Rod and Staff Schedule Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jg_puppy

Rod and Staff Schedule Question

Post by jg_puppy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:24 pm

I am switching my dd (5th grade- 10.5 years old) to HOD CTC next week. She was already doing Rod and Staff English 4 this year, but we are not very far into the book due to some other things getting into the way of us doing a lot of school the first semester. I am looking for advice on how to continue with Rod and Staff. If she uses CTC for the remainder of 5th and the first half of 6th then she will be half way through 6th grade finishing up the first half of Rod and Staff 4. Then the next year when she does the next HOD program she would do the second half of Rod and Staff 4 if we follow the schedules in the guides. If we do that then that would have us finishing Rod and Staff 4 half way through 7th grade. I want to take things slow, but I think would be too slow for her. I am wondering if I should just go ahead and skip the rest of 4 and start with Rod and Staff 5 when we start CTC or if we should just not follow the schedule in the book and so all of Rod and Staff 4 with CTC and then all of Rod and Staff 5 with the next program. Then when we start the guide after that we could do Rod and Staff 6 as scheduled in the guide. Any thoughts?

Janet

inHistiming

Re: Rod and Staff Schedule Question

Post by inHistiming » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:36 pm

I would say do full speed, at least for a while, to get her a bit further along so you can finish level six by the time she is to the end of 8th grade. My dd is working in level 4 as well in 5th grade and we have been doing 4 lessons a week, at least that's our goal. She's only at the beginning...maybe lesson 12 or so. I do plan to slow down in a bit, once I feel we've 'caught up' enough. She has to complete three levels over the next 3.5 years so I think that's very doable. We school year round, so I am anticipating being able to slow to half-speed by summer if not before, I don't have it all worked out yet. Even if you don't do school year round, you could take out the English book a couple times a week over the summer and try to keep on the pace you need that way. Just a thought. HTH :wink:

jg_puppy

Post by jg_puppy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:21 am

Thank you for your help. I think going full speed so that we can finish Rod and Staff 4 and 5 by the time we finish RTR would be best. Then we can start Rod and Staff 6 as scheduled in the next guide.

Janet

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:45 pm

jg_puppy wrote:Thank you for your help. I think going full speed so that we can finish Rod and Staff 4 and 5 by the time we finish RTR would be best. Then we can start Rod and Staff 6 as scheduled in the next guide.

Janet
I think this sounds like a good plan! :D I am excited for you to begin CTC. We did that last year and loved it so much! The history student notebook is so lovely, and the guide is easy to use and well-balanced. We especially loved learning about the ancients this way. That is a tough time period to do authentically, yet Godly. HOD did it beautifully! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie