I have a problem with the use of this word in a HOD book

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momtofive

Re: I have a problem with the use of this word in a HOD book

Post by momtofive » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:12 pm

I think if it were me, and I was hurt or offended by something within this curriculum's books, I would call or email the Austin's directly. They are dear, sweet, good christian people that wouldn't want you to feel this way. They could then explain more about this particular situation.

I am afraid that HOD is being painted in a bad light, all because of something they very likely may not have even been aware of as a controversial word.

Carrie and Julie are VERY busy as they are wrapping up the new guide, and likely have not been able to be on the board to address this topic.

Blessings as you seek answers.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:05 pm

momtofive wrote:I think if it were me, and I was hurt or offended by something within this curriculum's books, I would call or email the Austin's directly. They are dear, sweet, good christian people that wouldn't want you to feel this way. They could then explain more about this particular situation.

I am afraid that HOD is being painted in a bad light, all because of something they very likely may not have even been aware of as a controversial word.

Carrie and Julie are VERY busy as they are wrapping up the new guide, and likely have not been able to be on the board to address this topic.

Blessings as you seek answers.
Thank you Lisa that is exactly what I was trying to say. This is a very busy time when they make great sacrifices just so they can get a guide out every year so that people like us can have a new guidebook to do with their oldest. Other publishers do not always sacrifice this way and for that reason are not as dependable. I am sure the Austin's will take this very seriously and will deal with it as soon as they know the next guide is settled and at the printer. I know this will be soon so I think it would be better if we let them handle it directly. Truly that would be the Christlike way to do it since this is a highly emotional issue and only they can find solution for it. I am 100% positive there was no intent and probably no knowledge of racism. There are many parts of the country where racial slurs etc are just not known. I know their hearts and I know this would not be their intent. Be patient and let them answer for themselves on this after they are done. And in the future we might think about handling these kinds of things directly to the Austins and then they can take the necessary steps. It seems very unfair to do it any other way. In fact biblically it is clear that is the way to handle an offense first directly to the person and only to others when that person refuses to answer. The Austins were not even given that grace. So if we can be patient let's show them the grace they deserve. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:30 pm

I asked DH, neither of us have heard of it. As others have said, I think most haven't. I'm sorry you were offended. I'm willing to guess Carrie has never heard of it either. (((hugs)))
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Wow...I also have never heard this word --and I'm in the deep, deep Way Down DEEP South...I'm also so sorry that you were offended by it, though. But, maybe as others have suggested it is a regional thing???
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

Mom of Three

Post by Mom of Three » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 pm

[quote="water2wine There are many parts of the country where racial slurs etc are just not known. [/quote]

This is true. If we haven't faced this sort of thing, we are not familiar with the language.
2 daughters in Beyond Little Hearts and CLE Math

1 daughter in Creation to Christ and Teaching Textbooks Math

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:42 pm

choochooboysmom wrote:I'm from the deep south (LA-lower Alabama) and I use this term all the time! I guess it is how you are brought up!

Interesting... I'm also from the deep South (LA-lower Alabama). I have lived here my whole life (43 years) and I have never heard anyone use this word!! We read Reddy Fox awhile back. I don't recall thinking it sounded like a slur or anything negative. Admittedly, Reddy Fox was my least favorite Thornton Burgess book.
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:58 am

Ditto to what Mom2Monkeys said and some others. i didn't even think of it as a word i had to look up and thought it was a cute name like another poster said. i didn't grow up hearing it and i grew up in the South.

Jenn d
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

Larissa

Post by Larissa » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:55 pm

There has already been some wonderful thoughts and advice given on this thread, but I also wanted to add that I have taken 1 child through LHFHG - and I also did not know the meaning or origin of that word. I also thought it was a just a silly term referring to the children. I had never heard the word before. I've used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and Bigger. I am getting ready to take my oldest through Preparing, 2nd son through Beyond, and 3rd son through a modified LHFHG ... and I also want to encourage you that it is a wonderful curriculum with great care given in the book selection. We have been thrilled with the choices. Now that I know the meaning of that word, I will either skip the word, or use it as a teachable moment. That will depend on the particular child to which I am reading.
Larissa
Wife to Rich (14 years)
Mommy to Martin(9)(Preparing), Aaron(7)(Beyond), Jonathan(5), and Rosalie(3)

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Why not use this as a "teachable" moment? Yes, that word was used in the past. Should we ignore it? The holocaust is our past also. Do we ignore it? No. We use these terrible things to teach our children right and wrong. Loving the Lord, acting like a Christian or not. Use this moment.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:57 pm

Ladies,

I have been in the midst of wrapping up our latest guide, which will hopefully be off to the printer tomorrow. As I've been working 12-14 hour days on the guide for awhile now, I haven't been able to be on the board as much as I usually like to be. :D However, with the length of this particular thread and the strong feelings evoked within it, I have stopped everything on the new guide to take a moment to respond.

