Week In Review May 8 - 12

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

jellybeanmum

Week In Review May 8 - 12

Post by jellybeanmum » Tue May 16, 2017 2:38 am

Another lovely week under our belts. My 13 year old is very.. lenient to tell us his feelings at times. He's not one to say, "Oh I LOVED that.." or "Oh that really scared me.." He's the one who gets wiggly in all those emotional moments in films. So while I've really had a good feeling about how he feels about HOD, he's not outright said, "I love this curriculum."

So imagine our chuckles when the new HOD catalog showed up. The eldest brought the mail in & said, "Hey check out what we got!" I looked up & said, "Oh how funny, we got one in our order too!" The youngest, not hearing any of it, jumped up & snatched the catalog saying, "Can I look first please?" :mrgreen: I ended up having to ask him to stop enjoying the catalog so we could actually get work done! :lol:

Here's our week in review. Some new books were on our list this week, & we loved them.

rumkimom

Re: Week In Review May 8 - 12

Post by rumkimom » Tue May 16, 2017 10:18 am

It has been a LONG time since I posted anything here....

My 15 year old daughter is almost done with Res to Ref....it has been almost 2 years, but she has learned so much. (special needs) She still struggles with narrations (both oral and written ) but can now do them...and list more than who it was about. We are in the middle of Unit 34 and just ordered Rev to Rev. We should be able to begin at the beginning of June and do 2 units before summer starts (youngest is in public school so we will go full speed until he is home in the middle of June).

My 11 year old son is in Preparing and is in unit 17. I hope we can get to unit 20 before summer. We had lots of delays with him due to him having 2 cleft surgeries this school year (on in Oct and one in Feb). We are undecided about homeschooling him next year (looking at a Christian School, but with his delays in math/English we do not know if he they will take him or not, plus it is 15 miles away). If we do homeschool him, we will be doing NY state history (required in elementary school) and I think Uncle Sam and Me by Notgrass HIstory and one of the Alpologia science books. He is so delayed in English/Math that I need to focus there. If I continue to homeschool him, the year after he might be ready for CTC.

My youngest (was in Beyond until Feb when we put him in public school) is thriving in school and loves it (he is VERY social).

oh, my oldest is completing her first year of college this week....she has done very well (she was homeschooled from k-12, she did 2 half years of HOD, one in LHFHG and one in Bigger).
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Tue May 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Kendra, I love hearing about your successes. It encourages me that moving forward into RtR is yet again a great choice.

Rumkimom, Congrats on making it all the way through RtR. You're a wise mama to move at your daughter's pace! It sounds like you have had many other successes this year as well :)

This is a peek into our weeks in CtC and MtMM

CtC Unit 34 - http://www.monarchroom.com/2017/05/week ... it-34.html

MtMM Unit 34 - http://www.monarchroom.com/2017/05/week ... it-34.html

jellybeanmum

Post by jellybeanmum » Wed May 17, 2017 3:04 am

Wendy Hooray on making it halfway! I always feel it's a huge accomplishment to make it to the midway point of our curriculum. I'm excited to know that the halfway point is a bit less with HOD than our previous curriculum.

Tara I always love seeing your updates, & wow on that Wario pencil holder. Today, on the way home from the Dr my 13 year old who is so long & lanky asked if he could sit in the front, & when he climbed up there he said, "Oh wow, I don't feel like Wawalugi anymore." The image he gave was just so so funny! Quick question for you, is the Panama Canal covered in MTMM?? My eldest covered it today in his curriculum {He moves to HOD in September!} but I was very very dissapointed with how it was covered so I'm really curious about with HOD now. ;)

waterandclay

Post by waterandclay » Wed May 17, 2017 11:16 am

Waluigi is his absolute favorite of all :) He couldn't have made a very good pencil holder with his body shape though. I think the Panama Canal is mentioned briefly at the beginning of MtMM. You could probably easily add a book with more info about it if you would like.