New Kid on the Block!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Qtipper

New Kid on the Block!

Post by Qtipper » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:57 pm

Whoa, I got a lil' long-winded. Feel free to skip on down to the bold print :wink: That's really what I am wondering!

Hey there ladies~
BLESS you all for your help! I am sure many of you have gone before me and scoured these hallowed threads and know what a TREASURE they are. I have seen glimpses into many of your homeschooling days and I am both nervous and excited to be joining your ranks. I ordered the BLHFHG just yesterday!! A friend has RAVED about HOD curricula for years! We just pulled our children from a local school...where I taught :shock: . I have been struggling with guilt, but I also know that I should have pulled them at Christmas, but I was afraid to leap out in faith. Really, Lord, how will we afford it? I can't do that to my students, I can't do that to my principal and I LOVE what I do! And it was as if He was saying, but, you love your children more and THEY are not receiving what they need. Come home. So, did God call me to homeschooling? Yes, while I was kicking and screaming! Am I ready to be obedient to His call? Mercy, yes!

With that, I will let you know my situation and tell you that I welcome ANY advice and I do not get my feathers ruffled very easily :!: I am all about humility and asking for help!

We are BLESSED to be infertile! I am so open about that because it's part of His Glory Story that goes with our family. Because of that blessing, God grew our family through adoption. We are raising two of His children Lou Bear (6) and K-Dog (8). LB is in Kindergarten and KD is in 2nd grade. They both have some learning challenges. Namely Mixed-Expressive-Receptive Language Disorder and ADHD inattentive type respectively. I consider those challenges to be blessings too! They allow me to be a better, more creative teacher!!

I am going to start BLHFHG and my intention is to go through the summer. But, I am going to be flexible as needed.

My question for you all is this:
What is something you wish someone would have told your first week? You know just ONE thing, ONE tidbit for your first week, ONE little nugget of advice…help a girl out!
Blessings~
Qtipper
Qtipper
Wife to: QBear
Mommy to:
Son: K-Dog 6/6/02 - BLHFHG
Daughter: Lou Bear 6/24/04 - BLHFHG

My motto is:
"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~ "Oh Shoot, She's up!"

Samuel'sMommy

Re: New Kid on the Block!

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:55 pm

Welcome to the boards and to HOD! You guys are going to love it!

One thing I wish I had known the first week...have fun! Don't get scared that school isn't working because it's too much fun! I promise you it is. We love HOD and are excited about using it for many years to come.

Also, I'm a fellow adoptive mom, and I think I recognize you from another IF board. :D
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Qtipper,

Welcome to the board! We are glad to have you here. :D I'll just move your post over to the Main Board so more moms will see it, as all new posts begin on our Main Board! :D

We look forward to getting to know you better as we travel the HOD path together. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

cirons

Post by cirons » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Welcome! You will LOVE HOD!

I have only been with HOD a few short months but one thing which is great to know first up, NO QUESTION IS TOO SILLY TO ASK ON THIS BOARD! Everyone is so encouraging and non-judgemental and if you don't understand something, are struggling with something, or need bright ideas, there will be someone who can help so DON'T STRUGGLE ON YOUR OWN!

Have fun!

Blessings,

Corrie
Homeschooling 2 dc since Feb, 2008
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

mindywp

Post by mindywp » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:22 pm

Welcome to HOD! This is our second year homeschooling & using HOD & I love it. I actually strayed from HOD the beginning of this year due mainly to financial reasons, but it wasn't long before I was miserable & wanted to be back in the HOD family. Fortunately, things worked out, we are back, & never plan on leaving again! :D

Now for your question....I wish someone could have convinced me last year to take it easy & not try to push my dd so much. It took me until this year to relax & realize she will eventually learn what is being taught & no pushing on my part will make her learn any faster.

I pray you will be as blessed as much as we have been with HOD.

In Christ,
Mindy
Married to Brian & the mother of two beautiful blessings:
dd 13 yrs, RTR, Rod & Staff math, La Clase Divertida 2
ds 5 yrs, LHTH, La Clase Divertida Spanish 1, Handle on the Arts

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:27 pm

QTipper, I thought I recognized your screen name, then when you mentioned your infertility, I became almost certain! I was on HP a few years ago when TTC and having multiple losses. I remember there being a QTipper there and can't imagine there being two with that same name. One in the same?
Either way, welcome to HOD! You won't regret it! It's absolutely amazing!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:11 am

First off, welcome! It sounds like you are ready to go! Yeah! :D

My tip, don't try to recreate a school atmosphere at home. I was one that wanted to try to make homeschool like a classroom. Not only does it not need to be this way, it actually runs much smoother when we relax and have fun. Beyond is a fun program so you shouldn't have a problem relaxing and having a great time! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

erin.kate

Post by erin.kate » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 am

I just wanted to pop in and say "hello!" We are new to HOD, as well, but are eager to get started! I admire your faithfulness ... love to see so many neat women on this board.

We are adopting from Eth, currently ... our son will be with us before summer. Just wanted to share.

I'm loving reading all of these nuggets of wisdom, too! Thank you!

Warmly,
Erin
♥erin kate
mae 9, viola 6, james 5, jack 4
http://www.beautifulblur.com♥

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:17 am

Hi, and Welcome! You will LOVE HOD! I am a former teacher also, and HOD is exactly the way that I wanted to teach my students but couldn't. It is refreshing and exciting to know that you have stumbled upon a wonderful, fulfilling way to teach your children. My advice is - Don't get anxious if hsing doesn't look like the pretty picture you have in your mind. Your children are used to an institutional school approach to education - and so are you! Start slowly and build your expectations. Think ahead about what you expect from your children and what will be the consequences if they don't meet your expectations. Relax and enjoy the process and know that most days will be wonderful and some will be not so much.
Laura

p.s. - Beyond is a wonderful program. It was my first exposure to HOD, and it was love at first sight. I can't wait to use it again with my dd.
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

gazelle

Post by gazelle » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:53 am

Welcome to the board and to HOD. This is my first yr with HOD. I love the relaxed, sweet method HOD teachs us and our children.
My tip... Relax and cuddle and pray. Relax- God has called you to teach and be a great parent, so you can do it. Don't try to do it all in one day, but ease into the curriculum if needed. Cuddle-your children need to feel in all ways how much you love them and that this new Life/School is different. So spend the time on the couch and read, draw, write and love. Pray- with them before the school begins, asking God to help each of you by name to learn the new way of learning, His Word and to have fun.
You and your children will enjoy this time. You can do it!
Karen
Married to my love and best friend 16 yrs
Ds 11 Preparing, rightstart math D
dd 8 Preparing, rightstart math C
ds 6 LHFHG, rightstart math A
dd newborn (my gift from God)
Done Little Hands, Lhfhg, Beyond, Bigger

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:51 am

First of all, praying for you as you start your journey and welcome to the boards. We are also doing Beyond this year and loving it!!!

I would say my advice is to just be patient. When you first start, you imagine how everything is gonna be and it may not live up to that. With time, a few weeks, things will more like resemble what you were first thinking. Basically, it may take you a couple of weeks to get in your groove. :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Welcome! We have two boys through adoption as well. All of the tips given are really good and about what I would say. I would just add that it takes 1-2 units to figure out a flow for your family. Maybe even doing the first week 1/2 speed would be helpful. I find by end of week 2 I see the "flow" that works for us for that guide and I actually make a checklist template on my computer of the order in which I want to do the boxes. I just print one out each week (it has 5 columns) and we are set. You will love HOD!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Qtipper

Post by Qtipper » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:12 pm

Sniff, sniff, I am just grinning and weeping. THANKS for your advice, encouragement and prayer! I have one more week of my two weeks notice and then we are off on our homeschooling adventure. I received my HOD shipment and I am already in love. It seems almost eerily manageable and richly infused with the love of JESUS! And this chica is all about the love of Jesus!! I loved your advice for beginning with prayer. Oh, the power of prayer (*sigh* and smile) I have been in a secular atmosphere for so long and to think of having my Lord as the center of everything we learn is truly like shackles being broken from me!!

Samuel'sMommy and Mom2Monkeys you mentioned Hannah's Prayer, yes, I am THAT Qtipper! I love it when His scarlet thread can be woven through the internet - so awesome! Mom2Monkeys, have we MET?! I feel like I may have met you at a Cracker Barrel many moons ago? I am in Arkansas too!

@ Erin ~ Congratulations on your upcoming adoption! Praying at this moment that everything will go smoothly!

I will be checking in frequently I am certain! I look forward to learning from you all.

Blessings~
Qtipper
Qtipper
Wife to: QBear
Mommy to:
Son: K-Dog 6/6/02 - BLHFHG
Daughter: Lou Bear 6/24/04 - BLHFHG

My motto is:
"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~ "Oh Shoot, She's up!"

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Qtipper wrote: Samuel'sMommy and Mom2Monkeys you mentioned Hannah's Prayer, yes, I am THAT Qtipper! I love it when His scarlet thread can be woven through the internet - so awesome! Mom2Monkeys, have we MET?! I feel like I may have met you at a Cracker Barrel many moons ago? I am in Arkansas too!

@ Erin ~ Congratulations on your upcoming adoption! Praying at this moment that everything will go smoothly!

I will be checking in frequently I am certain! I look forward to learning from you all.

Blessings~
Qtipper
Yes!! That's me! I'm HP's GodsGirl :) We did meet at Cracker Barrel! You, some other ladies, and I...an HP thing I think. Denise E and Beth E. and ?? Small world! I'm in the Little Rock area now. We left NWA a couple years ago. I'm a homeschool support group admin around here and if you're living in this area, we'd love to have you. Lots of HOD moms in our group. They saw my books and heard my kids and i talk about it and couldn't resist!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

psreit

Post by psreit » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:57 am

I just want to say, WELCOME! We, too, have adopted a child with special needs. We tried a year of Christian school, but that didn't go too well. DD needs a lot of one-on-one. HOD has been a great fit for her needs. We can take school at a pace that is good for her and the content is wonderful! The Lord is the center of it all. :D He is the most important part! DD struggles some with her reading and writing, but I know she is learning about the most important part of her life. :D

I guess my tidbit is to not get discouraged if your dc don't seem as enthused about HOD as you do. I hear other moms saying how excited their dc are to do school and because mine doesn't show that enthusiasm, I think something is wrong. But, as we go along, I am seeing fruit. She does enjoy it more than she lets on. :D We start Beyond in the fall. Looking forward to another great year. :D Enjoy!
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)