high schooling rev to rev..is my planning good?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rainbowacreshs

high schooling rev to rev..is my planning good?

Post by rainbowacreshs » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:03 am

Ok.. more of those already probably answered questions..but anyone please help w/ my poor fogged mind.

We have begun to plan for our oldest dd highschool journey. Her daddy and I are thrilled to learn that highschool guides will be written. Sadly I don't think we will be able to use the last two guides.

Our current plans :

8th grade Resurrection to Reformation
Math pre-algebra

9th grade: Revival to Revolution (with extensions)
the history would be considered 1/2 credit towards US History
English credit would be accomplished with R&S 7, TEWCW, and DITHOR
Science --credit as written using the advanced log book
Math Algebra I
Would the Bible study in Rev to Rev be considered .25 or .5 of a credit towards a credit and how would I list it? as an elective or another history/social science?

Would like to use the Music Appreciation in Rev to Rev as an elective as well ..but would I need to add anything to it to make it credit worthy?

Will be adding in our own Government course for 9th (with Economics added to Modern Times for 10th grade).
Will also be adding in a Computer Science (Basic Keyboarding probably) for that required credit for our state.
That would be 7 subjects over 1 school year.

10th grade: Modern Times (with extensions)
the other 1/2 credit towards US History
English creit would be accomplished w/ possible 2nd half of R&S 7, and probably the programs recommended for Modern Times
Science? pending on what course may have to add too or do something different.. would I be able to count it as a lab science?
Then other electives...

This is as far as I have gotten with planning....
Sugestions comments advice???? Help please
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

8arrows

Re: high schooling rev to rev..is my planning good?

Post by 8arrows » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:50 am

Your plan looks similar to mine. We are using pre-algebra and RTR for our 8th grade daughter as well and plan to progress through the guides as you are. I am going to use the extensions and give a full credit for each year of history. I will include the government in one of those credits. (I think.) To gain a Bible credit Carrie suggested having them read through a protion of the Bible with Balancing the Sword in addition to what is in the guide. When you get to 9th grade, their is a list somewhere on here of great literature suggestions to use with DITHOR. I will look and see if I can find it. I think your planning looks great, but then again, it is very similar to mine........ Melissa

Try looking at Carrie's post here for DITHOR high school:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7765&p=56997&hilit= ... eld#p56997
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:17 pm

Gals, I have the same situation, so I really appreciate your thoughts. I think I'm way behind on this planning for high school thing. I am just figuring out how to do credits, etc. I'd love to hear what you are planning to use for Gov. and Econ., etc. My dd (13) will be on the exact same plan. How do you know if you can give 1 credit or 1/2 credit for History, etc.?
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:17 pm

I want to understand the credit vs half-credit thing too. I thought one year of study = 1 credit if it is done both semesters. Are you thinking that because it is only 1/2 of the American History story that it has to be 1/2 credit? I would love for you to elaborate as I am just not starting to plan this high school thing (ds starts 7th next fall).
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Carrie gave a great answer to making Rev to Rev credit worthy. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8208 Just thought I would list it for you to check your plans against in case you have not yet seen it. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Thanks to WatertoWine...
that does help..
with our state requirements (SC) and the fact dd is headed more on a community college track (possibly going straight into work after volunteering in the field she wants) I think we are definitely falling into that little more leeway category. She seems to fall into more of general education classification vs college prep track.

I definitely am glad that after reviewing that link, I feel confident that we can award a whole credit for US History, using the extensions and the guide as written. I'll be adding in our own Government course for dd to work on through the school year to give her her .5 required credit for US Government, and will likely do the same w/ an Economics course for Modern Times.
Bible I think I'll will use as written and just award a half credit per year so it will amount to 2 full credits at the end of her 12th grade year.
Im not wanting to add any more than necessary to the guides...
I will follow up w/ beefing up the composer studies to get that 1/2 credit for music appreciation.

I still welcome more ideas or suggestions.... oh did I say How much I love HOD?
Thank you ladies for your support. :wink: :D
~Jasmine~

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks for that link. I had just been poring over that earlier. Wow - can I just say how incredibly blessed I feel to have this kind of guidance and help at my fingertips? I really am overwhelmed at God's goodness in showing me how to get through these high school years. While I LOVE learning, I am not one of those who feel qualified to plan out a high school course at all. So, I am beyond thankful for Carrie's guidance and wisdom as well as all of the others who are on here helping to point the way. THANK YOU! I am super excited at what the future holds for our high school adventures!
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:19 pm

We're on an almost similar path!

