Week-in-Review Nov. 17-21

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

my3sons

Week-in-Review Nov. 17-21

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:22 pm

Ok Fellow HOD Homeschoolers,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Re: Week-in-Review Nov. 17-21

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory:
One of my favorite art projects we have done is of the beautiful blossoms on a apple tree, and the various parts of the tree, including the roots. This was in response to reading about Johnny Appleseed in history, and then reading about trees in science. I love how the history theme has so many connections - even science. What better way to understand what Johnny Appleseed was doing by handing out apple seeds to pioneers, than also understanding HOW apple trees are planted and grow? Emmett loves painting, and this project turned out so neatly. The little tissues make pretty blossoms, the yarn makes easily identifiable roots, the paint and coffee grounds make convincing bark/trunk area, and the paper towel blotted green paint makes nice leaves. What fun! :D
Image Image

Moving on, we studied about three different trails the pioneers took, all leading out of Independence, MO. It truly was amazing to read about how resourceful the pioneers were! The fact that they could even figure out how to hoist their wagons and possessions up and down mountains/cliffs, how to take the wheels off their wagons and make them watertight to use like boats to cross rivers, and so on - boggles the mind. :shock: Emmett loved reenacting the oxen pushing and pulling the wagon across the river, down the river around various obstacles, and (his favorite) up steep cliffs (a.k.a. our stairs :wink: ). He quickly learned the science concepts of push and pull, and which was easier to do in each given circumstance. :D
Image Image

In "Drawn into the Heart of Reading" Emmett continues to learn about Main Idea. He did a good job of finding supporting details for his main idea, and he wrote them quite neatly too. He dictated the answers to me, I wrote them on a marker board, and then he copied them into his Student Workbook. This is working well for him, as it helps him focus on sharing his best answers rather than being worried about spelling and punctuation. It also helps him write properly. He did a nice job of finding connections between Abraham from the Bible and his DITHOR book. I especially liked his last answer! :D

In Storytime, Emmett got all of the right answers for the close passage follow-up to our reading of "All of a Kind Family." This realistic fiction book is cleverly written, and he is really enjoying it. I love to cuddle up on the couch and read with Emmett. He looks forward to ALL of the reading we get to do in "Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory." I am so glad we are able to use excellent living books for our learning in school with HOD. It is so much more exciting than dry textbooks. It holds his attention, and it helps him be able to remember better what we are learning because of the varied follow-up skills he is doing. This is so much more memorable than worksheets would be. I love being able to teach my dc this way - what an incredible blessing. :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:20 pm

Resurrection to Reformation:
Riley is just over halfway through his guide, and he is in such a good routine with it. He knows what he needs to do for each subject area, as we worked together on this at the start of the guide. Now, he just gets to add some finesse to things. This is always such a good place to be at in a guide. The middle really is my favorite time. It is just smooth sailing, and not as busy as the months at the end of the school year (just due to my schedule and my dh's schedule). Plus, it is bitterly cold winter weather here now, which means hot cocoa, fireplaces blazing, and happy times indoors to homeschool. Studying the beautiful paintings of Michelangelo and Leonardo daVinci and actually being able to see full color pictures of them was pretty special. Riley cannot believe how talented they were! He also could not believe that Michelangelo didn't necessarily like painting, but rather preferred sculpting. The Sculptures we studied of Michelangelo's (especially the Pieta and Moses) WERE really something for the eye to behold though! Riley studied Moses a very long time, shaking his head in disbelief at the detail.

In "Looking at Pictures," we studied Claud Monet's multiple paintings of his water-lilly pond. Depending on the time of day and the season, the pond could look very different. It was interesting to study them side by side and note the similarities and differences. "Looking at Pictures" explains so much about the paintings and their painters. It really is an education! I like the Charlotte Mason quotes in RTR's key idea for art appreciation, and I always read it aloud at the close of the assignment. Picture study has been fun to do with RTR's Art gallery. The pictures are bold and beautiful, and easy to use for picture study.

We also read about Jan van Eyck and studied his paintings "Madonna in the Church," "The Annunciation," and "The Arnolfini Marriage." This week was full of sums truly breathtaking art! :D This tied into research, as Riley researched Bruges in West Flanders, Belgium, which was where Jan van Eyck grew up and painted for awhile. During the Renaissance, it became a very important place due to its location.

