Re: Week-in Review April 3-10th 2015

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:36 am

Hello HOD Homeschoolers,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:51 am

I have been trying really hard to remember to catch a few moments on camera this week.
LHTH we are still on week 3 and going nice and slowly since she is so tiny .But we are loving our special time .I love watching her doing the rhyme and the actions. My heart just melts
http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.co. ... w.html?m=1
currently Using

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:06 am

http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.co. ... 2.html?m=1
My middle student is doing wonderfully with the jump up to Bigger. He has taken to it like a duck to water. We have been reading One Small Square :Seashore .We even managed a trip to the beach this week. He loved the science experiment too.
currently Using

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:26 am

We have had a good week with my big guy. For some time , writing has been a great struggle for him. We know that he has learning delays alongside with his aspergers. Its hard to express but it makes even the smallest step forward a massive victory .http://stanleysmagicgarden.blogspot.co. ... 3.html?m=1
currently Using

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:44 pm

Thanks for sharing! I have read past weeks-in-review and not posted. Things are busy around here and I haven't found the time. But school is back in swing and we are making progress which is great to see!

My oldest did 1/2 of Unit 4 and 1/2 of Unit 5 of CTC. She had some bumps at the beginning of last week and wasn't able to finish her work each day, especially not by a reasonable time. The last 2 days were much better. We had some tears, and some talks, and I guess she decided to apply herself more. Her independent block is long and I can understand that she's getting sidetracked or distracted. I do try to touch base with her at certain points throughout saying "what are you working on now? How's it going? Do you need any help?" But sometimes she still gets derailed. I am struggling because the painting is kind of difficult, at least I see it as difficult to follow the directions precisely and I don't think she is doing a great job of that. But on the other hand she is enjoying it and she is doing pretty well overall so maybe I should loosen up. I do know that I need to be more gracious when I have criticisms of what she's done or how she's done it. I don't want to crush her spirit.

We misplaced Genesis Finding Our Roots and had started Beautiful Girlhood (Bible study in RTR) anyway so we have kept going with that instead of Genesis Finding our Roots and it has been really really good. She is definitely showing signs of pre-teen angst, and a desire to spend more time with friends her own age. We are working on trying to make those plans and make that happen but haven't yet got it into a regular rhythm.

My 2nd did 1/2 of Unit 13 and 1/2 of Unit 14 of Bigger. She is doing well and we are really enjoying all of the activities included in Bigger. She is growing into the level and amount of writing needed to accomplish it. I am really proud of her. We are nearing the American Revolution and reading about George Washington, today was Thomas Jefferson. John Audubon is also a favorite and she does really lovely science notebooking pages. She loves to draw.

My 3rd did 1/2 of Unit 19 and 1/2 of Unit 20. She is doing really well and I kind of feel this is too light for her. But she is not even 6 yet so we will just keep going, but I am trying to figure out how to fill her day up more with work or positive things for her to focus on. She and 3YO brother get a lot of free play time while I am working with the others or taking care of the baby and that can be counter productive. Plus I need to schedule in more one-on-one time with her and the 3YO who is often neglected as long as he's not making trouble. I remember feeling this way when my 3rd born was 3. We did start LHTH with my 3rd when she was 3 but my 4th born being a boy I don't know if he is ready yet. I did introduce scissors to him, and he is great with counting and numbers. I guess we've done enough books that he already recognizes the numbers, at least 1-3 and can count well up to 5.

This week we are doing only 1/2 a week to get back on a M-F Day 1-Day 5 schedule now that our co op is over. We will be continuing into the summer, maybe taking 1-2 weeks off and that's all because we took a month off in January when baby was born.

Blessings!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:55 am

Melissa. Sounds like you have a busy home. I started LHTH both times early -because I needed to schedule some 'school time' with my littlest one.I didn't see much difference between my two(first time round it was with my son-now with my daughter)
. Before -that I remember setting both the toddler and the 5year old up with the art or craft projects in LHFHG.Since you have your hands full running 3 guides -that might be a better option. But mostly I just wanted to encourage you.
currently Using

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:56 am

MelInKansas wrote: We misplaced Genesis Finding Our Roots and had started Beautiful Girlhood (Bible study in RTR) anyway so we have kept going with that instead of Genesis Finding our Roots and it has been really really good. She is definitely showing signs of pre-teen angst, and a desire to spend more time with friends her own age. We are working on trying to make those plans and make that happen but haven't yet got it into a regular rhythm.
If you ever find your book, I highly recommend completing too :-) I personally have learned so much myself and my dd has really enjoyed some of the projects.

And I know what you mean about this study from RTR. My oldest will start it next year. I can't wait. She is ready too :-) She is full of hormones right now. I don't know how my mom survived me if I acted anything like this....which I am sure I did :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM