placement help, feel led back to HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momofone

placement help, feel led back to HOD

Post by momofone » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:04 am

:D

I know many of you won't remember me. I have been around the world with curriculum and now back to HOD. Truth is, I have wanted to leave textbooks (at least some) and the only one I can feel "safe" enough to use is HOD. :wink: What time I've spent with Sonlight has burned me out and I don't feel very accountable with SL.

Anyway, long story, let's move on to helping me choose. I have looked at the placement chart carefully. DS is almost 10 (19th of this month) and he has used mainly 3rd grade material this year. His math is what gives him the most trouble! :roll: We are using MUS and it seems to work very well for him for now. However, he has worked in the Abeka Lang. 3 book and has some of it to finish. That has gone pretty well. He does o.k. with spelling, but needs to practice some of the spelling rules a little more. We are still working on cursive, he still writes his letters rather large, but legible. He has read lots of books this year like: A Question of Yams (BJU book), Riding the Pony Express, The Secret Valley, many of the SL language arts 2 intermediate books. He has read lots more, but mainly around 3-4th grade level types. Non-fiction is his main issue. Believe it or not, he does not care for anything like The Littles :? He is really into science and wants those kinds of books to read. I try to use those, but also want him to branch out, Kwim?
History, has been a mix of some of Abeka history 3 and some of the Sonlight core 1&2 books. He loves the ancients and that puts me in a spot for choosing!

I feel like he fits somewhere in between Bigger and Preparing. I'm leaning toward Bigger with maybe pulling in some of the extensions. I don't think BJU English 3 would be a problem at all. The diagramming will take some time, but he usually does rather well with English. However, with his interest in ancients and etc. preparing might be an option??? :? So, what would you pick??? Also, he is on the hyper side of life. :lol: A wiggly little boy, but dad says he's just "all boy". He's more like the "class clown" type, so go figure. :roll:

Anxious to hear from you all!
momofone

Gwenny

Re: placement help, feel led back to HOD

Post by Gwenny » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:22 am

Welcome back! Before I got to the part in your post where you said which guides you were considering, I already knew what I thought. Bigger sounds like your perfect match. I think one of my daughters is right where your son is and Bigger is great for her, definitely not too easy, challenging but not overwhelming and it's teaching her incredible skills to be able to move on to Preparing.

Blessings,
Nancy
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

KTLM6

Post by KTLM6 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 am

Welcome back! I also think Bigger would be the best. I started HOD with Preparing with my dd after using other methods and a more traditional approach. It was the wrong placement and I ended up dropping the program for a year. The interest in ancients is great, but if the skills are too advanced, you both will only end up frustrated. There is a nice mix of books in Bigger, and if you add in DITHOR, the two of you could choose books together from each genre that he'll love! If you do happen to find that he isn't being challenged enough, you can always add the extensions. The skills in Bigger prepare the child for the skills needed in Preparing.
Cathy

Is using CTC and is enjoying LHTH

http://homemissionfield.blogspot.com/

momofone

Post by momofone » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:28 am

Thanks so much Nancy and Cathy for your help! :D That's one thing I remember from this board, everyone here is soooo supportive!

I am starting to agree about the Bigger. I'm ashamed to say that I've bought this before, sold it, moved on and now back around. :roll: I already have several of the books that I wouldn't part with. This would also be better for me financially, as I wouldn't have to buy so many other books in a new program. :wink:
DITHOR also sounds good for us.

Thanks again!!
momofone

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:22 am

just wanted to say Hi. I have been around and coming back to HOD too.... sort of .

My 3 oldest children were text book students.

These last 3.... 13, 9, 7... totally different.

My 13 yr old did Bigger a few years ago. It was the first one I bought for her. She will be 14 in August but she is 7th grade and will be 8th then. She loved it... retained it and loved how it was LIVING books.

not sure where I will put her ... this year coming up.

