Nature Walks

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Dorla

Nature Walks

Post by Dorla » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:32 pm

Just wondering...
Do any of you add nature walks/nature study to your daily "school?"
One thing that is exciting about LHFHG is that we have enough time to enjoy the outdoors for a walk or even have outdoor school.
This morning instead of starting school right away we went on a nature walk and enjoyed the crisp autumn weather. Even though everything is still green in Texas, the cool 50 degrees was a welcome change!
Dorla
Keene, Texas

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:39 pm

I don't do it to "daily" school but I do add them in every vacation or weekend camping trip.
For example I took the "one small square of sea shore" to our beach vacation. We were able to use the book and read it though several times. We Identified birds, seaweed and crabs from it. My s-i-l loved it and "barrowed it to read to her kids.

Its hard spotting Nature in the suburbia we live in.. they have made it so clean and tidy. No dead logs to rollover or even rocks to look under. sigh... God was kind to me he sent me a frog and it now is living in my tiny back yard pond (50 gallon)... And we raised butterflies this summer, it was the only way to save my sunflowers from total destruction... does that count or am I way off?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Dorla

Nature Walks

Post by Dorla » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:32 am

Nice! I think you have done an excellent job with bringing nature to your backyard!
Don't you just love those One Small Square books? On our last camping trip I took Woods and I learned a lot. My 5 year old thinks I know sooo much, and it was because I kept referring to this little book.
Greetings to your backyard frog...I love frogs...
Dorla

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:59 am

We do add quite a bit of nature study to our "school". My kids each have their own nature journals and we try to be outside every day weather permits. We have had many "pets" (crickets, caterpillars, frogs, turtles, snakes-twice :shock: , and I'm sure I'm forgetting some) in addition to our regular farm animals. BTW, all of our "pets" are on the 24 hour catch and release program! :wink:

We don't get out as much when it's super cold or super hot, but this time of year.....perfect!! My kids played outside this morning while I was making breakfast (long story about a opossum.....and our dog....picture two wild-west gunslingers having a stand-off.....opossum lost...) We may have to study opossums today. :lol:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:28 pm

How long are you outdoors? I have a hard time not fidgeting while outdoors with my 5 year old. He wants to play, imagine, build, chase the cat, etc. and after an hour I want to go back inside! I know this is what he needs right now and I am trying to find a way to relax and enjoy...any suggestions?

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:41 pm

When my kiddos were small and needed supervision, I always took a book or magazine out with me and read while they played. My kids all play out by themselves now and just come get me if needed. I do sometimes still go out with them, but never without something to read!
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:04 pm

Will have to plan better for tomorrow!
Dorla

joyful jean

Post by joyful jean » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:32 am

Melanie wrote: BTW, all of our "pets" are on the 24 hour catch and release program! :wink:
:D Ha! Us too!

The best adult nature study book I read was called "Pocketful of Pinecones" by Karen Andreola. It is a fictional book about a homeschooling mom who starts a nature journal. She basically tells you how to start your own nature journal.

We have started ours but have gotten away from it, thanks to you guys I think I will have them pull them out today after lunch. We have so many different things in our journals from frogs to bugs to mushrooms to birds. We always take a picture of it paste it in their journal, draw the subject paste that in their journal, then research the item.....Oh what we have learned! Luna moths have no mouths, Diving Beetles are carnivorous, american toad is our only toad in MI, walking sticks were soooo interesting, and on and on. I need to get back to doing this, it was so fun!
God Blesses Every Day, it is up to us to notice!

wife for almost 14 years to my best friend
ds #1 age 7 Second year using Beyond little hearts for His Glory
ds #2 age 5 Little Hearts for His Glory
also used Little Hands to Heaven