CTC - Apologia Land Animals - notebook pages?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
arstephia

CTC - Apologia Land Animals - notebook pages?

Post by arstephia » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:25 pm

I have a question about the Apologia Land Animals portion of CTC. Apologia has on their website the free notebooking pages that go along with that text. I saw for instance the Unit 4 Day 4 cougar/deer activity they have the printable cards for the cougar and deer and then the generation graph/report sheet. I just wondered if anyone used any of their notebooking pages in their HOD science binders. (I have not read all the way through my CTC guide or gotten to look at the CTC notebooking pages (are the full color pages just for history?), so I don't know how the science notebooking is being set up and done in CTC.) I guess I also wondered if the additonal Apologia pages would help extend the Land Animals book for an older child.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

kayben

Re: CTC - Apologia Land Animals - notebook pages?

Post by kayben » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:03 pm

My son did CTC last year. The notebook pages are amazing, but yes they are for History. That being said however, they have you create a science notebook. The way HOD has you move through the Apologia book is very set and clear in the guide. There really would be no need for additional materials, although I suppose as you go along you may print something off to use, but I don't think you will find the need to add in anything else. WE LOVED CTC. Enjoy! MY son devoured this book. He was in 6th grade and thought the science was fabulous. He constantly read me info and found great interest in it. We did some of the medical reading together as he gets a little squeamish:) He found it facinating yet nausiating all at the same time:) Enjoy!
Rebecca
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

my3sons

Re: CTC - Apologia Land Animals - notebook pages?

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:12 pm

We used CTC last year as well, and I agree with the pp. :D The science box is independent in CTC, so it is written with specific step-by-step directions for students be able to complete science happily and successfully on their own. My ds was able to do this virtually every single day last year with CTC (and also is this year with RTR). :D He learned so much by being in the driver's seat with following directions, setting up and conducting his own experiments, and completing his own lab sheets. He LOVED doing science! :D We have found in the past that any non-routine way of getting on the computer for resources has potential problems and frustrations lurking. :shock: I was relieved not to have to mess with it in all honesty, and I don't think we missed a thing. The notebooking pages and lab sheets my ds completed in HOD were matched specifically to what he was learning within the CTC guide overall, and they provided a great way to see if he understood what he read - there is no way to make up answers when things are open-ended. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie