Bigger Hearts good for 4th grader?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Charika30

Bigger Hearts good for 4th grader?

Post by Charika30 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi all,

I was just wondering if BHFHG is good for a 4th grader who is 9 yrs old? I know there is an extension package for the history readings, but was also wondering about the Language Arts box and the rest of curriculum also and whether or not it will be academically rich and adequate for a 9 year old 4th grader? In the catalog it said it was for a second or third grader, but my son was only 8 years old in the third grade. Thanks so much in advance!

God bless you all :)
Charika

netpea

Re: Bigger Hearts good for 4th grader?

Post by netpea » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi, My dd is 8 (9 in Oct). She is going to be using Bigger for 4th grade with the extension package. We are doing it half speed a few days a week over the summer and then will ramp up to full time in the Fall. She will be using R&S 2 since she hasn't had any formal grammar yet, but you could easily use R&S3 if you want. Yes I believe the program is a full program and is enough for 4th grade with the extension package. There are narrations for the extension readings. Math and Grammar are done at whatever level your child is at.

Hope that helps a bit. It's late and I'm not thinking too clearly. :wink: I must be off to bed here soon.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:26 pm

My youngest son is 9 and in 4th grade, and we started Bigger a few weeks ago. He loves it! :) He's using R&S 3 and math at his level. You can also choose to use DITHR for reading at the child's level. I feel like Bigger is plenty rigorous for my 9 year old. :)

Have you looked at the placement chart? That's usually where folks start when trying to find the right fit for their kiddos. :)

Here's the link for the placement chart: http://heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Hope that helps!
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

MicheleW

Post by MicheleW » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:51 am

We did Preparing with my 4th grader last year, and I wish we had done Bigger with extension. I put her in Preparing because I wanted to combine with her older brother. It went OK, but sometimes I had to tweak writing assignments and such because they were a little difficult for her. Since she struggled some with Preparing, I did not feel she was ready to move to CTC next year, so we are going back and doing Bigger with extension next year for 5th grade. She was be in R&S 4, she does her own math, and I added in an Apologia science along with the HOD science, but other than that, I am very excited. We have not done American History (lots of Ancients and Medieval), so I can't wait to start the History readings! After this I will move her to CTC for 6th grade and by then I think it will be a good fit. We may do the extension, because she is a great reader, but I think the rest of the assignments will be just right for her. HTH
Michele
DS 10th M2M w/extension
DD 7th RTR w/extension

DHT1999

Post by DHT1999 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:23 am

My 4th grader will be using Bigger Hearts next year. He will using most of the Extension Package. He will be using R&S 3, instead of 2. We don't use Singapore so he will just resume what we have been using for math. He has already used some of the cursive book so he will just continue from where he is at and then begin to do some of his copywork in cursive. He places in Preparing but I think he needs more time to work on his writing and drawing skills before using it. He could do the work but I think he will enjoy it more and get more out of it if we wait a year. I also want to cover the American History in Biggers. I have considered supplementing the Science but have decided not to add anything formal. My boys love Science and do things informally on their own all the time, so I think he will have plenty.

I am really looking forward to it and think it will be right at his level.
2011-2012: Creation to Christ & Bigger Hearts

"He maketh the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children." - Psalm 113:9

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:24 am

My dd (now 10) was a 9 yo fourth grader when we started Bigger. And as a matter of fact, we won't finish it up till fall of this year (as a 10 yo 5th grader). I thought it was plenty "meaty". She is grouped with her brother that is 11 months younger. DD did "4th grade" math, reading, and English while DS did 3rd grade. Other than that, we haven't felt the need to add anything to Bigger (other than some of the extension books). The only thing that was a little different, was that I required her to be a bit more independent than the guide actually calls for. (Content and assignments were the same, she just did more on her own--mainly science and projects). It's been a fun guide for both of them :D
Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:15 pm

I am loving this thread! Such a great confirmation of our guide choice! :)
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

Charika30

Post by Charika30 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:23 pm

Thank you all so much for your responses. I really enjoyed reading each one. I did use the placement chart and after reading all your replies, I am very happy with our choice to use Bigger for my 4th grader. He is behind in math, but i will just try to figure out a plan to do more with him each day to catch him up. Thanks again! :D GBU!