Science today was just to cute

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tansy

Science today was just to cute

Post by Tansy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:34 pm

My Dd decided before the experiment that things floated because they could swim. ROFL It was all I could do to not laugh out loud.

During the experiment she added a clam shell and watched it float tho it was heavier than the coin it floated.. Then it got joggled it filled with water and sank to the bottom..

She then looked at me and said "Mom its because the coin is solid it sinks." I was stunned!
Mind you I had not read the key idea, Lighter floats, heavier sinks... My bad.. But In a good way I think. Her brain began to work and she looked at me and said "The ball and shell float when they are hollow." And we took the ball a dog toy with squeaker and filled it with water.. it sank like a stone.. look at that Science at work..

Soooo when we got back to the book and we read light things float and heavy things sink.. That was when she said with a inqusitive look on her face. "Mom The Lexington is heavy but it doesn't sink, cause its hollow!" well after that remark we decided to use our own observations, soild things sink, hollow things float.. and I told her that was called buoyancy.

Today my kid is a genius... :wink:
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:36 am

:lol: Yay! I love it when they get it!!!!

Lee Ann

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:30 pm

My kids loved that activity as well. I, too, didn't read the key idea, but they figured it out. We also concluded that even a really heavy block will float b/c it's made of wood.
Mine didn't want to stop, they wanted to test anything that would fit in our bowl! Yikes!

We just did camouflage (unit 10) and how animals hide.......they're outside in camo shirts and pants thinking they can hide! :roll:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Candice

Post by Candice » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:42 pm

That is so cool!