Sneak Peek #6: New US2 History Guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tiffini

Re: Sneak Peek #6: New US2 History Guide

Post by Tiffini » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:41 pm

Wow! I admit I was very surprised when I saw this choice! I just assumed Physics would be it. I was actually really dreading it knowing that my kids are not headed that route in higher education, but I just figured it was a necessary evil and we would have to get through it. Actually, my oldest who just graduated did not do Physics and she got accepted into every college she applied to and was even invited to scholarship competitions for full rides. So, apparently, Physics is not a magical requirement if you are not headed into a Math/Physics based field. :D I am quite happy, relieved, and excited about the science for senior year now! I just wasn't expecting that at all. Once again, Carrie, you have have surprised and delighted me. Thank you for thinking outside the box and coming up with this. I asked my son tonight if he would rather take Physics or the course you have designed and his face just lit up as I described the course to him. It was a no-brainer for him! :D And his even less science-y twin sister will be even happier. :D :D Thank you!!
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

mom2four

Post by mom2four » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:07 am

Could you give us a wee bit more info on the quality labs kit? Is this a customized kit for HOD? Is the company called Quality Labs? It would be nice to have a link to 'see' the items listed :D
Homeschooling since 1998...more than halfway done! :)
ds (22 - college student), dd (20+ - college student), ds (17), ds (15)
Using part of World History for the first time this year with my two younger sons.

mom2four

Post by mom2four » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:11 am

Oops! Sorry - posted this question under the wrong area...

Could you give us a wee bit more info on the quality labs kit? Is this a customized kit for HOD? Is the company called Quality Labs? It would be nice to have a link to 'see' the items listed :D
Homeschooling since 1998...more than halfway done! :)
ds (22 - college student), dd (20+ - college student), ds (17), ds (15)
Using part of World History for the first time this year with my two younger sons.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:52 pm

Carrie - So excited that you've put together a fresh idea for science that is God honoring, that is innovative, that uses an inspirational variety of resources, and that offers something other than the usual physics! I know you could have just scheduled a physics science easily, but this alternative gives students the opportunity for something special and unique, while still being 12th grade credit worthy. Every single moment we can help strengthen our children's faith in the Lord, especially when they are seniors in high school and are near being launched 'out into the world' - I am all on board. Thanks, and I can't wait to see this come together!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:34 pm

Ladies,

I really appreciate your feedback! The decision for the senior year of science was one that had weighed heavily upon my heart for years. Your posts have much wisdom and experience behind them, and I greatly appreciate your thoughts. :D

As far as the questions go, the Quality Science Lab kit is a kit that is being customized for HOD through Quality Science Labs. This is the same company who did the MicroPhySci Kit used in our World Geography guide. :D The company provides excellent service, has a heart for the Lord, does a terrific job of packaging and labeling their materials, writes clear lab manuals with interesting experiments, and provides space to record data right within the manual. We are still working on the paleontology portion to see how to handle that part of the lab experience. :D

The experiments are laid out with:
*The goals or learning objectives
*The materials and equipment included and commonly available items that you may need to be supply
*An introduction of the science concept(s)
*Step-by-step instructions
*Data collection and questions
*Devotional material that relates to the lab

Blessings,
Carrie

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:05 am

Carrie,
Thank you for thinking outside the box for science. My science loving son said this looked like fun. We are very science minded here. I may even get to all the rock collection kits i have acquired through the years.

You mentioned the possibility of doing 2 sciences for their senior year. I may pursuit this route. Next year my son will be in 10th grade and I hope to use this new guide. I hope to use Physics 101 and then HOD AH2 science. My son has thrived in all the science HOD has offered. The only one he will miss out on is WG physical science. My son did advanced EE in Rev2Rev with all the Chemistry from MTMM over the summer. In MTMM my son used AH1 science. He truly loved this year. Each day after his Bible quiet time he opened that huge textbook and tackled all that math. Why? Because he loved it of course. I am glad that you were willing to take a chance on a totally new science curriculum. It was a delight for my son. This year my son will be using WH Biology and MTMM Evolution. Next year I think the physics will be a nice substitite for WG physical science that we won't get to. Also the science from AH2. I am eagerly anticipating the email next week.

Again thank you for all the wisdom contained in this post about alternative options. That has given me so many ideas and wonderful plans. I know the Lord orders our steps and has good plans for each one of us. As homeschoolers we have many options. I have used HOD for my youngest 2 all the way through. This has been a great fit. You have made our days delightful and manageable. My children have learned so many skills along the way. HOD has been the just right challenge. My son is not a history lover, but HOD has made it enjoyable. Keeping the focus on Christ throughout history has made our homeschool Christ centered. Thanks again for making this journey so pleasant.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2