First of all, I'll say that I fully agree it is necessary to be diligent in guarding our children's hearts, ears, and minds. As parents that is a huge and awesome responsibility that God has given us. Each family must decide how to go about doing this and I believe that the Lord gives each family His counsel on how much censorship is appropriate.

Next, I'll share that as a writer of teacher's guides I fully realize the extra care that must be taken as I write guides that other families will use with their children. It is a burden that some days I feel is too heavy, and a responsibility that often I feel is more than one person should have. Yet, the Lord walks with me and prods me onward, imperfect though I am.

So, with these thoughts in mind, it is important to remember that we are partnering together in each of your children's education. Together we are responsible for what your child hears, sees, and ponders. I will be the first to admit that I am not all-knowing, and I had never heard of this word nor has my sister who lives in the South. So, I was unaware of its meaning. But, for those families who may know what it means, it's important to know that it is also your responsibility as the parent to decide how to deal with something like this that you may find offensive. Things like this come up in books, because we live in a sinful world. So, as a parent, when things like this arise, it is your choice whether to skip it or talk about it. With the age of your children, I can see why you'd rather wait to discuss it.

Another thing that must always be weighed when looking at words within books is the context in which they are used. In looking at the passage in which the word was used, I think it is VERY important to remember that the word is used by a POSSUM in reference to his own possum children. This is a very different circumstance. There are different meanings for words, and in the case shown below, you can see that Unc' Billy Possum is using this word to describe his own possum children in an endearing way. I do not share this to say that all meanings of this word are acceptable, but only to point out that the way in which it was used was not meant in the way that many families may be thinking when simply hearing the word out of context. I will post the context below, so it can be better understood:

Farmer Brown's boy whistled for Bowser the Hound and started for the Green Forest.

Unc' Billy Possum poked his sharp, little old face out from under the hen-house and watched them go. Usually Unc' Billy is grinning, but now there wasn't any grin, not the least sign of one. Instead Unc' Billy Possum looked worried.

"There goes that boy with a gun, and nobody knows what'll happen when it goes off. If he can't find Reddy Fox, just as likely as not, he'll point it at somebody else just for fun. Ah hope he doan meet up with mah ol' woman or any of mah li'l' pickaninnies. Ah'm plumb afraid of a boy with a gun, Ah am. 'Pears like he don't have any sense. Ah reckon Ah better be moving along right smart and tell mah family to stay right close in the ol' hollow tree," muttered Unc' Billy Possum, slipping out from his hiding-place. Then, Unc' Billy began to run as fast as he could toward the Green Forest.
" ( p. 55 -56 The Adventures of Reddy Fox)

From the context above, you can tell that Unc' Billy Possum loves his possum wife and possum children and is hustling to make sure they are safe. In this instance, he is meaning to refer to them in a loving way. I am so thankful for this board and for the Godly counsel that we can each share with one another when we come across something like this that may be worrisome in our reading. There is only one perfect book and that is the Lord's Word. All other books fall sadly short. This is why it is important to realize that as the parent you have the final say-so over your child's education. Each family will be different and have different needs and different hot buttons. I firmly believe in looking at the word in the context in which it was used that it was not meant as a slur. Your opinion may differ and with your family your opinion is the one that counts. In that way, only you can be vigilant enough for your own children.

I feel that the discussion on this thread has been outstanding and very enlightening. I praise God for each of you who responded, as I feel less alone in the burden I often carry. I am thankful we can walk this road together. At this point, I am going to close out the thread with my comments. This is because I feel that this topic has been discussed extensively and thoroughly. I covet your prayers as we work to be diligent in seeking the Lord's best for each of our guides.

Blessings,
Carrie