What would you say the educational style of HOD is?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
justme

What would you say the educational style of HOD is?

Post by justme » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:42 pm

I love Carrie's take on history. As I look at other curriculums I too have found many subjects like mythology, false religions, etc. that I don't want to introduce at this young age.

I'm trying to learn all I can about homeschooling and I'm just curious what style you'd say HOD is. (I looked on the home page and didn't see anything...But it's late and I may have missed it.) :D

Thanks!

Candice

Post by Candice » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:59 pm

I would say Charlotte Mason...

http://www.heartofdakota.com/educational-philosophy.php

Hope this helps a bit.

I'm up late too, time to go to bed!

Candice

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:03 am

I agree! The best Charlotte Mason curriculum for Christians.
Dorla

justme

Can you tell me where CM comes in?

Post by justme » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:00 am

I see the short lessons, narration but I'm not seeing living books. The history in BLHFG looks texbook based.

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:41 am

We're doing Bigger and it's definitely what I would consider living books-the style of the book is in a story, narrative format. I wasn't sure...the Eggleston books struck me as text-bookish before I had them in my hand. I think I thought that just because they are old... :oops: :lol: kwim?
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:13 am

justme,

Warning: Soapbox is out, and I am on it! :lol:

I only have a moment here, but I'll pop in to tell you that from a Charlotte Mason perspective the history books we use in our guides are all living. They are books written by single authors passionate about their subject material (many are reprinted from an older time). They are told in narrative or story form and only use facts in the context of telling the story. They use the words to paint pictures in the mind rather than using the eye-candy type photos to tell the story.

We also use each book in a CM style read slowly over time to savor and internalize the content. Each of the books in our curriculum (except for the science textbooks used in LHFHG and Beyond) show up on every Charlotte Mason list there is! This includes Cindy's Rushton's reading lists, Penny Gardner's, Catherine Levinson's, and the Ambleside Online advisory's. So, you don't even have to take my word for it that they're living! :wink:

It took me quite awhile to figure out what a living book actually is, as so many curriculums like to drop that phrase to describe their own books. But, from studying Charlotte Mason extensively and using CM methods exclusively with my oldest son for years, I can tell you that it is rare to find a curriculum that truly uses living books in a CM-style. Either the book chosen is not truly living, or it is consumed in such a quick fashion that is not in CM-style, or there are so many books scheduled to be read that no one book can be savored in the CM-fashion. :wink:

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
Carrie

justme

Post by justme » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:06 pm

Carrie,

Thanks so much for sharing this. It was a huge help! :D

Blessings,
justme

justme

Carrie, I forgot one thing...

Post by justme » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:45 pm

Would you consider the educational style of HOD to be solely Charlotte Mason then?

Thanks so much!

justme

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:22 am

justme,

I'm going to point you to a couple of past threads that will help with this question:
viewtopic.php?t=171

viewtopic.php?t=718

viewtopic.php?t=229

viewtopic.php?t=719

viewtopic.php?t=113

If you're not a researcher and find this list overwhelming, then just read the first couple of threads! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

justme

Post by justme » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks Carrie. These were great and really clarified it for me.

Blessings,
justme