A way to help prevent wear and tear

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
familymgrkendra

A way to help prevent wear and tear

Post by familymgrkendra » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:49 pm

I am very excited about getting started with LHFHG which we just got this week. We are starting on Monday.

Tomorrow I am going to take some time and wrap the books, teachers manual and anything that is non comsumable in clear contact paper. This will protect the books from wear and tear and spillage. I have done this with other books of mine and it totally works. One of my boys tried to tear a book cover that was covered in contact paper and it wouldn't tear on him. We have 3 DS so we are going to use this program for 3 yrs in a row, so this will be a wise investment to prevent wear and tear!!

Just thought I would pass along a suggestion!
Kendra Neal
Frugal Family Manager to:
DH-Harlin
Joshua 6yrs, Nathan 4yrs, Daniel 3yrs

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:11 pm

That sounds like a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I hope you enjoy LHFHG. I am on week 8 w/ my 5 y/o dd and she is enjoying it and doing very well.

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:15 pm

Great idea Kendra. I'm going to try it, even though I already took mine took a print shop and had it spiral bound, I think it will still work on the covers. (I have a thing about books lying flat.) I'll let you know how it works.

I would love to see your blog. Could you post your site address? I don't blog, but like to read others every once in while. There are some great ideas out there and I love it when others share their knowledge!

We are LOVING LHFHG. I'm excited for you to start!
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:45 pm

My library does that and I've always wondered if it was worth it! thanks for the input!
I've taken some of my books and had the binding cut off, and then 3-hole-punched and put it in a binder. That way I can take out what i need for the week and put it in my "master binder" that has everyone's weekly answers, assignments, etc in it. It's also a lot easier to take just the one page I need to copy to the copier (like the alphabet pages in Little Hands)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:51 pm

I have mixed feelings.. I worked my way though college in a library.
I love books :)
Contact paper will probably do just fine... if you only want to keep the book for a few years.. but if you do a quick internet search on "book jacket covers" you can find lots of high quality not terribly expensive book covers that will keep your books in great condition for a very very long time.

The adhesives in contact paper is supposed to go on kitchen shelves... Why not invest in a roll book covers that will last you forever, an is designed to go on books? My sister did and all her soft cover books are now "durable" she has 2 boys and another in the cooker.

My experiance is...
My dd has smeared honey, jam, splattered juice, water, milk ect.. on our "not covered" little hearts and beyond. both wiped clean with a wet wash cloth and were none the worse for wear.. I caught all the spills quickly, tho she never tried ripping them... no.. not in this house that is a No no!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

netpea

Hmmm, I don't know

Post by netpea » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:27 am

I am just not comfortable doing anything to my books... :roll: Even though its my book, it just doesn't feel right.

:D on a good note, my Little Hands to Heaven book has been used twice and it looks very nice...

Lee Ann

Busymomma1

Flat book

Post by Busymomma1 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:39 pm

Someone talked about books lying flat! What I do is put my LHFHG book in a cookbook holder on my kitchen counter, and then I can just glance over at it while the kids are working at the table.

Just an idea that works for us!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)