Week In Review: October 7-10

This forum is for sharing what your week was like with Heart of Dakota. The goal is to post on Thursdays. You can share a picture, a blog link, a written synopsis, your favorite memory, or anything you want that shares your HOD excitement.

MelInKansas

Week In Review: October 7-10

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Ok Fellow HOD Homeschoolers,

What was YOUR week Like?

You can post:

a- A picture
b- A blog Link
c- A written synopsis
d- Your favorite memory
e- Anything you want that shares your HOD excitement!

Important Note: If you are linking us to your blog, please make sure it's not just a general link, but to your specific post of HOD. That way if someone reads through these a year from now they can find your share without needing to hunt!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

MelInKansas

Re: Week In Review: October 7-10

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Hey everybody! It's been a fun week of HOD for us! I think we are settling into our routine with Preparing, Bigger and LHFHG. It hasn't been super smooth the whole time, on Monday for example I had to do the Bigger science experiment after dinner. But we got our 3 full days in, plus a day of co op and a day trip to a local pumpkin patch with other homeschoolers. It's been a beautiful week for weather and it makes me wish I had more energy to go out and rake leaves or something.

I covet prayers as the coming weeks are going to be very busy for me preparing for teaching a co op class and as always teaching, cooking, cleaning, and all the other things I continually do.

We did unit 29 of Preparing, Unit 1 of Bigger, and Unit 7 of LHFHG.
The kids at the pumpkin patch
The kids at the pumpkin patch
IMG_4184.JPG (52.34 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
Preparing is in the Renaissance right now and so we are learning about all of the new things people learned and did during that time. My DD really liked the online game about exploring/taking an expedition in a boat and trying to earn money. She failed more than she succeeded and I think it brought the point across that it was really risky to try to make money, but there was money to be made and lots of people wanted to do it. As always I have loved the discussion we have had. She finished up a book project for Adventure in DITHOR and made a presentation of her book as a movie. She really enjoyed that project, as she does with all of them, and now she is reading The Sign of the Beaver for Historical fiction.

Bigger we finished up 3 days to finish unit 1. It's focussing on Columbus and exploration of the New World. It was interesting getting everything set up, the timeline, the notebook, etc etc. I think it's starting to fall into place and I still need to gather up all of my Beyond stuff to put away. Again, my DD is really ready for this challenge and I think all the learning in Bigger is really going to help her grow. Here's a photo of her labelling the continents and oceans.
Olivia labelling the continents and oceans.
Olivia labelling the continents and oceans.
IMG_4131.JPG (32.29 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
LHFHG has been going well and is just right for my 5YO right now. She loves the Rhymes and all the hands-on activities that go with history, math, and everything. I love the Bible learning (just a great continuation from LHTH) and how easy it is for me to make school fun for her.

My update is short this week, I better go serve the family some dinner. Blessings to others!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven