them to read from. My dd loved to read her very own REAL Bible at that age and this worked prefectly. This past year, we bought one for my son and he really enjoys being able to read along or occassionally to us from his own Bible.
Just some thoughts to share ...
Charlene

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:02 pm

Amy,

The ladies are doing a great job of helping you! I did want to pop-in and mention that the readings in "Bigger..." are actually intended for you to read aloud to your kiddos. The only readings your little ones are to be responsible for reading to you are the Emerging Readers or the DITHR books. The rest is planned for you to read to them. :wink:

Now, I did have my second son move into doing many of the readings on his own by the end of his year in Bigger, but he was on the older end of the age range for that program, so he was ready to do more reading on his own. This was an exception to how the program is written though. :D

Blessings,
Carrie