Week in Review: September 4-September 8

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

FallsHarvestof5

Week in Review: September 4-September 8

Post by FallsHarvestof5 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Ok Ladies,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Falls Harvest of 5 includes:

The World's Greatest Husband
DD -Little L (3rd grade)
DD- Little A (2nd Grade)
DD-Little M (PreK-4)

Currently working on Little Hands to Heaven and Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory (2017)

FallsHarvestof5

Re: Week in Review: September 4-September 8

Post by FallsHarvestof5 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Hello everyone,

We have finished up another week and we also have reached our first term break. I didn't even realize that we were breaking this week until the end of the week. My kids were pretty sad that we were on break and complained about having to stop. But this break will be good for them and me, we can get some things done that need to be done as well as get some rest. Here is the link to my blog and I hope everyone has a blessed week.

See you guys next week!

https://adayinthelifeofanapostolicmama. ... en-unit-5/
Falls Harvest of 5 includes:

The World's Greatest Husband
DD -Little L (3rd grade)
DD- Little A (2nd Grade)
DD-Little M (PreK-4)

Currently working on Little Hands to Heaven and Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory (2017)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:50 pm

I loved reading about your week with Little Hands to Heaven and Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, FallHarvestof5! What an exciting week having your daughter baptized as well - thanks so much for sharing here!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Creation to Christ:
I am not sure how we have our youngest son, Emmett, starting Creation to Christ- where has the time gone?!? :D CTC is such a grown up guide, and I was a little worried about the transition Emmett would make, but it has gone well! The hardest thing for Emmett this week has been getting up in the morning on time, but by the end of the week he learned to set his alarm and has done better. :wink:

One of Emmett's favorite things is science. He is really enjoying his Land Animals... book, and his first experiment involved M & M's (of course a BIG hit)! Emmett learned about camouflage and had to search for certain colors of M & M's among crumpled paper. I remember from my last 2 times of teaching CTC to my older sons that this is one of the few experiments that needs outside things to gather (i.e. M & M's), but it is a great way to learn about camouflage in a fun, memorable way. Here Emmett is searching among the habitat for his M & M's...
Image ImageImageImage

The poetry appreciation study of Robert Frost this year has a focus on watercolor painting in response to reading Frost's beautiful creation-focused poetry, and painting has always been a favorite past-time of Emmett's. He cannot wait to break out his paints and paintbrushes, and I've learned from years' past of teaching this guide not to slip into my perfectionist personality type tendencies and overtake the project to make it look "just so" (guilty of this with earlier sons). It's art! And as such it's creative, and meant to encourage individual expression, I've learned to bow out once we've talked through the steps of the project. He was so proud of his tree when he was done (much more proud than my oldest son was of his tree when I overtook the project and made it look "just-so"!

We've started The Little Duke for the biography genre of Drawn into the Heart of Reading. It was tough at first for Emmett! Emmett is my doer in the summer, not my reader, and I probably need to have him have a set reading time next summer to ensure he's still reading. He loved the kick-off, where he found 5 items around the house to tell about himself and we then connected this to the genre biography. I think I'll split the readings of the chapter for him into 2 sections next week, having him do some on his off day to help him ease back into reading after the summer break.
Image Image

Emmett has seen his older brothers' full color notebooking pages and was super excited to have his own this year! He was crestfallen when I had to point out he'd mixed up his timeline order, putting box 2 in box 1, and box 1 in box 2. But, he was able to get past it and move on, and he has been reading his directions more carefully ever since...
Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:52 pm

World Geography:
Riley is starting 9th grade high school - another milestone I cannot believe we have come to! MTMM prepared him well for WG, and he honestly transitioned right into it pretty smoothly! He is my very careful direction follower though,he loves to read books, and he's pretty artistic. I like to call him my "Smiley Riley" because he really is just a fairly happy easy student for me to teach now. He told me he loves his WG guide, especially the Must See Places of the World DVD... and the science experiments... and the books... and the history projects... well, he pretty much has told me he loves just about everything this week, with one exception - Algebra I. I'm not surprised. However, once we started having him watch David Chandler's instruction for each chapter section of Algebra 1 first, he did so much better. I think we'll do that going forward each day. Here are some pictures of his work this first few weeks...

The Living Library - The Sign of the Door - 3 sentences with underlined notes and final combined 1 sentence summary...

The ACTS Model of Prayer for his Bible Quiet Time Prayer Journal:

Bible Study Rooted and Grounded:
Image Image

World Religions and Cultures Notebook:
Image Image

World Geography Notebook:
Image Image

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:34 pm

USII High School:
Well, the biggest transition for me of all this homeschool year is the shocking fact that I somehow have a 12th grader! My eldest son, Wyatt, is embarking on his last year of high school, and it just makes me full of joy and sadness all rolled in one! He is such a help to me - just an easiness about him, and always has been, but this realization that this is the last year I will get to be his teacher is making me a bundle of emotions because I just absolutely love to work with him! It's not even necessarily teaching so much anymore, more like this collaboration of learning, where my part is to come in and just enjoy seeing him do his part. Wyatt has done Prek through 12th grade with Heart of Dakota, and it's just been an awesome journey - I'm not sure I want it to end, yet that is success in some regards, isn't it? We can't homeschool them forever! Anyway, he started this USII guide the last 2 months of his 11th grade year (he's always been ahead - firstborn - me needing to prove myself - too many reasons to explain here), so this was a super easy start! We already had his schedule pretty much intact, altering it just slightly to fit in my other guides I'm teaching... here are my 3 blessings...

Every parent needs a Wyatt. I just have to say that a moment - a kid that puts his all in his school with a solid work ethic, that is just steady, but that has a hearty laugh and a great sense of humor; Wyatt brings joy and order to our home. For every parent wondering if homeschooling through high school is worth it, it is. What a joy and a privilege to know my son this well and to have his help and solid leading in our home for his brothers! All of this sacrifice, let's be honest ladies - homeschooling IS a sacrifice in many ways - has been and is worth it. This is the harvest of all that work. Just pure joy for me homeschooling Wyatt this year. I'm not saying there weren't bumps - big ones sometimes - but I can't say I can recall what they were right now. Just had to share that a moment! Ok, here is some of his work this week...
Image Image Image Image

Man of the Family - great book about a kid that becomes a man overnight caring for his family after his father dies. Love that our kids are reading books like this for the Living Library! Wyatt followed the Cereal Tycoon example for his triple journal entry on Man of the Family...

British Literature - what a fascinating line-up of books this year...
Image Image ImageImage

Economics Elective...

Awesome week!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie