Cost

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HSMom03

Cost

Post by HSMom03 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:36 pm

I just added up what it would cost to get Bigger w/extensions for my 8 and 10 yo (I will be combining grades 3 and 5). I added the appropriate Math and English. It came to $765! Now I am fine with this but my husband is not. I wish he would see that it is worth it for the kids education, plus that is the cost for 2 kids. I also have more to buy for composer study and picture study, I was hoping to get Little Hands for my 3yo. Is $765 reasonable or should I keep searching for something cheaper. This is what I normally spend (we've been homeschooling 7 years?), suddenly its a problem with DH.

manyblessings

Re: Cost

Post by manyblessings » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Have you asked DH why the cost seems excessive to him now as opposed to before? It might help you to know what is going on in his mind as you consider options together. I've been homeschooling for the better part of 25 years, and $765 for two children is really a great value! I've spent more than that on one child, and with a lesser quality of education than you get with Heart of Dakota. Have you prayed with him about it? Invited him to be more involved? Had him teach the Bible lesson or another subject he excels in? Had the children share what they are learning? Perhaps you have done all these things, but I think there has to be some more communication before decisions are made. Praying for you.
Lourdes
Happily married since 2009
Mom of 4 adults and 1 homeschooler
Used Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RevtoRev

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:05 pm

First off, definitely ask him what he things is reasonable.

Second, if he things $500-600 is reasonable, there are a few ways to cut down on the cost a little.

1. Instead of buying a storytime package (deluxe package), you can use library books or books you already own.
2. You can do similar things for DITHOR and the Emerging Readers. Most libraries have many of the books, so you can cut down on cost by only purchasing the books you can't get at the library.
3. You can skip the DITHOR workbook and teacher's book with your 10yo if you plan on doing the extensions and the storytime in Bigger. Instead of doing the DITHOR manuals, you can use the storytime activities with the DITHOR books.

Third, I think HOD is a very good value. The books can be reused for your youngest with the exception of the math and cursive workbooks. So really it is even less per child.It might be helpful for him to realize how much a private school would cost. The cheapest ones here (that use ACE curriculum) are between $2000 and $3000 per child per year. Most are MUCH more expensive. Even in the public schools, you have lots of extra costs - fundraisers, extra cost of meals, uniforms or "special" clothes, etc.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

annaz

Post by annaz » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:59 am

Tell him depending on where you live (here in AZ), the ps system spends $8,000 per child an it's not enough! :D
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:56 am

I find homeschooling costs more the older they become. And, the more children being homeschooled also increases the cost.

For four children, I spend approximately $2,000 a year. When they were all younger it was closer to $1,00 when some hadn’t started school yet. I find Highschool costs more. I’ve hovered around $2,000 for awhile now, and that price includes everything. It isn’t easy to afford, but it’s much less than private school.

I wanted most to say though listen to your husband. So often the LORD speaks to us through our husbands. They can have insights at time that prove invaluable. The LORD may be leading him to hesitate regarding your plan. I would encourage you to listen.

I personally wouldn’t put a 5th grader in Bigger. Two guides are doable, but it will cost more. Is that what looks best for him? If he places higher I would give it more thought.

God Bless,

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi there! That total sounds about right to me - I'm thinking you're order could look something like this...

Economy: $125
Extra Notebook: $22
Science: $57
DITHOR 2/3 Package: $84
4/5 DITHOR Student Book: $32
Cursive Italic D: $22 (this is the less expensive cursive and works just fine)
3A/3B Basic Package: $95
4A/4B OR 5A/5B Textbooks and Workbooks: $60
1A/3B Math Answer Key and 4A-6B Math Answer Key: $18
Higher Level Grammar 4 or 5 Teacher's Guide and Pupil Text: $45
Extensions: $120
Deluxe Classic/Boy/Girl Set: Use your library once a month, many books will work
DITHOR Books: Use your library once a month, many books will work
Hold off in buying the picture study, you're doing an in-depth picture study Charlotte Mason style in RTR.
Hold off in buying the composer study, you're doing an in-depth composer study Charlotte Mason style in RevtoRev.

This totals about $680, which is about $340 for each child for every subject area. The shipping is free. You would qualify for a payment plan at no interest and could spread the payments out over 2 or 3 months. Just call HOD for help in setting this up.

My husband appreciated knowing our purchase of DITHOR would last until 8th grade other than the purchase of DITHOR Student Books every other year after that. Also, math textbooks, answer keys, R & S English grammar texts and teacher's guides, and all books and non-consumable resources can be reused as your younger children move up levels. There are very few consumable resources in HOD.

Another thing my husband appreciated was knowing the cost a year or so ahead. Setting aside $100 each month to begin with, and then $200 as kids get older works well. When the kids were younger, I had a rummage sale, bought used clothes, and cooked inexpensive meals. I also tutored other children a few times a week to help with the cost. I bet if you got creative, you could show your husband a plan that he could get excited about! I think sometimes they feel in it all alone - like we just hand them the bill and they can see it rising. If you show him the cost-effectiveness of HOD being a literature program that can be reused for the most part from year to year, and if you join him in new ways in either cutting costs or earning a small side income, I bet he'd be on board in no time! Hope this helps get some ideas flowing, but math programs alone can cost $300 a year for one student. Having every subject covered well for $340 a student is amazing! Hope something here helps, and I will pray for your talk with your husband to go well!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jellybeanmum

Post by jellybeanmum » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:55 pm

Oh, I can't help but chuckle.. You might want to show him other curriculum companies & how it's a very comparable price, even cheaper than other companies. You might also want to start prepping him for the higher grades ahead where the cost will be greater.