Does anyone....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Marsha

Does anyone....

Post by Marsha » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:59 pm

buy extra copies of the books so that each child will have a copy?

I am contemplating doing this so that they can take turns reading aloud and stay a bit more focused.

What do you do?
I have 3 doing Bigger, plus a 5 year old, 2 year old, and a 5 month old.
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

silly

Post by silly » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:01 am

I think it would be nice if I had the means. Erik and Jake are on the same level, so I can see where that might help.
Sasha; mama to
Erik (5) LHTH
Jacob (4) LHTH
Lucas (2)

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/jahayfamilyschool/

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:42 am

I would love having duplicates of thebooks if I were you.

Please dont hate me for suggesting this, but if you have a half price bookstore nearby, ours had the most of the books (emerging is what I needed) for $1.50 or so each. They're used, but all were in great condition. I just couldn't afford buying new, so this was a great solution for me.

Marsha

Post by Marsha » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:45 am

A bookstore, used or new is 45minutes to half an hour away.
I live in a small town. All we have is Walmart.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :D
Miranda 15 on July 4th
Cassandra 12
Jonathan 10
Sarah 8
Hannah 6
Rachel 4
Abigail 2
Rebecca born in Sept.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:40 am

I don't. I can see where it would be nice. We are doing our extension read aloud but I have looked at it for next year. I have two very fast readers and I am thinking we can juggle it. If I do it though which it is possible I think I would only go with one extra copy and juggle between that rather than each having their own. I am going to try to make it work though with just one copy. I think we can do it just by having kids read at different times of the day. But I am a little concerned with my slower readers who I think will do the lower extension pack in preparing. So maybe some of the longer books I will duplicate. I am curious to see what others will say about this though because it is a very good question. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:35 pm

I think it really depends on how many students you are actually trying to juggle the books between (or among)! :lol:

I think 2 kiddos can juggle pretty well, as long as they aren't scheduled to read it at too similar of a time (so one isn't waiting on the other). I think once you get to 3 or more sharing, it would be necessary to have an extra copy.

Then, it also is a matter of what finances will permit, and also how long the book is used for. If it is a long book, it would be more worthwhile to have the extra copy, as it would be a longer juggling period otherwise. For shorter books it would be a short period of juggling. :wink:

Just my musings, which may not be helpful at all! :lol:

Blessings,
Carrie