Help with planning R&S for 14yr old

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rainbowacreshs

Help with planning R&S for 14yr old

Post by rainbowacreshs » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:00 am

First thanks ladies for helping me with my post a month or so ago!
Now I'm sitting here pondering what or how I should do R&S for the next couple years. DD is 14 and will be 15 come Nov. We were half a year behind completeling CTC due to family/medical issues and was forced to take it at a halfspeed. However, God's timing...showed me that this ended up being the best for dd as she really had time to grasp concepts that she has been struggling with for a long time. We've finished the meat of CTC back around January and have been working to tie up loose ends, like grammar and math. We already have RTR (1) sitting waiting to start in mid August. At this point though she is older by age, we plan to label her as 8th grade in the fall.
She is currently still woking with Building with Diligence and is on lesson 69. She has actually taken off and has been wanting to work independently with R&S 4, bringing completed work to me to review together. She's taken hold of the TM and has also begun to correct her own work, reworking anything she had done wrong. She'll bring the issues to me and we will walk through the lesson orally again until she gets it. I'm not sure if this something others do, but it seems to be an encouraging factor for my dd. I believe she's on the right track because I have been using the tests to gauge her.. she scores 85 or higher on her tests.
I've seen the suggested schedule for R&S, especially for the suggestions of which R&S to use for 9th grade. However, with her still in Building w/ Diligence... she won't actually do R&S 7 until...either 10th or 11th, if I stay the suggested track as written by the guides.
Now at this point I've had her continuing w/ R&S 4 with an idea to finish it by Aug, and begin R&S 5 at full speed (everyday) for RTR, then by Rev to Rev (9th grade) have her in R&S 6 (full speed-everyday), so that the next guide she'll be tenth grade doing R&S 7. Would this be good or would it be better to keep to the guides as written, and it would have her doing R&S 7 towards her 12th grade year?
I don't want to burn her out, especially as she is really gaining confidence and skill with grammatics and writing skills.
Suggestions?
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

pjdobro

Re: Help with planning R&S for 14yr old

Post by pjdobro » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:49 am

I'm no expert. We're only in R&S3, but I think your plan to finish 4 by fall and then doing 5 full-speed next year is a great one. I would think continuing R&S6 at full-speed the next year would be good too. I think you might just need to stop and re-evaluate after a year or so and see how it is going. If your daughter is still moving ahead and doing well, then you can continue at the current pace. If it gets overwhelming, you can slow down. You'll have 4 years to cover the last 3 R&S books so perhaps you can slow down a little along the way if needed. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks pj for your reply :D
I am wondering if anyone else has thoughts or comments on this ... still weighing out the options.. :?

Thanks.... :D
~Jasmine~

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 pm

going to bump this one more time ... still undecided would love others input ... :D
~Jasmine~

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:38 am

Your dd is making such great gains, and that is to be celebrated! It is important to remember that grammar is not really even required in high school, and I can assure you that the thorough coverage R & S English provides is well above what dc her age are learning grammar-wise in ps. :D I think I'd take a break, even if it's just a month after finishing R & S English 4, before beginning with R & S 5. There is something about celebrating for a bit! :D A month off does wonders for everyone included. After the break, dd can begin R & S English 5 full-speed, but I'd make sure to do quite a fair amount of it orally, and not add any extra practice/worksheets/tests. After she finished R & S English 5, I'd again take a break, at least a month or two. I would then begin R & S English 6, but probably at 3 times a week only. I honestly would continue with this pattern of 3 days a week until she finishes R & S English 6, then a break, then 3 days a week with R & S English 7, and just get as far as she gets. I would be comfortable with this with my own dc. This is a better education than I received in grammar, and I am now an editor. :wink: I think a full R & S English level every year will burn her out, and you too. This is a plan I think will work for the long haul, but you will know best here. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Thank you Julie...you really helped get that in focus for me.
I think what I'll do is go ahead and have her stop where she is now...and we will pick up again in September when we start Resurrection to Reformation, and just run w/ the schedule with the guide. We technically have until June 17th (our official 180th day mark). Right now I'll have her continue w/ math, DITHOR, twice a week work with WWTB until our last day of school..then take the whole summer off...break for everyone :D
One big reason is our third child will be welcomed Monday into this world via c-section ...taking next week and the following week off as a srping break and for healing and adjustments for new baby.
So I'm thinking the less school work we have to worry about for now the better. She'll just spend time this summer working on her math and encourage to read one book a month to keep her reading. I truly don't want her to burn out, but she's the type that should be doing a little something everyday. Her daddy plans on doing math w/ her for half an hour a so a night, (I'm encouraging him to do the oral route as well so she doesn't spend hours trying to work on 30 problems).
Again, thanks Julie..that relieves my wondering doubts..and helps solidify the plans towards highschool as well :) I will probably still do the tests though w/ the grammar as it will satisfy the requirements to document progression for the portfolio that our state requires us to keep.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8566 (plans towards highschool for my dd)

Thanks again.... I so love HOD. I can't wait to watch my youngest children grow with HOD. I truly wish I had found this earlier for my oldest dd.
Jasmine
~Jasmine~