anyone using dithor witha a highschool student

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
beverett

anyone using dithor witha a highschool student

Post by beverett » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Hello, iam planning on using dithor for my ninth grader and all the books that i planned on using for literature do not fit into the genres. so my question is if anyone of you use dithor with a highschool students what are some of the books you are using? if i can not figure something out i will just use the ctc basic pkg books that i ordered just for fun... :D
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

my3sons

Re: anyone using dithor witha a highschool student

Post by my3sons » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:48 am

We've used DITHOR and loved it for many years, but my dc aren't high school age as of yet. :D I just wanted to say that many, many moms with ninth grade dc have gotten DITHOR to use for their reading instruction. :wink: Do you have the Sample Book Ideas list from DITHOR? I know some of the titles listed for the 6/7/8 level are fairly advanced. This is an excellent thread in which Carrie addresses how to use DITHOR for high school (other subject areas are addressed as well). Just arrow down to Carrie's post, and some titles are listed for DITHOR:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240&p=52854

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

beverett

Post by beverett » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:07 pm

Julie, Thank you so much for your response :D . I did look over the thread that you linked, and maybe i should explain a little more. I have already purchased dithor and ctc to do with my 9th grader. I also bought some books to up literature and history. The literature books are Epic of Gilgamesh, Antigone, The Odyssey, Oedipus Rex and JUlius Caesar. None of these seem to fit any of the genre in dithor. So I am just not sure if I should use a differant literature guide for him that would accompany these books, in which case i would just keep my dithor 7/8 workbook for my next child, or do I use dithor as a reading guide using differant book choices from the sample list and[i do literature with these other books that i have bought. Hope that is clear! :D We will start the week after Thanksgiving. So i just need to be sure I am not doing two literature programs with him, and would like to do dithor if possible? Another thought i just had is would I be able to use these books with a differant guide and then do a few other books with dithor, because i still need 4 more literature for the year?? Thank you again for your help?
Brandi
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

beverett

Post by beverett » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:38 pm

just bumping so maybe someone can see :D :lol: :P
Brandi
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

ihvnangel

Post by ihvnangel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:12 am

Giving you a bump up, I would really like to see the answer on this as I will eventually be in the same sort of position with my oldest... :D
Chandra
Wife to Jerry~My handsome Navy Chief! ;-)
Mom to 5 blessings;
Noah 11
Jonah 10
Hannah 5
Luke 3
and our Angel, Sarah, forever 5 in our hearts
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/myangelsarah

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:26 pm

beverett,

You can truly use any book with DITHR, so it's up to you what books to choose. High school level literature is a very broad category, so you can truly go any way you desire. We are still in the midst of previewing appropriate high school material to meet our own family goals, but I can list a few you could consider to get you started. :wink:

This year my son is reading Pride and Prejudice (and if you get a chance to watch the BBC's Pride and Prejudice DVD series with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy along with the readings, it is wonderful.). I'd put this under realistic fiction or historical fiction. :D My son truly enjoyed it.

We have also done The Importance of Being Earnest (which is a play that has a DVD movie with Colin Firth in it as "Earnest/Jack"). The DVD is a bit lovey/dovey in a few parts, so you'd have to determine if it suits your son. I would put this under humor, but you'll need another title to use for this genre as "Earnest" is short. You could possibly use Jane Austen's Emma to fill this out, as it is humorous and quite witty in many ways. (Emma also has wonderful DVD's that tell this story either with Gwyneth Paltrow in the lead or Kate Beckinsale stars in an Emma as well.) :D Mama's Bank Account would be another good humorous title that would fit here.

My son is also doing Silas Marner, which I'd put under realistic or historical fiction. Wonderful book! :D

We are doing The Scarlet Pimpernel (which is definitely historical fiction, or it could also fit in adventure or possibly squeeze into mystery if desired).

Animal Farm is another short play that could fit under fantasy. We will do this one as well. You could possibly consider Gulliver's Travels for the rest of the fantasy genre, depending on how you feel about that particular title. We are still weighing it. :D

The Vicar of Wakefield is another good title with real possiblities. It is well-written and has good moral lessons and could fit under realistic or historical fiction. It does not flow quite as easily as a Jane Austen title, but is still very good.

For adventure, you could also consider either Twain's Prince and the Pauper or Robinson Crusoe. My son has read Robinson Crusoe already and will be doing Prince and the Pauper this year. :D The Old Man and the Sea is another good adventure. Ivanhoe is another good adventure title that my son really enjoyed, and it could also fall under historical fiction too. It is longer but not such difficult reading. :D

A short Shakespeare play would be worth considering, such as Much Ado About Nothing or The Taming of the Shrew possibly, or any of Shakespeare's shorter plays that you are comfortable doing. :D Sometimes Shakespeare's use of language or the remarks or slurs he uses can be a barrier, depending on how you feel about some of that.

For biography, you could consider Up from Slavery by Booker T. Washington, or The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, or if you want a lighter read Invincible Louisa by Cornelia Meigs (about Louisa May Alcott), or Abigail Adams by Natalie Bober, or The Story of My Life by Helen Keller. :D

For nonfiction, you could use any of David Mccullough's titles. 1776 would be one option, although it is long. Mccullough's Truman, John Adams, and Mornings on Horseback would all work under biography too. Mornings on Horseback is the shortest. :D

Progeny Press has a very good poetry guide that you could use to study poetry for a portion of the year as well. Typically, a high school level literature study will include a combination of poetry, short stories/plays, and full-length novels. :D

Anyway, just a few ideas to get you started. As we write our guide for geography, we will be utilizing some of these titles above for the literature portion. Should the Lord use us to write future high school guides, we would likely also be scheduling some of the titles above in future guides as well.

Blessings,
Carrie

beverett

Post by beverett » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:58 pm

Oh goodness, THaNK YOU so very much for this wonderful response, it is very helpful! :D :D We have five boys, and I cant even imagine how busy your family is :lol: ... Thank you again! I have seen Pride and Prejudice with colin firth, very good, I thought that my son would like it also, glad i didnt let him watch it yet. :D This is a wonderful list of options i did not even think of, Thanks again! I will look at all of these. :D :) Oh and I hope you do get to write future guides, we are so thrilled that the Lord showed us HOD! It is amazing, I just started LHTH, BIGGER with 2, and CTC, and can not wait to do more. I know i said this a bunch already, but thanks again!
Brandi
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Tue May 17, 2011 10:10 pm

I'm not doing DITHOR with a high schooler yet but I enjoy reading and would love to suggest Ishmael or Self-Raised by E.D.E.N. Southworth (an 1876 Lamplighter book) that has SO much positive moral content. I would place it at 10-12th grade material, however. It is an absolutely fantastic book (and the latter is the second in that short series). For Historical Fiction, I'd love to suggest a Thoene series book from their WW II Collection like Vienna Prelude. I am truly amazed at how much I am able to glean from Godly authors and their books. I think I'll make it a priority to have my children read mission related titles at this age range as well. I'm thinking about books like And the Word Came with Power -- a story of a spiritual battle of a missionary that can't help but convict the reader of God's awesome power. I'm sure there are many others that are similar in content, maybe Heavenly Man (which might be more of a Biography). Anyway, there are so many convicting books, I'd hate to have my dear children miss out on some of those incredible ones before they leave my roof :). God certainly moves in a mighty way and I love to be inspired by others!

Amy
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)