Do I Understand CM's way of teaching reading correctly?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mrsrandolph

Do I Understand CM's way of teaching reading correctly?

Post by mrsrandolph » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:04 pm

I am reading the "Home Learning" volume of the big old Charlote Mason set in order to better understand the methods.

I want to see if I understood what she wrote about how she thinks children should be taught to read. Please correct me if I am wrong. It seems that she thought everything should be taught as a sightword.

She would take a Nursery Rhyme. "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", for example. She would introduce one line to the child, listing the words of the first line on the blackboard. Then she would basically "preteach" those words to the children until they were able to recognize them by sight.

Then she would have the first line of "Twinkle Twinkle" cut up so each word was separate. She would have the child place the words in order. Then have the child "read" the first line.

She would continue in this fashion until the child could "read" the whole rhyme.

Am I close?
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)