singapore with math u see dvds??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kvmck

singapore with math u see dvds??

Post by kvmck » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:03 am

I LOVE that with Math U See there is a DVD that the kids watch (I've watched part of a few of them and have learned quite a bit myself...) and that someone else is explaining the math concepts. My kids do not like the Math U see workbooks at all and they do really like Singapore. Sooooo... I was wondering if anyone had tried to combine the dvds from Math U See with Singapore workbooks? I know they cover different math concepts at different times and in a different order so I wasn't sure how that could work or if they are just too different to work together.
My older children are basically teaching themselves math using the singapore books... the few times that I have had to explain math concepts to them it was very frustrating for all of us and it makes me nervous for the coming years when I will have to explain more difficult concepts if they can't teach themselves.
Kristen

ds '00 PHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '02 BHFHG, Latin for Children
dd '07 LHTH

cirons

Re: singapore with math u see dvds??

Post by cirons » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:47 am

Hi there,

I have used MUS and have recently moved to Singapore so have experience with both. I understand your thinking....I love the MUS dvds too! BUT, I don't see how they could really compliment each other. Sure, you could watch the MUS dvds and it would teach you something, but it would not line up with how/when you are taught concepts in Singapore. If you need a program that does not involve you at all, maybe something like Teaching Textbooks might suit your kids. I have not used it, but have heard a lot of positive things, similar to MUS in that someone is teaching them on disk, but different style working out etc. Sorry if that does not help!
Homeschooling 2 dc since Feb, 2008
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

Alison in KY

Re: singapore with math u see dvds??

Post by Alison in KY » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:23 am

I haven't heard of anyone trying this, and I think it'd take quite a while to match up your MUS teaching with Singapore's lessons, but always doable if you have the time and energy.

Alison