Questions about placement of 10 yr dd new to HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
michmom2

Questions about placement of 10 yr dd new to HOD

Post by michmom2 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Hello! I was hoping to get some advice on the placement of my 10 yr dd. We are considering HOD this year and after studying the placement chart I believe she would fit into CTC, only my thoughts or "gut" feeling keep drawing me back to Preparing. I keep thinking it might be a better transition being our first year. The planner in me says CTC as to not mess up the schedule lol! But the mom in me says Preparing!

Please help me with any thoughts or suggestions!

Thank you
Kerrie

netpea

Re: Questions about placement of 10 yr dd new to HOD

Post by netpea » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:34 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the overall plan, but look at which program fits best this year. :D
Could you tell us more about your daughter and what about Preparing is drawing you to it. Does she like to write? Does she enjoy independent work?
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

michmom2

Post by michmom2 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:19 am

Thank you for the reply! I will list the reasons I think my dd fits into CTC

Age=10
Reading=independent but hasn't used DITHOR
Writing=writes cursive, has had some dictation, done oral narrations but not written
Grammar=knows parts of speech but no diagramming

I think Preparing may work better because the workload of CTC may be too much since we are new to HOD. I don’t want to place her where she won't be challenged and I just don't know. I don’t want to baby her. I don’t want to pick the wrong level even though my motherly instinct tells me Prparing.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:55 am

Thanks for sharing about your dd! :D Motherly instincts are often good ones, and I am thinking PHFHG would be a good fit too. PHFHG will teach written narrations from the standpoint that dc have not done them before. It also includes Levels 3 and 4 for Grammar, and Level 3 is where dc begin to diagram. It has 3 levels of dictation to choose from, and they will fit a child just beginning dictation well. In PHFHG, you will be reading a portion of the history, and your dd will be reading a portion. This is a nice balance for beginning an HOD guide as it will have you coming alongside her for more of it before she is asked to be more independent. She will read and do her science independently, so that will be an appropriate challenge for her as well. PHFHG has less writing in it, and it is an outstanding way to go through a 1 year sweep of history before beginning to go through the history time periods individually. You will have a chance to really teach dd how to do each of the boxes of the plans as she is new to HOD, and then she'll gradually grow in these skills so by the time she is doing CTC - and it is more independent and has more writing in it - she will be very prepared for this and successful with that transition. But what are your thoughts on this? :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:20 pm

We were in the same place you are a couple of years ago. My oldest was 10, and could have fit into CtC. I was a little worried (being new to HOD/Charlotte Mason) that we needed a transition year. We ended up going with Preparing--and I am very thankful we did! She had a really good year solidifying some things that she could do, but wasn't proficient with (narrations, independence, etc). I still think she probably could have gone with CtC in that first year, and done ok. But I know she got SO much more out of CtC, doing it after coming from Preparing than she would have if we'd have gone with it that first year. Some of the skills being built in Preparing were skills she had already mastered. However, I think the skills that were meshed out that year far outweighed any questions I had about placing her "below" where she could have been.

Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

michmom2

Post by michmom2 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:38 am

Thank you for your insights Julie, I really appreciate your comments. I do agree with all you have said and I think that is why my instinct tells me to order Preparing, the planner in me just wanted my dd to be in CTC if possible so as to use the complete cycle Lord willing. But I believe having my dd at the Preparing level will make for a wonderful transition year.

Holdon, thank you for your experience, it is just the confirmation I needed! I think Preparing will make for a great year without being overwhelming. I too think my dd could do the work in CTC only I also think it could take alot longer and more handholding and possibly more frustration at times.

Thank you all! I am going to use Preparing for my 10 yr dd. Now to figure out a plan for my 9th grade dd. I am considering Rev to Rev, still not sure!

Thank you
Kerrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:44 pm

Great, Kerrie! Sounds like you are set with PHFHG! :D When I read this part of your post...
michmom2 wrote:...Now to figure out a plan for my 9th grade dd. I am considering Rev to Rev, still not sure!
I thought of these threads that may be helpful... :D

RevtoRev for High School by Carrie:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8208
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9567

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:09 pm

I will be using Rev to Rev for my 9th grade daughter next year. I am really looking forward to it. I have 2 high schoolers right now, and while they are doing well academically, I cannot say that I look forward to their school. I am hoping to change that with my daughter.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

michmom2

Post by michmom2 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:53 pm

Thank you Julie, I will check them out and if I have any questions I will start a new thread!

8arrows, I hope your school year with your daughter goes well. I am leaning heavily in the Rev to Rev direction. Are you adding some things to it and if you are would you mind sharing?

Thanks
Kerrie