Is anyone starting in January?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Catherine

Is anyone starting in January?

Post by Catherine » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:46 pm

Hi,

We are so excited to be starting LHFHG and LHTH in January! I feel like I've been waiting forever to start because I found HOD when my oldest was 2! We were really blessed by LHTH with my oldest and now I get to go through it again with my 2nd child. I feel a little backwards starting up in January, but it just feels like the right time. Has anyone else begun mid-year? Any reasons not to?

TIA!
Catherine :)
~8 yr old DD
~6 yr old DD
~4 yr old DS
~2 yr old DS

ktwensel

Re: Is anyone starting in January?

Post by ktwensel » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi Catherine,

I just started Bigger last week with my two dc (8 and 10). We were doing something else and switched. We love it so far! I wish that I would have started in September however, because DH is a teacher and he's off in the summer. It is really hard to keep my kids going when Dad is home. I hope to work through a schedule so that we can start Preparing in September...or October.

Glad you are here!
Karen
-----------------------
dd (10)
ds (8)

doubleportion

Post by doubleportion » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:40 pm

:lol: Me! Me! Me! (jumping up and down waving) We are starting Preparing in January.

We school year round and have been schooling for this school year with something else since the beginning of July.

Can't wait!! Is it weird that I would be this excited about starting curriculum???

Edie
dd 13 -Rev2Rev (enjoyed PHFHG, CTC, RTR)
ds 8 -Beyond
ds 6 LHFHG & ds 2 & ds 6 months
4 waiting for us with Jesus

Catherine

Post by Catherine » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:16 pm

ktwensel - I hear you! We wouldn't be able to do school either if my hubby was home all summer. I think I'm going to do a light schedule this summer and perhaps be able to start 1st grade close to next September. We'll see!

Edie - I'm excited too! And I loved your blog post. I added you to my reader. :)
~8 yr old DD
~6 yr old DD
~4 yr old DS
~2 yr old DS

ALB

Post by ALB » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:51 pm

We will be starting LHFHG then since my dd will be turning 5. She would have been ready a few months ago (she is extremely motivated and eager!), but I've made myself wait until she is 5 for the sake of being on a good track with future guides. We did start LHTH in the fall with my almost 3 yr. old son, and that just whets our appetite to start LHFHG!
I don't see why it matters much when you start the "school year" or "grade", other than to tell people who occasionally ask. Seems like one of the great things about homeschooling is the ability to decide what is right for your own dc and family without being on someone else's schedule.
Living in Asia and enjoying the journey with dh of 9 years!
DD (almost 5) soon to start LHFHG, DS 3 enjoying LHTH.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:39 am

We are starting Bigger with DD1 in January. With dd2 we are doing LHFHG and are on unit 4 of the left side but starting the right side at the beginning (we did right side K options this past year and are finishing up now. We will start the second half of LHTH with dd3 in Jan or Feb. :)

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:54 am

We are finishing the history and science portions of CTC (units 32-35) over the next couple weeks and then will be focusing on catching up w/ R&S 4, and finishing WWTB over the rest of this month.
That being said, that means in mid-January Kasey will start with RTR. I am also planning to start LHTH from the beginning with Typhoon Tiff in January.
Its taken me a while but I'm at a point that I am just not going to get flustered with starting and finishing on public school schedule...The school year of 2009-2010(Aug - June) had so many challenges that we ended up schooling straight through summer. Its now become comfortable to just keep going in that manner. We just take a week off when we feel brain dead or run half days to give ourselves a breather. I am so thankful that homeschooling allows that flexibility lol cuz I know I am going to need it come April :wink: .
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

christina101902

Post by christina101902 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:28 am

We will be starting in January with LHFHG for my 5yo and LHTH(second time for the 3yo almost 4). Super excited to start a new curriculum.

Christina
Christina

Desiree 5-LHFHG K
2- 1yr olds- dancing and singing along

striving2Bprov31

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:12 pm

We are!!!!

:)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Catherine,

We are finishing Beyond Little Hearts with my third little guy in 1 week, so we are actually starting Bigger Hearts in December! The wonderful thing about HOD is that steady progress forward is honestly more important than finishing or starting a guide on a certain cycle. We'll just head into our new guide as soon as we finish the old one! :wink: It's like getting a fresh batch of enthusiasm and excitement when you start a new guide mid-year! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:34 pm

We school year round, so my second ds will be starting Preparing in January. My other children have been going steady since July.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH