Wondering about high school credit/tests/transcripts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Teena6

Wondering about high school credit/tests/transcripts

Post by Teena6 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:37 am

I posted this earlier this morning but left the subject blank by mistake and now I can't find it.

I will make it quick.

we have 3 that have graduated and all three were text book students.

Carrie or anyone .... for the high school years will there be tests or how do we count credits? Here in our state the local college wants to see a portfolio of their subjects they want tests. It is like our transcripts.

so how do you count credits or .... do the college prep.

I see with Rev to Rev. the science is physical science and that is high school prep.

any advice?

if this has been discussed then maybe someone can show me the link :)

thanks!
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)

lharris

Re: Wondering about high school credit/tests/transcripts

Post by lharris » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:04 pm

You can count credit by "content" did they finish a course designed for high school semester? and/or you can count content in conjunction with time. In many states, they use a Carnegie Credit which is 120 hours of instruction for a full year course. Indiana's law for public education lists a high school credit equals 75 hours of instruction (our state recognizes 1 semester as 1 credit (1/2 carnegie)) I advise moms to look at BOTH content and time. If you rush through a course book and complete it, but only put in 40 hours of instruction, then something's off-kilter. I had a student (dau friend) that I was homeschooling for a year that tried to do that. Be aware of unit studies (not HOD) that offer a program that says its worthy of 3 credits (usually Bible, History, LA) -- it should take the child close to 12.5 hours per week to work through the material to earn 3 credits (apx 4.16 hours a week for each subject). If after looking through it, you really cannot see working on the material for that long, chances are it doesn't really warrant the full 3 credits. I have found this to be the case on some unit studies I've reviewed. I hope this helps, I find it easy to estimate time spent in a subject with HOD -- I look at her boxes and I know about how much time we spend, then multiply it by the occurances for the semester. It will give you a great estimate on your time. Then when you decide the child has completed the credit, title your course, list it with a semester grade, and record and describe curriculum used for that course and your done!
Laura
Children's & HS Librarian
Classical Ed., HOD, ds LHTH-BHFHG

Pray for the strength of our moms and dads, pray for the Lord's continued rescuing of His children -- His Exodus. May the the Lord's peace and presence be felt in your loving homes!

KimS

Post by KimS » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:42 pm

I put an answer to you on the other board so go look at that. I think it would be pretty easy.

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:12 pm

yes... I understand about the credit hrs...

haven't went that way with my 3 children that have graduated. Done a boxed video curriculum... for them.

Alyssa is different. LOVES the charolette mason type stuff...

Carrie... will the older levels have tests? Did I ask that already? :oops:

just trying to find what will work for her in high school. she will be 8th this year coming up...

our local college wants a portfolio of the students work. Plus SAT scores. My son will start there this fall. He has been accepted.

so just wondering how HOD will be for high school. :)
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:20 pm

My ds graduates in June. We did a more CM approach for high school in some subjects. His college wants ACT scores (we're Midwest) and a transcript that describes the content of each subject. Taking tests throughout high school isn't necessary. A portfolio shouldn't have to have tests- just an overall sample of his work. Many students use a full CM approach or even unschool and still do what is necessary for college entrance. I'm sure you could find samples on Google.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:41 pm

HOD has dc compile a portfolio of their work every year. :D This is usually within a 3-ring binder with page protectors and tabs. In CTC on up, Student Notebooking pages are provided, thus upping the work (and the look) of the portfolio appropriately. :D Both Carrie and I had to compile portfolios for our master's program, and portfolio-based assessment was a topic covered extensively within our master's program. Knowing portfolios were (and continue to be) the new form of assessment for many high schools, colleges, and upper graduate work, we decided to include them in HOD all along the way. :) As far as counting credits, HOD will be explaining that thoroughly in its high school guides. HOD has plans in the works for this in the future. :wink: If dc do CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, Modern Times guide (yet to be written) for high school instead of HOD's high school guides, these posts will be helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8208

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240

Ways to beef up CTC for high school:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5400

DITHOR Titles for High School:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7765&p=56997#p56997

Does that help? Hope so!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:02 pm

Thanks Julie. :)

yes it helps lots.

our local college here wants tests in the portfolio... thats all they want :(

going to look at your links......
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL

TLCA

Post by TLCA » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:19 am

Teena6 wrote: our local college here wants tests in the portfolio... thats all they want :(
Just brainstorming with you........
Can the tests be short answer or essay? CM gave term exams that were open ended short answer/essay style (and an extension of oral and written narration); and perhaps you could do something similar based upon a period of study in HOD (per 9 weeks, 12 weeks or semester). I don't have the older HOD guides, but perhaps there are even HOD assignments that you could use as this sort of "test" and put that in the portfolio? It might take an extra step or two of recopying in a different format, or typing answers into the computer and formatting the page to clearly be an essay or short answers to questions, but perhaps that is a solution ? ? ? :) Maybe even combining several assignments over time into one complete essay or compile into short answer format?

Or perhaps you could create a few open ended questions at the end of each period for her to answer and file that? There are example CM exam questions online. If you'd like a link, please PM me and I'll be glad to link you to some.
-Kim
CTC w/DD 10
Our Homeschool Blog

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:28 am

TLCA wrote:... CM gave term exams that were open ended short answer/essay style (and an extension of oral and written narration); and perhaps you could do something similar based upon a period of study in HOD...
Plans are in the works to possibly have this be a part of assessment within HOD's high school guides in some form. :D We are excited about this possible form of assessment as it is a natural progression from what HOD has been doing already. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:40 pm

TLCA wrote:
Teena6 wrote: our local college here wants tests in the portfolio... thats all they want :(
Just brainstorming with you........
Can the tests be short answer or essay? CM gave term exams that were open ended short answer/essay style (and an extension of oral and written narration); and perhaps you could do something similar based upon a period of study in HOD (per 9 weeks, 12 weeks or semester). I don't have the older HOD guides, but perhaps there are even HOD assignments that you could use as this sort of "test" and put that in the portfolio? It might take an extra step or two of recopying in a different format, or typing answers into the computer and formatting the page to clearly be an essay or short answers to questions, but perhaps that is a solution ? ? ? :) Maybe even combining several assignments over time into one complete essay or compile into short answer format?

Or perhaps you could create a few open ended questions at the end of each period for her to answer and file that? There are example CM exam questions online. If you'd like a link, please PM me and I'll be glad to link you to some.
My hubby wanted some kind of "test" or evaluation to make sure our dd was learning her HOD lessons well, so I made up a "Final Exam" using the "Key Ideas" from the boxes. Some is multiple choice, some fill-in-the-blank, etc. I plan to go over everything with her before to make sure she is getting the main ideas, and then testing in a few weeks when we finish the CTC guide.
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Never thanked you! Thanks so much. :)
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL