Do you supplement? If so, with what?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mommamo

Re: Do you supplement? If so, with what?

Post by Mommamo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:39 am

ktwensel wrote:I am really enjoying reading your answers on this.

We started our first week of Bigger and LOVE it so far (only going into the 2nd day :lol: ) but I'm finding it hard to release my grasp on some of the things we were doing. (ie, R & S Spelling, Bible, and Science). My ds loves his Bible and I will let him continue (can never have too much!) and I think I will let them just read their Science without notebooking. Spelling is quick and I may have them continue, I don't know. I just don't want my day to be 6 hours long!!! :roll:

I would love to do composers and authors too along the way.
I hope this is okay to say since it's not actually curriculum, but if you want to add in composers you could listen to the stories from Classics for Kids. They do a new composer each month. There's not a lot of his music on it, but it exposes the children to one or two of his major works, and tells about his life. There is also a worksheet you can print out each month. It's all free, just do a google search for it. I know that it also comes on some NPR stations. That's where we first heard it. (NPR is all my kiddos want to listen to in the car! :lol: )

I find that this is really compatitable with HOD because it only adds about 10 minutes, once per week. We like to listen to it during snack or lunch time. We do often get other books about the composer, and listen to other works, but that does start to add some time and just listening to the stories is enough and very enjoyable. A great little introduction to the world of the composers.

I'm so glad to hear that composers are mentioned a little bit in Preparing.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

rainbowacreshs

Post by rainbowacreshs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:35 pm

Pretty much we used it as written, especially after the first couple months of trying to struggle w/ all the additional things I thought my dd needed....Turned out HOD is best as written. I did however use a lap book that complemented the Animals of the 6th Day. As far as Language Arts, I pretty much tossed everything except what was written in the guide out the window. I became a happier mom and dd was happier w/ the Rod & Staff.
~Jasmine~
Married to a wonderful hubby since '95
DD Kasey 14 RTR Sept. '11 - June '12
DD Typhoon Tiffy 3yrs old beggining LHTH

Lil Ruth born April 25 2011..and just a pure joy!

ktwensel

Post by ktwensel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:20 pm

Mommamo wrote:I hope this is okay to say since it's not actually curriculum, but if you want to add in composers you could listen to the stories from Classics for Kids. They do a new composer each month. There's not a lot of his music on it, but it exposes the children to one or two of his major works, and tells about his life. There is also a worksheet you can print out each month. It's all free, just do a google search for it. I know that it also comes on some NPR stations. That's where we first heard it. (NPR is all my kiddos want to listen to in the car! :lol: )

I find that this is really compatitable with HOD because it only adds about 10 minutes, once per week. We like to listen to it during snack or lunch time. We do often get other books about the composer, and listen to other works, but that does start to add some time and just listening to the stories is enough and very enjoyable. A great little introduction to the world of the composers.

I'm so glad to hear that composers are mentioned a little bit in Preparing.
I checked this out and this is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this link. I was also glad to hear that composers are mentioned in Preparing.

Thanks Ladies! Your comments are wonderful!
Karen
-----------------------
dd (10)
ds (8)

gazelle

Post by gazelle » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:34 am

We do it as it. We add sign language for my two yr old (as he has speach delay) and gymnastics on wed. Once in while I will include a missionary, peoples, or nature study but that only takes a few hours in the afternoon (only when the children are interested in something specific). All in all, I have found that I don't need or want to change things.
Karen
Married to my love and best friend 16 yrs
Ds 11 Preparing, rightstart math D
dd 8 Preparing, rightstart math C
ds 6 LHFHG, rightstart math A
dd newborn (my gift from God)
Done Little Hands, Lhfhg, Beyond, Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:48 pm

We do it as is, and after having added things previously, I must say there is much joy in letting go of the extras and just thoroughly enjoying the journey with HOD! :D I feel like our days are just right; there is a delicate balance there I want to maintain. This is my eighth year homeschooling - but my fifteenth year teaching - and I must say that the most basic goal I have is to be able to joyfully homeschool in a Christ-centered manner to the end. :D Easier said than done! But, I am confident I can do this with HOD (for as many years as Carrie writes, that is). :wink: I will say that if I had one child, I may add this or that just for fun if I had the inclination or the time. I can see how moms in this situation may do that and enjoy that very much. :D I have such variety in teaching 3 different HOD guides at all times now, and it is great fun to switch it up just going between teaching the different guides! No more is necessary in any way, for variety for me, nor for extra anything for the dc. If I had one child, I would still do all of HOD as it's written, but maybe add in this or that extra that was just for fun for the two of us to enjoy together. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

ktwensel

Post by ktwensel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:39 pm

my3sons wrote: - and I must say that the most basic goal I have is to be able to joyfully homeschool in a Christ-centered manner to the end. :D Easier said than done! But, I am confident I can do this with HOD (for as many years as Carrie writes, that is). :wink:

Well said Julie!

When I sat down and re-evaluated my reasons for homeschooling, this is it. I wanted to be there when my children discovered new things, rejoice in their accomplishments, and gently strengthen them in their weaknesses. I consider it a joy and a priviledge to do that with them. Doing all this is a Christ-centered manner, as you state, is next to perfect. I am learning to relax and enjoy the journey, instead of anxiously trying to produce that next Einstein (however, if that happens along the way, great! :D ). My priorities have changed and I have HOD to thank for that.
Karen
-----------------------
dd (10)
ds (8)