Riley's written narration was about Niccolo Machiavelli, the Medici family, and Cesare Borgia. His written narrations are getting better and better. They have more length, more interesting information, and better punctuation and grammar. There are still things to improve on - there always are. But, I am pleased with the progress! :D
Image Image

In science, Riley is learning about ocean currents. "A Child's Geography" is one of the few books on this topic that is written narratively. It really is such a special book, with its own unique style that draws its readers in. Riley likes choosing which 'postcard' he will use for each assignment, and he looks forward to reading the book as well.

What a good week this has been! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:55 am

I selfishly must confess, I am really grateful for your blogging and sharing each week Julie. I love seeing what your kids are working on (especially Riley as my Allie will be doing R2R next year) as it highlights what is to come and brings back memories of things we have done (Emmett doing Beyond this year brings back memories for me each week of my two youngest doing Beyond last year). So thanks for your time spent on these postings.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Tooactiveboys

Post by Tooactiveboys » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:59 pm

Studying Theodore Rosevelt as an outdoor's man. Also enjoyed going through some photo albums showing the boys some national parks we would love to take them to someday. Boys loved the pretend camping and "bear hunt"!
LHFHG

(Almost done with LHFHG... Now have my stuff for Beyond... I love Box Day!)

[URL=http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

PS Any help on posting pics is appreciated :wink:
Becky
Married to DH 21 years
DS 9 just finishing Bigger
DS 8 just finishing Bigger
Completed: LHFG, Beyond

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:29 pm

I too always enjoy your posts Julie and they really go into great detail and the pictures are priceless! I go in spurts with taking good photos of our homeschooling journey. I just finished a photobook of 2013-2014 and it was so fun to go back and look over all the photos I took, but I know there are tons of things we did that I never got photos of! Sometimes I am just in the moment, or I am all about getting it done. Sigh.

Last week was a really good week for us school wise. We are in a good routine with all 3 guides, and my oldest is excited about almost being done with Preparing. I am also formulating the plan for "baby time." We will probably take a break between Preparing and CTC, and shoot to start CTC up in March. Between now and then I am going to do math, DITHR, and the Bible study from Res to Ref about growing into a woman. I am wanting to do that before next year, as I think my DD really needs to hear it now. Praying for an open heart and that God's Word will bless us both. I have been reading "Beautiful Girlhood" in preparation and it has really convicted ME about my own character and how I don't honor God with my words and actions so often. What does it mean to be a godly woman and a blessing to others? Such great stuff.

Okay I get ahead of myself. Last week was Unit 34 of Preparing, Unit 5 of Bigger and Unit 11 of LHFHG.

It is so satisfying to see my oldest completing several things in the guide. The math books are done. The English book is almost done, etc. Her notebook containing all of her written pages and some of the artwork is full of the progress she has made throughout this year (we started Preparing last December). She is doing science completely on her own now, DITHR mostly on her own, and History Project usually on her own. She has grown so much in math as well. This has been a really big year for her, and Preparing has been such a great framework for her to build this knowledge on. She had already read books about WWII for example, probably some fiction she got from the library. We are now reading about that in CHOW and so this puts it into place in the historical context of world history. It does seem to go over things so quickly, but I know the overview is the point right now and we will go so much more in depth in the coming years. I have also been reading some of the books from CTC and am again learning so much myself :)

Bigger is great. I confess to my "not finishing" completely everything every day right now. I really do need to work on this. But I am 7.5 months pregnant.... what an excuse! And the past 6 weeks are probably the busiest of my life.... I hope December will be slower commitment-wise but then we will be preparing for the holidays and things. I love the more in-depth science for my DD and the way it has all tied together. Her favorite thing is storytime. Right now I am reading Baby Island to her. My oldest snapped it up right when I got it out and read it and said "Oh wow, this is a great book!" We are all enjoying it.

LHFHG has been going really smoothly and my DD seems to be really growing a lot with it. It is just the right amount. I think I will be able to continue doing LHFHG at least part time after baby comes but I just don't know about getting in all of the other things. As I already mentioned, my oldest is dialing way back in terms of amount of school work. I consider it the school of life, or maybe "Unschooling" a little bit right now. Life skills, family support, child development, etc. The thing I do want to try to keep my oldest going on is writing, since that is an area of struggle. I haven't yet decided what my plan is there. Maybe book reports? DITHR is some writing but I think she may need to do more than that... any suggestions are welcome.

