Bigger w/extensions for a dc in 5th grade

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
playschool

Bigger w/extensions for a dc in 5th grade

Post by playschool » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:20 pm

I was thinking of using this with my 2nd grade dd as well as my 5th grade ds, who would also use the extensions. Besides the extra reading in the extensions what could be added to the history part of it to make it more on the level of 5th grade. I was thinking of having my dc do written narrations that go along with the history readings, but of course let my younger dc in 2nd grade just do the oral narrations as stated in the TM. Is there anything else that you did with your older dc to beef it up for them? Thanks!

tnahid

Re: Bigger w/extensions for a dc in 5th grade

Post by tnahid » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:19 am

Just wanted to pop in and say that I plan to do my almost 8 and my 10 year old together in Bigger with extensions for the older son. So I am right there with you!
There is a thread where Carrie talks about making Bigger more independent, but I don't know how to copy it here. Maybe someone else will do that for you! Blessings to you!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:02 pm

playschool wrote:I was thinking of using this with my 2nd grade dd as well as my 5th grade ds, who would also use the extensions. Besides the extra reading in the extensions what could be added to the history part of it to make it more on the level of 5th grade. I was thinking of having my dc do written narrations that go along with the history readings, but of course let my younger dc in 2nd grade just do the oral narrations as stated in the TM. Is there anything else that you did with your older dc to beef it up for them? Thanks!
The appendix of Bigger not only has a schedule for reading the Extensions (which extend both history and science for a 4th or 5th grader), but also has instructions for follow-ups for the Extensions: oral narrations twice a week, written narrations twice a week, and a notebooking page (drawing with caption) once a week. Of course you will want to use English and Math at the older child's level, using Rod and Staff 3 or 4 depending on how much formal grammar he has had (or your own English), and Singapore Math according to how he places on the placement test available on the Singapore Math website (or your own math).
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

LindaOz

Post by LindaOz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:39 pm

blessedmomof4 wrote:
playschool wrote:I was thinking of using this with my 2nd grade dd as well as my 5th grade ds, who would also use the extensions. Besides the extra reading in the extensions what could be added to the history part of it to make it more on the level of 5th grade. I was thinking of having my dc do written narrations that go along with the history readings, but of course let my younger dc in 2nd grade just do the oral narrations as stated in the TM. Is there anything else that you did with your older dc to beef it up for them? Thanks!
The appendix of Bigger not only has a schedule for reading the Extensions (which extend both history and science for a 4th or 5th grader), but also has instructions for follow-ups for the Extensions: oral narrations twice a week, written narrations twice a week, and a notebooking page (drawing with caption) once a week. Of course you will want to use English and Math at the older child's level, using Rod and Staff 3 or 4 depending on how much formal grammar he has had (or your own English), and Singapore Math according to how he places on the placement test available on the Singapore Math website (or your own math).
My 5th grader is doing Bigger with extensions and she is doing just what blessedmomof4 listed above - the extension readings, two orals narrations and two written based on her extra reading. I'm finding that to be fine.
Linda
Homeschooling in Australia with
Emily 16
Jessica 14
Bethany 12
Samantha 11
Erin 9
Luke 6
Alison 1

netpea

Post by netpea » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:44 pm

tnahid wrote:Just wanted to pop in and say that I plan to do my almost 8 and my 10 year old together in Bigger with extensions for the older son. So I am right there with you!
There is a thread where Carrie talks about making Bigger more independent, but I don't know how to copy it here. Maybe someone else will do that for you! Blessings to you!
I would like to see that thread too. If you know how to find it, you could copy the url and paste that in a reply. Do you know what to search for to find it?
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

playschool

Post by playschool » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks ladies! Do you all use a different science for the olders? Just wondering..

LindaOz

Post by LindaOz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:54 pm

playschool wrote:Thanks ladies! Do you all use a different science for the olders? Just wondering..
In the Appendix there is an extension book for science as well, starting off with Planet Earth by John Tiner. The older child does this in addition to the scheduled science. I think that my dd does need this extra science and she will start it when I find the book. I know I have it........somewhere in this house....... :?
Linda
Homeschooling in Australia with
Emily 16
Jessica 14
Bethany 12
Samantha 11
Erin 9
Luke 6
Alison 1

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:57 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6502&p=47428

Here is the link where Carrie gives tips for making Bigger more independent for an older child. Blessings!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

playschool

Post by playschool » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:03 pm

Thanks Tina! I'll check that out!