Carrie - need help with high school question:

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tree House Academy

Carrie - need help with high school question:

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:13 pm

My older ds is finishing CTC this year in 6th grade. That means he will do RTR as a 7th grader and Rev to Rev as an 8th grader. Will I be able to use the Modern guide in 9th grade for high school credit without adjusting anything or will I have to make alterations to be able to use it in that grade? I so wish we had started HOD just ONE YEAR earlier! :(

While I am at it, let me ask this too:

My younger ds will do it this way:

1st - Little Hearts
2nd - Beyond Little Hearts
3rd - Bigger
4th - Preparing
5th - CTC
6th - RTR
7th - Rev to Rev
8th - Modern
9th - Geog Guide?

My 2nd question: Is the geog guide simply meant as a bridge between 7th and highschool for those who started Little Hearts in Kindergarten? Or is it meant for the first year of Highschool? If it is meant for hs too, then the same question as above...will it be enough for credit on its own, or will it need to be adjusted for 9th/10th grade?
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Carrie - need help with high school question:

Post by Carrie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Rebecca,

These are good questions! :D Since we do not have the Modern Times guide written as of yet, I can't fully answer your question on high school credit for that guide. However, at this point I would think the guide would be fairly easy to make credit worthy in most areas. We will definitely be keeping this in mind as we write it. :D It is our intention for the history portion to be credit worthy. The Bible portion would also be easily able to be credit worthy, with a bit of additional Bible reading added each day, as we intend at this juncture to schedule AIG's Pilgrim's Progress within the guide and also are looking to schedule Beyond Beautiful Girlhood for girls and Practical Happiness for boys. :D The literature portion could be credit worthy through Drawn into the Heart of Reading for 9th grade if desired (with high school level lit.), along with Rod and Staff grammar, dictation, and whatever writing program we end up scheduling. :D

The science portion may need some beefing up, however we are going to be covering an introduction to physics/chemistry (which often is listed as Integrated Physics/Chemistry on a high school transcript). Until we have more fully nailed down our resources for science, I won't know for sure. Whether the science is "enough" will also be dependent on your child's long-term plans, as to how much science he will need in preparation for any future degree. :wink:

The math will include an Algebra I option, so depending on where your child is at for math it will be credit worthy, but it is possible that your child may need Algebra II if you decided to do Algebra I early. :D Anyway, that may help give you a fuller picture of what is ahead and how easily you'll be able to use it for high school credit.

One thing that I will share is that our plan for our own son who is in 9th grade in high school right now is for him to do geography in grade 9, a one-year overview of world history in grade 10, the first half of American history with government in grade 11 (similar in time frame to what is going to be within Rev. to Rev.), and the last portion of American history with economics from approximately 1900 forward in grade 12 (simlar in time frame to what is going to be within the guide to come after Rev. to Rev.). :D Should we end up writing guides for high school, this is likely the scope and sequence we would follow, allowing families to choose whether to use our younger guides and beef them up to get their credits, or whether to start the geography guide in high school and follow that plan forward instead with no beefing up. Either way would work, depending on the family goals, because in the end you'd want one credit of American history, one credit of world history, one credit of geography, 1/2 credit of government, 1/2 credit of economics. :D

The geography guide will be written with the goal of it being credit worthy in the areas I listed above. :D So, no matter whether a family is using it prior to high school or for high school it will be worthy of credit if needed. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:22 pm

Carrie wrote: Should we end up writing guides for high school, this is likely the scope and sequence we would follow, allowing families to choose whether to use our younger guides and beef them up to get their credits, or whether to start the geography guide in high school and follow that plan forward instead with no beefing up. Either way would work, depending on the family goals, because in the end you'd want one credit of American history, one credit of world history, one credit of geography, 1/2 credit of government, 1/2 credit of economics. :D
Carrie, I do believe it sounds like you're pondering the possiblities! Keep praying and I will, too. Now, if I could only come up with a plan for my oldest in the meantime.....
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:46 pm

This has been a prayerful concern of mine as well. Many have shared how they are "beefing up" CTC and RTR for high school. By the time my oldest is in his first year of high school, he'll have been through these guides and the new ones coming out soon. This leaves me wondering (and I might add. . . .praying about), what I should do for high school for him, and for the rest of our children to follow. Do I go through all those guides again and try to beef them up for high school credit, or maybe by then HOD will have high school guides as well. It's something that I have to try to not worry over. God knows our tomorrows and will take care of those concerns when they are needed. He brought us to this wonderful curriculum and He will bring us what we need at that time as well.

So, thank you again to HOD for providing all of us such a Christ-centered, complete curriculum that we'd love to use for many years to come!!!! :D

In Christ,

Lisa

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:41 pm

Thank you so much for your answers Carrie! I pray that you will decide to write guides for High School. Maybe you could one day even offer a HOD Diploma (like CLE or R&S Do!). :) We plan to stick with HOD from here on out and until there are no more guides left.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:52 pm

Carrie wrote: One thing that I will share is that our plan for our own son who is in 9th grade in high school right now is for him to do geography in grade 9, a one-year overview of world history in grade 10, the first half of American history with government in grade 11 (similar in time frame to what is going to be within Rev. to Rev.), and the last portion of American history with economics from approximately 1900 forward in grade 12 (simlar in time frame to what is going to be within the guide to come after Rev. to Rev.). :D Should we end up writing guides for high school, this is likely the scope and sequence we would follow, allowing families to choose whether to use our younger guides and beef them up to get their credits, or whether to start the geography guide in high school and follow that plan forward instead with no beefing up. Either way would work, depending on the family goals, because in the end you'd want one credit of American history, one credit of world history, one credit of geography, 1/2 credit of government, 1/2 credit of economics. :D
That is wonderful! Thanks for letting us know about the Modern program and this information. It's great to see either way we really can get it covered with HOD. :D So now I can look forward to possibly covering it both ways between all my children. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:05 pm

Thanks, ladies! Hopefully, the information will help you as you ponder for your older kiddos too. :D

Blessings,
Carrie