RTR and extensions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jer2911mom

RTR and extensions

Post by jer2911mom » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:00 pm

For an 8th grader in RTR, is it better to do the extensions instead of the storytime if time is too tight to do both? Do you do the extension activities and skip the storytime activities? And they read the extensions themselves, correct?

Thanks,
Kathy

StephanieU

Re: RTR and extensions

Post by StephanieU » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:28 pm

Why is this child in RtR? Is it because that is where they place best? Is it because they are combined with a sibling? Is it because you got behind in the past (and hence this is the next guide)? That might affect the recommendation on what to do.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

jer2911mom

Re: RTR and extensions

Post by jer2911mom » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:44 pm

We are returning to HOD, and my dd has covered U.S. History the past three years and really wanted to go back to Medieval. I also want to make sure she is getting the narration instruction she needs. I also suspect she has mild dyslexia, so I'm trying to not overburden her with too much reading. We tend to have long days. She is a strong writer, however, and has excellent reading comprehension, so I'd like to keep this at her level as much as possible.

Thanks,
Kathy