Carrie: high school guide questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
avbprincess

Carrie: high school guide questions

Post by avbprincess » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:08 pm

This is a spinoff of a recent high school questions thread. Carrie, you wrote:
Carrie wrote:One thing that I will share is that our plan for our own son who is in 9th grade in high school right now is for him to do geography in grade 9, a one-year overview of world history in grade 10, the first half of American history with government in grade 11 (similar in time frame to what is going to be within Rev. to Rev.), and the last portion of American history with economics from approximately 1900 forward in grade 12 (simlar in time frame to what is going to be within the guide to come after Rev. to Rev.). :D Should we end up writing guides for high school, this is likely the scope and sequence we would follow, allowing families to choose whether to use our younger guides and beef them up to get their credits, or whether to start the geography guide in high school and follow that plan forward instead with no beefing up. Either way would work, depending on the family goals, because in the end you'd want one credit of American history, one credit of world history, one credit of geography, 1/2 credit of government, 1/2 credit of economics. :D
So, I plan on using LHFHG for Kindergarten and working through a guide per year, so my DS should complete the geography guide in 8th. Assuming the high school guides get written following the plan you wrote above, and my DS does world history in 9th, the first 1/2 of American history in 10th, and the second 1/2 of American history in 11th, what would we do for 12th? Would there be another guide written for 12th?

Also, I was wondering if the high school guides would be written for 4 or 5 days per week, as some people may need the extra hours of 5 days per week to fulfill credit requirements (we wouldn't, but I'm curious).
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000
DS 16 - US1
HODers from the beginning

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Carrie: high school guide questions

Post by Carrie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 am

Deanna,

We're still in prayer over whether to write high school level guides or not, so I'm not able to truly answer the questions you mentioned right now. :D I will say that we do often find that somewhere between kindergarten and 8th grade families often end up not completing a full guide in a year and needing the extra year for things to even out. This is often due to family circumstances, moving, pregnancies, or a child needing to go at a slower pace. :D We find it takes some of the pressure off for families to know they have a year of breathing room if needed!

If that isn't the case, and your family did end up using the geography guide for 8th grade, you could either just do the geography guide in 8th grade and then teach through the "possibly" forthcoming history cycle in high school. If you did that you would then need the 12th grade year to do geography, as it is needed for high school credit (which cannot be carried over from middle school). Or, another option would be to add some additional projects that would allow you to do the geography guide for 8th grade but complete it in the first part of 9th grade. We have pondered possibly adding something like this to the geography guide in an extension capacity. This would allow you to list the geography guide for credit as a 9th grader, while completing much of it in 8th grade, and then continue on with the history cycle throughout high school. :D

Anyway, these are just thoughts. :D

Blessings,
Carrie