Can everyone share what they're reading for read-alouds?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Can everyone share what they're reading for read-alouds?

Post by my3sons » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:16 pm

I thought it would be fun to share what we're doing for read-alouds. I'm always looking to add new GOOD books to our reading list. We just finished Baby Island, and both of my boys LOVED it. What are you all reading?

My3Sons
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:34 pm

I am currently reading Fantastic Mr. Fox to my dd who is 5. It is great for her because it has pictures and short chapters. We should finish it this week so I look forward to seeing what others are reading so I can get some ideas.

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:45 pm

Great topic! We are currently on chapter 17 of In Grandma's Attic and all 3 are loving this book. I am getting great narrations with this one, plus the "moral of the story" is memorable.
We read a story each week from the James Herriot's Treasury for Children. Yes, we've read many of the stories way more than once. My kids LOVE this book.
I've been "test-driving" Among the Meadow People (from An Old Fashioned Education year 1) for extra science reading. I printed out about 10 stories. They're good stories, full of good moral, I'm just not sure my kids are "getting it". We'll probably set this aside and switch to Cornfield Babies by Rod and Staff. It's a sweet little nature book (I've already read it).
Our next in line book is Days on the Farm from Rod and Staff. This is a very sweet book full of character lessons and Godly principles. We read this book once about a year and a half ago, and they are begging to read it again.
As you can tell, I'm a big fan of Rod and Staff books! Every story has a lesson.
I usually have 2 read-alouds going at a time. :?: How many do you all have going at one time?
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm

We are currently reading "Who's New at the Zoo?" by Janette Oke My son loves anything about animals and this is short with at least one picture ever two pages which he still needs.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:28 pm

We just finished "Ben and Me" and "Mr. Revere and I" by Robert Lawson. My boys enjoyed both books (although "Mr. Revere and I" is quite a bit harder than "Ben and Me"). So that one was more for the older boys.

We are also close to the end of "Baby Island" and loving every minute of it. I remember that one fondly from my own childhood.

We usually have 2 read-alouds going on at once. One that the kids listen to on audio and one that I read aloud. The next audio read-aloud we're starting is "Stone Fox".

Blessings,
Carrie

2 time user LHTH
Using LHFHG for the 2nd time
Used BLHFG once
Using BHFHG now
Using DITHR for the 5th time

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:19 pm

Snow Treasure, by Marie McSwigan. I didn't think my girls would care for this book, published in 1942, but they are really enjoying it! :D

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:53 pm

Indian Captive the story of Mary Jamison.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

netpea

2 for us

Post by netpea » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:11 pm

We are currently reading Benjamin West and Gladys Aylward. My 7yo loves them both. My 5yo isn't interested in either but she plays in the room as we read so I had to censor the Gladys Aylward story a bit. I didn't feel comfortable reading the part about the execution in front of the 5yo so I just said that Gladys saw someone killed in the marketplace.

Not sure what we will start after we finish these two.

Lee Ann

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:22 pm

Lee Ann
did you know you can get mp3's of Gladys Aylward online.

You can all cosy up to the computer and hear her testimony in her own voice. The ones I have listened to are scratchy and sound old but it was facinating.
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/

netpea

No!

Post by netpea » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:40 pm

No I didn't but I will look into it. THANKS>

jamieswife

Post by jamieswife » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Lee Ann-

I bet you're reading from the "Christian Heroes: Then and Now" series! We have been reading those for several years now. I read aloud to the family every night. We are almost finished with the series and hope they (YWAM) puts out another soon. I have to edit occasionally as well...some stories more then others. Our family has gotten so much out of these nightly read aloud sessions and we have built some wonderful memories!
-Crystal in Alaska (using BLHFHG)
Wife to James, mom to Cody, Megan, Luke, Jesse, baby Gideon-born straight into the arms of Jesus and now our little Molly girl!

ds4home

Post by ds4home » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:47 pm

We are reading Twice Freed by Patricia St.John. We have enjoyed several of her stories.

Dawn
Mom to Amber (15), Carmen (12), Nathan (9), and Bethany (3)
Using Drawn into the Heart of Reading and Little Hands to Heaven