My boys 9 & 7 are in Beyond. I did LHFHG... took a half of yr off and they kept asking for the book "mom, when will we do that big book with the music and reading.... and fun stuff?" So I bought Beyond. We are not near finished. I already have
Bigger. The 9 yr old just turned 9 and the 7 yr old will be 8 in July. So I do them both together.

not sure I answered any of your questions.... but wanted to tell you that I came back too... and I LOVE Bigger.
:o
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:47 am

Welcome back :) Just wanted to say hi and also agree with Bigger as the best placement for your ds, based on what you shared. He will get a great foundation in CM skills and a fun year. I'm also "back"-a few years ago I stopped Bigger about 13 weeks short of the end due to "life" and put my younger girls in ps. Last year I brought my youngest back home mid-year and did Preparing, and this year I brought home my just-turned-13-year-old mid-year and we are finishing the left-over weeks of Bigger wiht Extensions. It seemed like I needed to go back that far for some reconnecting and refreshing for my 13-year-old. She was not happy to leave ps, but I saw some negative influence. Doing the last half of Bigger with her has reminded her that learning can be fun, and that mom is a pretty good teacher :) The youngest girl was happier to come home, as she had some trouble in ps with a very negative teacher :( She has been blossoming since being back home.
Soon we will be doing CTC, and I am happy to say that even my 13 year old has been looking at the books and getting eager to start. The 11 year old has already "laid claim" to some of the books for CTC, saying, "May I keep these on my shelf when we are done with the curriculum?" My 13 year old said to me about the Eggleston Books for Bigger, "Oh I like those books :shock: LOL, in all my years of homeschooling, HOD is THE only curriculum that any of my kids have wanted to KEEP :D
Anyway, just sharing your joy at being back :D
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

momofone

Post by momofone » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks for the continued help! :D
I have contemplated HOD for the last two years, this last year trying to "fit" my son into Bigger. :roll: However, he was just not ready and he does have some math issues that have kind of taken over our time. We are moving along with MUS at the moment and doing fine with that. I feel sure he has ADHD without having done any formal tests. However, I am just trying to meet him where he is with curriculum and skills. This is hard for me and I could really use your prayers. We don't wish to medicate as I don't think the hyperness is extreme, but still somewhat of a problem.

I think we just need to order Bigger and we will use everything except we will use MUS. Even though he's turning 10 this month, I think we will try Bigger without extensions and add in if we feel necessary. I'm sure we'll start with Bigger spelling lists and not sure when to begin dictation??? Maybe, some of you can guide me on that one. :wink: Also, he should be able to handle R&S English 3. He is far along with Abeka lang. 3 right now and I don't think he'll have a problem with that.

Not sure if we'll start now or wait for a fresh start in July (when I start our year after a short summer break). I do so appreciate all of the help I'm receiving! :D Thanks!!

momofone

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:25 am

Bigger offers one spelling list and one level of studied dictation. When he is done with the spelling list, you begin dictation. Simple :) If he needs to do the entire spelling list, it will take him all of Bigger Hearts to finish it, and then he will just begin dictation when he starts Preparing (which has 3 levels of dictation to choose from).
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

momofone

Post by momofone » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks so much Lourdes. :D That was the info I was needing.
I already own several of the Bigger books, just not the economy pkg., so this should help me along. I'm feeling great about this already!! :D

momofone

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Hooray, hooray - a wonderful plan is coming together!!! :D All that's left for me to say is - you're set! I agree with all you just said... Bigger Hearts... R & S English 3 (doing 2/3 of it orally or on markerboard, reserving around 1/3 of it to be written), DITHOR 2/3 with whatever books or DITHOR book pack fits ds well... Spelling List 1 with LA daily box of plans matching it... MUS for math... sounds like a winner! I'm glad you're back - you have a good year ahead of you!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:29 pm

momofone,

Welcome back! :D We're glad to see you here! The ladies have already done such a great of job of talking through your options with you. :D I pray you will enjoy Bigger Hearts. We are doing it now with our third little guy, and he has grown up so much with it already! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

momofone

Post by momofone » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Oh, thanks sooo very much for the tips and encouraging words from everyone! :D I hope to be able to get this soon and do some planning! :D

Thanks again!
momofone