Blessings to others!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:45 pm

World History High School:
Wyatt mentioned that this is one of his favorite Bible studies he has ever done. I would agree! :D "The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study: Old Testament Vol. I" is what we are studying this year, and it has been so insightful. I enjoy reading Wyatt's answers, and the answer key is easy to use, but it is really all of the connections the study draws out that are powerful. It is quite in-depth, so it has been great partnered with the less formal prayer journal and Scripture Memory work. Wyatt has used some youtube videos to help him learn all the books of the Bible in order, and now he is working on the 10 Commandments. The youtube videos with finger signs and brief explanations for each have made this very easy and fun. The Selah hymn study is teaching him hymns, and the notes in the CD insert have been really stirring too. I'm so glad Bible is a daily, meaningful part of Heart of Dakota. By the time Wyatt finishes his homeschooling with Heart of Dakota, he will have had daily Bible study and/or Bible Quiet Times every single day of his schooling, from preschool through his senior year in high school. That kind of time in the Bible, in prayer, in praise music, in devotions, in discussions with me, in Scripture memorization - cannot be 'made up' later in life. I am so glad our dc have an education keeping Christ front and center all the way through. I view this as the highest form of 'education,' though it has taken me a lifetime career in teaching to come to that conclusion. Thank God He is patient, loving, and kind - and willing to refine like silver His children, like ME and my sons - a constant work in progress.

For Literature Study, Wyatt is reading "Pearl Maiden." I read this book myself for pure enjoyment a handful of years back, and I am thrilled Carrie chose to include it. It is one of those books that begins slowly, picking up speed, and coming to an ending you want to give a standing ovation! :D It also accurately describes the struggles during the time when both Jews and Romans despised Christians, and how even in extremely dire times of trials, God does have a plan, and it is a good one, even if at times it seems it is not. The Scriptures Wyatt is looking up as he reads "Pearl Maiden" show how Scripture truly can give clarity in what is wrong and right, and in what decisions are the right ones - even though they may seem impossible. As a mother of 3 sons, I especially appreciate Miriam's mom's dying plea for Miriam to marry someone who would be 'equally yoked' - or in other words, marry someone who also believes in Christ with all of his heart. That is certainly my prayer for my sons! That they too would each marry a young lady who first and foremost, loves Christ! This is just one more reason 'Pearl Maiden' is an amazing book! :D

Wyatt's Topic Narration was about Roman Architecture. He listed the main topics in the order he wanted to narrate upon them, and then listed phrases behind them to jog his memory. This has taught him many important skills, such as taking notes, planning for an oral 'presentation,' considering proper sequence, using events' /characters'/ and settings' proper names, and simply referring to notes and looking up as he is giving his oral narration. He is getting more and more comfortable with this, and can ad lib more and more between points in a way that is quite narrative. You can see his notes in Box 5 of the picture.

Wyatt also had a talking points narration, in which he discussed various philosophers, their beliefs, and how those beliefs impacted the way they lived their lives. I thoroughly enjoyed his retelling of this "People, Places, and Events of World History" reading in this manner. I like how Carrie keeps narrations fresh by using varied approaches, yet still keeps them true to Charlotte Mason ideas by encouraging personal style in retellings. You can see Wyatt's notes in Box 8 - the highlighting shows the force or power each philosopher believed controlled the universe.
Image Image

In art, Wyatt started his 'Horsing Around' project with chalk pastels. Pat Knepley is a truly gifted art teacher. Her directions are so clear, and she is a very positive, encouraging Christian lady. I see her drawing the artist out of Wyatt (no pun intended :wink: ), while also encouraging the natural artistry of his cousin, Shaw. That is no easy task - to help those who are not as into art and to take those further who live and breathe for art! I am impressed. :D The picture below is just the start of his project, more pictures will follow when he finishes it! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:04 am

I am going to try this picture upload thing :-)

My dd made a map of Israel and the surrounding countries last week out of homemade play dough (since I didn't have any clay or playdough at the house, I made some)

Last edited by Nealewill on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:08 am

Okay - so I got the picture in here :-) Now how do I make this picture smaller please :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Nealewill wrote:Okay - so I got the picture in here :-) Now how do I make this picture smaller please :-)
Well, I love that picture - in any size. :D Your dd has your sparkly eyes (I do remember meeting you at the book fair :D )! She did a nice job on her project. You can choose the "thumbnail" option to make it smaller. I'm so glad you are posting pictures - whatever the size! :D :D :D Happy Thanksgiving!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:19 pm

Nealewill - I resize my images in photo editing software to 300x220 (I think, I pick 300 for the longer dimension and it fills in the other to make the right proportion) before I upload. Then they seem to look the right size.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Julie - you have an excellent memory!!!

Melissa - thanks for the tips

to both - I am passing both of these comments on to my husband so he can help me :-) I personally think that have many amiable qualities but using the computer is NOT one of them LOL. I am going to show him both comments and see if he can help me to resize the picture :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R