OT: Advice/prayer/encouragement desperately needed!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sue G in PA

Re: OT: Advice/prayer/encouragement desperately needed!

Post by Sue G in PA » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:37 am

We are having him hospitalized today. Inpatient. I know it's the best thing for all of us but I am beside myself. I am a mess. :cry:

striving2Bprov31

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:07 pm

Dear Sue,

I just read your most recent post....my heart hurts for you right now. You are in my prayer notebook and I have prayed for you throughout the week!!!

I just want to tell you from experience that him being hospitalized could be one of the best things that could happen to you all. The Lord can use it as a springboard to get your son and family moving in the right direction. I know it doesn't feel like that right now. :(

I was hospitalized inpatient for 6 days at a local psychiatric center 8 years ago and the Lord used it mightily in my life. HE can and does work through and in all different ways to minister to our needs. Do we want to go to the hospital?...NO! But God uses hospitals, too. I learned we cannot put God in a box and demand that He helps us in the way that WE want Him to help. He uses doctors, too.

I am going to begin praying that God will place the proper people in your lives for God to use in the hospital. I will pray that the Lord will keep everyone AWAY from your family and son (therapists, doctors, etc.) that are NOT OF HIM!! that is an important prayer to pray.

Dear Jesus,

Give Sue and her family a peace that goes beyond their own understanding. Give Sue a measure of strength and peace that is so powerful that the only explanation can be YOU at work in her life. For Lord, You have "not given us a spirit of fear, but .....of sound mind."

In the name of the Great Physician, AMEN

Keep us posted Sue! Private message me if you can--I would love to give you my email and even phone number if you need someone to talk to who has walked through the fire of mental health challenges...Sometimes you need someone who "just knows".

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Sue,
I don't have any advice for you but I will definitely be lifting you and your family up in prayer!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Just catching up on this. I am sorry I missed things as they were happening.
Sue G in PA wrote:Counseling is a given...for everybody. I don't know how we got to this point. And I feel like I am in the middle of a nightmare. I wish I could just wake up and start over, kwim? If my son doesn't have ADHD or any other disorder...it means that his issues are ultimately my fault or a combo of my dh and I although dh would love to put all the blame on me. :( That's part of the problem. Thanks again for prayers.
Sue if they did not give him a full psychological evaluation then they can't possibly know if he has something going on they can give a name. That takes time. My son was looked at heavily and the official diagnosis did not come until he was put through psychological testing and I also filled out a psychological test on him. Praying they get answers for you. Having a thing to call it can help but don't blame yourself if they do not find one it is not an exact science.

We are all flawed by sin and selfishness. The truth is God chose this child for you every bit as much as he did my son for me. I seriously think He overestimates my ability but none-the-less He did choose this child for me and I know he did the same for you. It's easier for me to imagine a different position for my child because we did adopt him and I think what if he had these struggles in the orphanage. I know the answer. They would have just shipped him off to a mental facility and that would have been the end of it. So I thank God that He did give my son to me. Your child could have been born to parents that don't know God or don't care enough to help their children. He chose you and He will equip you. Fight to keep that in your mind and don't let hold of that. This is not your fault even if you were not perfect. All have fallen short. And some people are more susceptibility to mental issues. Whether they give your child a label or not the bottom line is he needs help and it sounds like you took a great step and are taking great steps to get him help. That makes you a good parent. :D Every day is new and whatever you think is wrong in anything you have done you can change that from this point on but with a label or not your son has responsibility of his own. Satan is the only one that would want to beat you down to feel this is your fault, although I completely get that because I have been exactly there thinking that and have to fight against that myself. And believe me it is easy for a spouse to also point the finger at the other I know that too. But bottom line is blame will not fix the issue. All the things that need to be addressed just need to be brought to the surface and you all need to pull together to get yourself through this. Satan would love to divide you all against each other. Don't let him. Pray specifically against that.

Praying for your family! And will continue to pray for you on this. God will take you to a new place step by step even if it is hard to see, He is faithful!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:08 pm

I just want to agree with W2W.
Do not play the blame game. I had the This is the child God gave me and He will equip me. epiphany about 2 years ago.
I'm praying for you too! there is hope. No one wants you to have to go through this crises, but since you are we will stand with you.
Hang on tightly to God and don't listen to the lies of the enemy.
Huggles,
Sara
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:30 pm

I'm praying for you too Sue. He will carry you when you cannot go on and He will bring you strength. Lean on God now and cry out to Him. He hears you! I am so sorry that you are going through this. I have not experienced the exact same things but I know it has got to be heart-wrenching. I'm so glad you've been updating us, too. Please come back again once you know anything more so we can pray more specifically.

In Christ's Love,

Wendy

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:19 pm

Praying for you & your family right now, too, Sue!

Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:52 am

So feeling for you, Sue. I understand a bit, as I have an ADHD or OCD type of son (9 yr old) as well. Very needy and controlling. I want to make some practical suggestions. These supplements have helped my son A GREAT DEAL. They are natural and completely safe. In our experience, they DO help take the edge off and do help my son to focus and be more calm, less emotional, etc.

This is the first supplement: Concentrate by Enzymatic Therapy The link is:
http://www.iherb.com/Enzymatic-Therapy- ... /2229?at=0

Another very good supplement I am seeing good results with is called Mood Support, Now brand:
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Mood-Sup ... /8214?at=0

A VERY good supplement for hyperactive or ADHD children is PediaCalm. I give it to my 4 year old, and she has been amazing me! This stuff works, and is totally beneficial and natural. Link:
http://www.iherb.com/Olympian-Labs-Inc- ... 14328?at=0

I get mostly ALL of my vitamins/herbs from www.iherb.com. They have the best prices I have found and free shipping over $40. I believe in taking natural supplements instead of medication whenever I can. And they WORK, truly.

I hope this may help you. You could give some of these to various children in your home. I even take the Concentrate myself. It helps me to stay focused so much better. I know this is practical, but it is very helpful in our experience. Blessings!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

Sue G in PA

Post by Sue G in PA » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:20 am

It's very probable that he has a mood disorder. They have tentatively diagnosed him with mood disorder - NOS. It is likely bi-polar but we won't know for a while. The staff psychs also said they rarely diagnose bi-polar in children this young and typically keep the diagnosis as NOS until they are older. Not sure how I feel about that. He seems to be doing better today. For that I am grateful.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Bipolar was the initial "diagnosis" my son was given before he was tested thoroughly. In our case so far they do not think it is true after testing and apparently they put it in on charts in hospitals etc to get insurance to pay often. It was put on my son's insurance papers apparently so they could get payment. Literally that is what I was told. What I was told by the psychiatrist is teens and children can appear to be bipolar but outgrow it where true bipolar at least in adulthood tends to not be that way. That was the reason I was told they stay away from that label in general when treating teens or preteens.

Hang in there! One day at a time. I believe God can heal anything. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Still praying for your ds and you're whole family. (((HUGS)))
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

striving2Bprov31

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:45 pm

Keep hanging in there, Sue!! One foot in front of the other.....one moment at a time....one hour at a time.

Keep us posted.....you are doing the brave thing!! :)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not harm you; plans to give you a hope and a future."
This verse is true NO MATTER what our hardship may be. Even mental illness!!! This Bible verse applies to everyone no matter what the struggle may be.

mom23

Post by mom23 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:16 pm

Praying for you, Sue! We traveled the mental illness road within the past year with a family member-not our child. Cannot imagine how that compounds your struggle. Please know that you are not to blame, that you are not alone in your struggle, that things like this do happen in God-fearing, Christ-loving families. Our enemy, although powerful and frightening, is no match for our Father! Find comfort in His love and grace. I'll pray that God will send an in-the-flesh friend to put her arms around you, something I needed more than anything else some days.
Becky, married to my preacher-man and raising:
DD 12-7th grade public school
DS 10-Preparing
DS 8-Beyond
DS 3-Just doin' his thing

kayben

Post by kayben » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:03 pm

My prayers are with you. I am praying that having your precious ds inpatient right now has given you the opportunity to have a few moments of regrouping with your other dear children. I am praying that with this small window of time you all can step back and with the counselors help form some kind of plan to help everyone cope with all that is happening. Praying the Lord provides some kind of medication, if necessary, to provide the chemical balance necessary for his own peace and well being. As these problems are a medical condition, as is diabetes... kwim? I have seen the miracle of depression meds working in family members whom became brand new people after taking the prescribed medical help. I am mostly praying for your peace. God does not want us to feel a failure. I read years ago (as I often feel a failure. I take the blame all the time for the absolute chaos that has taken over our home in the last 6 months..so this message is for me as well. :oops: ) God is the PERFECT parent and YET Adam and Eve sinned against him in a way that affected all mankind. So we need to remember that the Lord is in control. All we can do is our best. Pray for them daily, even minute, by minute.
Hugs and lifted prayer for you,
Rebecca
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

mindywp

Post by mindywp » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Sue,
I read your post yesterday & my heart goes out to you. I could feel your pain and despair in your words & I immediately said a prayer for you & your family. I cannot quit thinking about your post & I know it is God placing you on my heart to continually pray for you. I pray you are also comforted knowing you are being lifted up by so many.
In Christ,
Mindy
Married to Brian & the mother of two beautiful blessings:
dd 13 yrs, RTR, Rod & Staff math, La Clase Divertida 2
ds 5 yrs, LHTH, La Clase Divertida Spanish 1, Handle on the Arts