Here's what I have planned (God-willing, of course!!) :)

8th (current)
CTC with extensions
DITHOR 6/7/8

9th
RTR with extensions
finish DITHOR 6/7/8

10th
Rev.to Rev with extensions

11th
Modern Times with extensions (or high school guide if available)

12th
Geography guide (which Carrie said will be high school credit-worthy)
Abeka Government and Economics (1 semester each)

I was also thinking, for those of us who will probably have kids too old to get to the actual high school guides before they are written, to use Carrie's "beefing up" suggestions--OR, possibly considering adding in an Abeka (or similar) grade level history textbook as a "reference" to use with HOD. That way it would be "officially" on grade level, but you are still using HOD as your main (spine) curriculum.
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:22 am

WEll! The other day I took time to call the local communtiy/technical college that we are planning for our dd to eventually attend. I have to say it helped a lot to talk to the admissions advisor. He answered questions about what TTC was looking for in particular from a graduating homeschooler (yes I know we are still about 5 - 6 yrs away, but planning now doesn't hurt). For our dd the main requirement would be a highschool diploma (which would be given by me and signed off on by my homeschool association director). Credit hours and transcript wouldn't count so much as they would rather look at either of these three options... ACT, SAT, or their entrance placement scores, for placement in classes. This helps tremendously in planning the next four years. Its helped to realize that my original plan can work as each year the history can be counted as a whole credit without a lot of beefing up. I can aim to have dd achieve our states recommendation of 24 credit hours (our homeschool association also suggests 24 credit hours but it is not required). I still will need to comply and teach the basic required courses as stated by our homeschool laws, but I don't have to go all freaky if she doesn't get to the say Trigonometry...instead I could have her do a consumer math and it would count. I don't have to stress over her having to do the higher math and still meet her on her reading level, all the while encouraging to reach higher, but without the worry of having to meet the College Prep track. It may end up being a mix of some college prep type courses mixed with a more general/basic type courses. Oh how I thank God for the beautiful privelege of homeschooling. Now, after using CTC, I am again praising God for this curriculum line, because I truly believe that for my dd, it will be the best track for her for her remainder of her homeschool scholastic years.
I just had share :)
~Jasmine~

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:25 am

I think Jasmine has a really good point. No matter what you do hsing you are going to probably want to "validate" your hsing experience with SAT or ACT, and or AP tests and or CLEP testing. Not that you would need to do all that but what applies best to your goals something on there to validate yes this child can make it in the real world, or their real world, hahahaha! And it is very interesting to look at say the SAT and see what subjects are on there. If you take a look you might notice history is completely missing. :shock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT#Structure Not that history is not important. I think it is very important especially taught through the lens of seeing God's hand in it. But I have to wonder if it is not on the test that a lot of colleges use how important is it that it get taught a certain way as long as it is all covered. :D

Just looking at your guys plans and thinking on my own. One thing I do add to HOD for higher level is Bible. I do that because to me that is the most important thing no matter what any test or college says, in 6 years I will perhaps have no control over that so now is to develop that habit. :wink: Also looking at how the guides go you can definitely see that HOD has the goal of upping that more independent and yet God dependent Bible time to build intimacy with God so I want to follow that pattern. And just looking at what is a credit and the definition being 120 hours and so therefore 1/2 would be 60 hours. So that comes to be close to 30 minutes 4x a week on that subject. If you feel like they are getting that amount on study on Bible then you are set. But definitely you could probably get 1/4 credit out of HOD Bible. :D I have this way of looking at it and this is how I gauge it. If you take your total time you spend on school and looked at Bible time as a tithe of how you teach your kids completely about God then our 4.5 hours that we have to spend that would be 45 minutes of Bible. So I tend to not look at it as a credit area although I will award credit. Also there is the thought that if you do HOD only Bible but you are not likely to hit what HOD will have them doing for that age level in Bible just due to the natural progression of the guides. Of course hitting the numbers and requirements you might be just fine over the course of 4 years I would think you could get at least a full credit, maybe more depending on how future guides are written. So just something everyone needs to decide on their own. Just thought I would share that since it is one area I look at deeply for 'is this enough for high school level'. I find HOD is always the perfect platform for more in the way of Bible. I am always inspired to dig a little deeper anyway. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)