Question about Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
evie.o

Question about Bigger

Post by evie.o » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:21 am

Hi, this is my first year using HOD. My boys are in 3rd and 4th grade. We are on unit 13 of Preparing. And it is an excellent fit for our family. Looking ahead, I’m not sure we will be ready for CTC. AND I have never done American History with the boys and I really want to do that next year. My gut is telling me to just go backward and do Bigger next year. And not worry about the grade levels. Do you all think this is ok? Or am I missing something?

StephanieU

Re: Question about Bigger

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:01 pm

Are you doing Preparing as written? If not, what areas/boxes are you modifying?
What are you concerned about with CtC?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:40 pm

One thing to consider is the fact that the guides are made to increase and build on skills each year. So going backwards will not only set your boys back in terms of skill development, but it will make a huge jump from your Bigger year to your CTC year. I would suggest you do CTC and begin at 1/2 speed if you don't think they are quite ready. Also keep in mind that It is not expected that the child will have the skills mastered and polished at the beginning of the guide. As for the American history, it will be covered again in future guides, so you boys will not miss out. If you are progressing and doing well in Preparing I would not hesitate to move forward next year.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:26 pm

Often times it is the last portion of a guide where I begin to see my children will actually be quite prepared for the next guide! So, take heart, if your kiddos are doing all that is asked of them in PHFHG, they will more than likely be ready for CTC. If they are not, it would be better to begin CTC half-speed and ease into it than to drop back to Bigger Hearts. Rather than choosing the guide with the history focus in mind, it is best to choose the guide with the first page of the placement chart in mind. You can read Carrie's thoughts on this here...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9340

You may enjoy reading the rest of Carrie's thoughts on placement here as well, as they are so helpful!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9344

If you are feeling like combining is not a good option due to the younger of the pair not being ready for CTC in most areas, than you could consider separating the two. But, more than likely, just going half-speed with CTC should alleviate any pacing concerns. One thing to remember about the history - it comes around again and again. So, your children will get a healthy dose of American history in Revival to Revolution (which covers US History I within the context of world history), in Missions to Modern Marvels (which covers US History II within the context of world history), in USI High School, and in USII High School. If you are wishing your kiddos had more of an exposure to American history earlier, you might enjoy reading Bigger Heart's Eggleston books over the summer together. They are short, inspirational stories that can be enjoyed as a read aloud before bed too! Hope this helps!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie