High School Government

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mamas4bugs

High School Government

Post by mamas4bugs » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:02 pm

In a previous post, Carrie said:

In the area of government, you'd already be studying the signers of the Declaration of Independence through Rev. to Rev. and reading the Declaration of Independence. Plus, the history readings already in Rev. to Rev. would discuss government concepts too. There is also the full-blown 50 states study that also fits well in this area. So, to finish out the government credit, it would make sense to add something like The 5,000 Year Leap for government and alternate reading a chapter of that with reading some of the The Federalist Papers. If you don't have time to read all 85 of The Federalist Papers, just read some of them! Each is an individual paper. If your child also read the Constitution, this would all add up to a semester of government credit (.5), when used in conjunction with what you're already covering within Rev. to Rev. Listing the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, some of the Federalist Papers, the research on the Lives of the Signers, and the 5,000 Year Leap, you would have a strong high school government course.

Which looks like a great idea. :) So here's my question. Caleb will be in 9th when we use Rev to Rev. He's a bright kid and a voracious reader, but I'm a little concerned those books might be over his head in 9th, as government is usually taught in 11th or 12th (I think).

Do you think these choices would be appropriate for a 9th grader to add in for a government credit? Thanks! :)
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: High School Government

Post by Carrie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:44 am

mamas4bugs,

I do think that the 5,000 Year Leap is quite narrative and would make so much sense when read alongside the history studied within Rev2Rev. You could weigh how many of the Federalist Papers you'd like him to read, maybe just selecting a few of the less heavy ones to give him some exposure to them. Government is not an easy study no matter when it is done, but if it is studied within the context of history it is so much richer! If preferred, you could have him read it over the summer instead, but I'd lean toward doing it on the 5th day each week if it were me. :D

You could easily wait if desired, but I do think the books used within Rev2Rev for the history spines are not nearly as lengthy as what is coming on the HOD path, so the load would be less heavy reading-wise in this particular year than in those years as we move up in the guides. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks, Carrie! :) On the 5th day--that's a good idea. We'll be using the 5th day for science experiments and art, so adding in the Federalist Papers then would work great!

He'll only get to do two of the actual high school guides--geography and World--but he's really excited about what he does get to do, and I'm excited about using the other guides with the younger ones.

Thanks for taking time with us! I know how busy you must be right now, and we are all so blessed by your hard work. :)
Crawdad 11 Preparing

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:48 am

While you can gladly do this any way you desire, I was just thinking late last night that The 5,000 Year Leap has 28 chapters, so it could be read on the 5th day as well, doing a chapter a week. :D Some of the chapters are longer, so those would be good to split. You could just have your son mark a few things or underline a few things that he found interesting as he reads to share with you after the reading. :D It would be a tougher book to narrate from a whole chapter at a time, as it has quite a bit of factual material. Perhaps coupling the readings with the coordinating Federalist Paper (on the same day) as referred to in The 5,000 Year Leap would work on some Fridays too. This will give the Federalist Papers some context and make them a more meaningful read. :D

Anyway, just a few thoughts that may keep your son's week in balance, so it doesn't get too heavy on any one day. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks so much, Carrie! :)

Printing this to put in his plans section of my binder for next year so I don't forget and ask the same question again. :P
Crawdad 11 Preparing