Questions regarding both Little Hands and Little Hearts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
7mommy

Questions regarding both Little Hands and Little Hearts

Post by 7mommy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:08 pm

I have a few questions that I wanted to ask as far as these books.

1) Is the summer (starting ASAP) long enough to get through Little Hands? Or if not, how long do you think it would take to get through the book? My 5yo ds is eager to learn. I am hoping to begin something more structured soon. Right now we are using a few workbooks. He likes them, but I think he is a bit bored. The reason I have put off is due to my question below.

2) This is my most important question. My son has multiple food allergies. Most of them are anaphylactic. The problem I am finding is that a good number of curriculum like to base their lessons on experience. I have two books that I have used with other children of mine, but they involve lessons that will be difficult for me to alter. It makes me very sad and frustrated!! :( I was wondering if anyone could tell me if any of the lessons in Little Hands or Little Heart involve food. If so, can you explain further how it is done? For example, If a lesson talks about a cow, then they make butter, it is very difficult for me to think of an alternative activity for making butter. It is so hands on, KWIM? But if say a lesson is on yellow and we make eggs, I can simply think of another yellow food perhaps. Or if there is a recipe for cookies, I can just use my own (unless it is like that Easter Egg recipe that you make from eggs and nuts. Another example is a lesson on nutrition....he cannot have anything from dairy, no eggs, no wheat/gluten (although grains can be subbed), and no nuts. He cannot have beef either, but that is not as big of a deal since there are other meats. I really don't want to have to think through how to effectively present a lesson while skipping about half of it.

Thanks for any help that you can give me. I am an experienced mom and homeschooler, but he is my only child who has allergies like these!!

Becca

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:34 pm

I don't know how much help I can be, but I'll give it a shot.

We recently started LHTH with my 4 yr old. We are condensing it so we can finish sooner to start LHFHG in the fall. I try to do two units a week (That's about 2 days worth each day). So far it's been working well. Especially since there are some activities that she wouldn't be interested in and some days when she asks for more, so we keep moving on. So far, we're up to unit 10 and I haven't done anything with food. Though I don't know what the rest of the book holds.

I hope I was able to help a little. I feel your pain with the food allergies since my son can't have dairy. Though it sounds like you have multiple allergies which must make it tougher.
Last edited by crlacey on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:35 pm

My youngest dd has celiac disease, so I know exactly what you're talking about! :D I, unfortunately, have not done Little Hands. But we're doing Little Hearts right now and I've only had to alter one activity...making the golden calf. It calls for peanut butter (you would need to sub....maybe Nonuts Golden Pea butter) and powdered milk (I used powdered sugar) and honey.

Now we're only half-way, but haven't run into any other issues (that I can remember anyway!)

You could always post you're dilema and we could all put our heads together for you....we're good at that here :wink: and come up with some alternatives for you!

Someone else will have to help you with your other question...I'm not familiar enough with Little Hands to know if your plan is "doable". Has he just turned 5? or an older 5? I'd be more apt to say he's ready for Little Hearts or would be by fall.

Sorry if this is rambly...I've just discoverd by kids trying to swim in a horse tank....gotta go
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

shera

Post by shera » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:38 pm

I can't speak for Little Hands but LHFHG (Little Hearts) has 34 units in it and we will be starting unit 6 on Mon. By my calculation we should finish this around the beginning of Oct. give or take. Is there a reason you want to finish the program by the fall?
In LHFHG, so far I have come across one cooking type activity that I would think you could easily substitute. It was making a golden calf out of peanut butter dough, like play dough and then the kids eat it. I would think you could easily substitute some cookie recipe your child can have and then he can shape the cookie like a calf. Playdough is used some. I'm not sure if that is a problem or not.

HTH
Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:44 pm

Sarah...thanks for reminding me about the playdough. Most playdough (all that I've seen) contains wheat. I just use clay, but I've been subbing that one for so long, I often forget. :D
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

7mommy

Post by 7mommy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:55 pm

Ok....
This really helps!!
He turned 5 in Sept.

Playdough is ok so far. He has been gf a long time, but it is not due to Celiac. He was never tested. He originally tested pos to wheat, but now tests neg. However, ingesting gluten gives him abdominal pain and intestinal issues and then he acts really horribly -- crying all the time, screaming, etc. BUT we are in a place where we cannot endure him eating the wheat/gluten. But all that is a different story. He has played with playdough and been ok. He does have eczema and gets it on his hands sometimes, but I have never seen playdough aggravate that. So we are ok with the playdough. Everything else IS anaphylactic.

So, Little Hearts sounds doable!! That is great!! I was hoping that the activities would be something I could easily alter.

So I guess I am still wondering about Little Hands.

shera

Post by shera » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:00 pm

Hopefully this will work. Here is a thread for the supply list for LHFHG
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/view ... upply+list

Here is the math supply list for LHFHG
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/view ... upply+list

Hopefully those will link for you. Again its not Little Hands but this is a fairly complete list. If you need help with substituting or something let us know and we will be happy to try and suggest something.

Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

silly

Post by silly » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:04 pm

7mommy,

We are just starting our second week of LHTH. Currently, I calculate that we'll probably finish up in November if we did one unit a week.

My boys have, so far, been just fine with doing everything in one block, and it takes us about half an hour to an hour to complete the day. I would think that you could easily double that if your child was okay with moving fast. In fact, last Friday, I only did half of the work for the day, because we had a birthday party for my baby, and on Monday, I just finished the left over work in the morning, and then did Monday's work in the afternoon.

My husband was just asking me if I thought the boys would be okay if I sped things up a little (he wants them to be on the next level, the more "kindergarten" level at the start of this coming school year, since that is where Erik would be in ps). I looked at everything and thought to myself, if I did that, I would do one day's lessons in the morning, take a break, and then do the next day's lessons in the afternoon. Personally, I don't know quite how I feel about speeding up, because my oldest has so many delays, but if your child was "getting it" and not having problems, I don't see why that wouldn't work...

I hth!!
Sasha; mama to
Erik (5) LHTH
Jacob (4) LHTH
Lucas (2)

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/jahayfamilyschool/

7mommy

Post by 7mommy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:15 pm

November isn't too bad. I could do that. :)
I just returned from the homeschool store.
I live just a few miles from one. I drove over and sat there and looked at both books. There are def some things that I will have to brainstorm on, but I think we will do it!! I also am thinking that it would be good to begin with LHTH to ease into it now rather than the LHFHG.

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:35 pm

We are only one week 5 of Little Hands as my dd is still young and we were taking it slow. So far I have seen no food activities that I can remember. I can see speeding up Little Hands with an average 5 yo. The lessons are short enough and you are teaching 1 letter sound per week and counting. Some children have no problem doing a letter sound per day at 5. Just see what your child is able to do. There are times that my dd doesn't want to do anything so we don't. Then there are times where she wants more and more. She is not even 3 yet and we can easily do 2 lessons in a day when she is up to it. You shouldn't have any problems with a 5 yo. They are so fun your child will probably eat it up!! :o)

I tried to do the gf thing with my dd as an experiment with her health issues. It was impossible!! I would have to move she and I into the shed to get her away from the rest of the family that eats lots of gluten. I take my hat off to you and your treatment of your child!!! I can't imagine so many allergies!!
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

silly

Post by silly » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:21 pm

Lucky mommy to live so close to a homeschool store! Well, then again, I would probably be in trouble if I were so close....
Sasha; mama to
Erik (5) LHTH
Jacob (4) LHTH
Lucas (2)

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/jahayfamilyschool/

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:11 pm

LHTH has 33 units but you could easily go a bit faster if your child is ready. Doing each unit over 4 days then moving into the next unit on the 5th day would take 6 weeks off the top if you need to speed it up. It would be very easy to take a days lesson and split it up over the other 4.

Just a thought. :D

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:24 pm

Becca,

I wanted to say hi, and welcome to HOD! :D

I'm doing LHTH with my almost 4 y/o. We're going slowly, especially since it warmed up outside, and are only on unit 9. I know that one time I had her making letters in pudding with her finger, but I'm thinking that I subbed that in for something because we had pudding for lunch. :wink:

My sister is using LHFHG currently with her oldest who is 5. He has all the alergies you mentioned...except beef, and including a few other fruits. She hasn't ever mentioned having a problem with anything in the program. But, I know when your child has so many allergies you're used to substituting. :roll:

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:49 pm

My dd is allergic to milk, and tree nuts, so I know where your coming from. My dd knows if she gets milk protein she will stim for about 20 hours and her words become slurred for 4-5 hours.

Sunflower butter and soy powder (try a chinese food store) with sugar added. Or hey do what we did we skipped this one. She didn't miss much. Afterward I though Doh! She could have carved it out of cantalope with a pumpkin carving knife.

I Do remember making a butter churn (I'm not sure if this was a rabbit trail or not) and having my dd make butter but she knew she couldn't eat it. So we added honey and gave it as a gift to a favorite Aunti. I did most of the "handling."

Pumpkin puree is good for making letters instead of pudding. But some times I just varied it with Sand paper letters or chalk in drive way, sand in a tray. ect. if it had something "allergic" and I couldn't think of a substitute we just skipped it.

And WELCOME :wink: to the HOD boards.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:43 am

Becca,

I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you to the boards! The ladies have done such a wonderful job of answering your questions. :wink: We are blessed to have such a helpful and uplifiting group of ladies on the board!

We're glad you're here! :D

Blessings,
Carrie